Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

If it is McClaren, and it turns out we end up starting the season with no new faces except another few young French lads, then are you genuinely going to be entering SJP for the first game of the season with a smile on you face and a spring in your step? Not saying you'd be wrong for doing so, I just cannot get my head around someone who would do that, while still wanting Ashley out. The only way I can rationalise it is in terms of how far down Ashley has dragged the club up to now, to the point where not appointing a complete buffoon somehow inspires optimism, even though nothing else is really changing. Even if you think McClaren might be better than Pardew, which I don't think is remotely certain, I don't know why you wouldn't look back at the last few years and at least wait until you know for sure the product's improved, even if only slightly, before resuming Ashley's funding stream.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is McClaren, and it turns out we end up starting the season with no new faces except another few young French lads, then are you genuinely going to be entering SJP for the first game of the season with a smile on you face and a spring in your step? Not saying you'd be wrong for doing so, I just cannot get my head around someone who would do that, while still wanting Ashley out. The only way I can rationalise it is in terms of how far down Ashley has dragged the club up to now, to the point where not appointing a complete buffoon somehow inspires optimism, even though nothing else is really changing. Even if you think McClaren might be better than Pardew, which I don't think is remotely certain, I don't know why you wouldn't look back at the last few years and at least wait until you know for sure the product's improved, even if only slightly, before resuming Ashley's funding stream.

Of course no one would be happy if we signed no first teamers. But yet again, no one said they would be.

Even with our stated transfer policy, it makes perfect sense to get a new manager in place before we start signing players (they have stated the manager doesn't have the final say but he does have a say). So we sort the manager out (not as quickly as it should have happened but soon enough to work on the squad before pre season starts) and then we move onto the players. I've never waited until I knew who we were signing to renew my ticket before so I'm not giving the regieme a thumbs up by doing it now. But even with exactly the same squad as that which ended the season, I'd be confident the product would imrpove. Not enough but certainly at least slightly.

Aye but if this unlikely scenario I've concocted to prove a point happens, you'll be wrong and I'll be right, so. Y'know.... Suck ma plums

Swansea have signed Andre Ayew on a free:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33071470

We were rumoured to be interested weren't we? Not surprised we lost out to Swansea if so, hard to compete with clubs like that especially when you're spending a fucking month trying to sign a manager every fucker knows is going to sign for you.

Bit of a gamble isn't he? Hasn't he got a bad reputation with regards to his attitude?

I see the Mackems signed Ricky Alvarez on loan with an agreement to buy him for £10mil ish if they stayed up. They are currently taking the deal through the courts to get out of it as he's that shit and will likely be their biggest signing of the summer of its enforced :lol:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-uniteds-nearly-team-19956-9466350?

North East sports writer Martin Hardy has written a new book telling the story of the 1995/6 season by interviewing the Newcastle United stars
Kevin Keegan when he was manager of Newcastle UnitedKevin Keegan when he was manager of Newcastle United
At the start of February 1992, Newcastle United were facing relegation to the third tier of English football for the first time in their history. They were also facing bankruptcy. St James’ Park had been neglected, the club’s best players had been sold.
In a daring move, Newcastle appointed Kevin Keegan as manager. Keegan, the two-time European Footballer of the Year, had played for the club between 1982 and 1984. He had been out of football since. His appointment as manager was as big a shock as when he arrived as a player.
Exactly four years after Keegan’s return, Newcastle were top of the Premiership, nine points clear of Manchester United, having played a game less.
North East sports writer MARTIN HARDY tells the story of that remarkable period in his new book, ‘Touching Distance’. He talks to all the key men in the dramatic turnaround, Keegan, Sir John Hall, Les Ferdinand, Faustino Asprilla, Philippe Albert and many more.
It is a story of hopes and dreams and a time when, for Newcastle United, anything seemed possible.
The 85th minute of Newcastle’s final home game of the 1991/92 season had passed and the club was in a relegation place. They were drawing 0–0 against Portsmouth. The last game was away at Leicester, a week later.

Tension was palpable. Sir John Hall had painted an apocalyptic picture of what relegation to the third tier of English football would mean for the club. In his view it would be all over.

In the 86th minute Ray Ranson hoisted a long, angled pass to David Kelly, who flicked the ball to Micky Quinn. Quinn hooked the ball back to Kelly.
He was less than fifteen yards from goal, at the Gallowgate End, his position strikingly similar to when Keegan had scored on his debut. The future of Newcastle United Football Club was now in his hands…
David Kelly was five when he was diagnosed with Perthes’ Disease. He fell out of a tree and broke his leg, and the reason he broke his leg was that the bone in his hip had not grown.
“I was in plaster and on crutches and in a wheelchair,” says Kelly. “It’s a disease that is still here today, you just grow out of it.
“I had a double plaster cast to the end of my foot. I had a metal bar across the middle and my dad used to carry me up the stairs. I was on crutches for years. I used to hobble around with my three legs.
“It wasn’t anything different for me. Them are the cards and you just get on with it, don’t you? I still played football.”
He played for Bartley Green Boys from when he was nine, then he went to West Bromwich Albion and was released. “They said I wasn’t good enough,” he adds. “I was devastated.” He got a job at Cadbury’s as a trolley porter in the factory and played in non-league Alvechurch’s youth team.
Kelly then had a trial at Walsall and got in. He was on £75 a week at Cadbury’s. Walsall gave him £50 a week and a bus pass.
“There was a guy at Cadbury’s called Arthur Hoey and he went, ‘You’ve got a career here for the rest of your life, son. That football thing will never catch on.’ ‘I said, ‘No, I’ve got to give it a go.’”
He scored 63 goals in 147 games for Walsall, became a Republic of Ireland international and got a move to West Ham. “I got slaughtered because I didn’t play very well,” he adds.
He was doing better at Leicester when the new manager Brian Little suggested dropping to the reserves.
“I went, ‘I ain’t happy,’ and, as I did everywhere, I said, ‘I ain’t playing reserve-team football.’ He said, ‘I’m only leaving you out for one game.’
“A week later I was still on the bench. I said, ‘Gaffer, I can’t stay here.’ He said, ‘OK, I’ve had Sunderland in for you.’
“I went to see Denis Smith at Roker Park. He was saying this and that about the club and I said to Denis, ‘I need a bit of time to think about it.’ He said, ‘This is the biggest club you’re going to play for.’
“I said, ‘I don’t deny it’s a big club, but I want to have a think about it.’ I went home. Then Brian Little told me Newcastle were in for me as well.
“I signed for Newcastle because of my Uncle Ronnie’s words. “If you can do it at Newcastle and become their number nine,’ he said, ‘they’ll never forget you.’”
“What was the club like when I joined? Oh, it was a shambles,’ he says.
Still, he was overwhelmed by the passion for the club within the city.
“Newcastle has always had this thing that the support is different,” he adds. “Until you have the time of living there or spending plenty of time there, you don’t realise. People across the UK don’t realise how big they are. I still think that sits today.
“Going and filling your car up on a Sunday morning, everyone wants to talk about the match.
“Everything changed when Kevin came in and Terry Mac was the joker and even Faz (Derek Fazackerley) was laughing with everyone. Training was quicker. The training ground was sorted out.”
Keegan, McDermott and Fazackerley. They were the three men fighting to save a football club.
Finally, the dressing room understood quite how high the stakes of the game they were playing against Portsmouth that day, 25 April 1992, actually were.
In the 86th minute, the man in the Newcastle number nine shirt, there because his Uncle Ronnie from Ireland knew what it meant, steadied himself and hit a right-footed shot.
He shot to give a club a future…
Touching Distance, published by deCourbertin books, will be published on July 30.

:nufc:

Odd isn't it, slap a lass around and stay on the payroll, employ the willing service of a lass in Thailand and get the sack.

A club statement said Leicester City "is acutely aware of its position, and that of its players, as a representative of the city of Leicester, the Premier League, the Football Association and the club's supporters".

...when it comes to the reserves, first team players however.... come on this is business not the happy clappy lefty liberal hour.