Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Not that it can excuse monkey chants and the like, but these things take time and exposure, too. When he was on his year abroad in Belgrade, my fella and his alkie coursemate would occasionally encounter the one black man in Belgrade. That presumably isn't actually true, but it was only ever the same guy they saw - invariably somewhere near the market stalls at Zeleni Venac - so he stuck in the mind.There's no question that Serbia needs to "own" its behaviour, as they say on American reality shows, but as Luke says, it's definitely interesting how "grizzled middle-aged Serbian man" is now the go-to archetype for anyone who needs an evil baddie for their show or movie. Alan Rickman must be fuming.

I miss Alan Rickman.

tumblr_m80p09tb681rxlmf0o1_500.gif

Edited by The Fish

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knew I'd come on here to find a load of anti serb stuff.

Of course, any racist abuse is utterly deplorable and if there is evidence that the Serb fans did so then they should be punished accordingly. And clearly the football crowds unfortunately do have a significant hooligan and racist element to them, like Britain did not so long ago, and depending where you sit in what ground still exists today. Chelsea and Anton Ferdinand, for example.

But then broad generalisations on the behaviour and attitudes of an entire country are racist also. I'm not just talking about xenephobic, knuckle dragging, ignorant and loudmouth dickheads like Stevie dishing out "the worst people in Europe" (I'll pass that on to my family, thank you) but stuff I've read in the press also refer to the Serbian people as one, homogenous racist entity. Every condemnation by most reasonable people of Islamic fundamentalists is rightly qualified with "of course, the vast majority of muslims are tolerant, peace loving and condemn the actions of extremists" yet this is a luxury never afforded to the Serbs, if you want to make them the bad guys in your film/TV series/newspaper articles then it's open season.

living in Slovenia, I'm told the Serbians are the good guys and i should hate Croatians ;-)

As a side note, Serbians I've met in person are just normal people and the racist element is definitely a minority. Football there is a bit cheaper there so you get more of the wrong types of society turning up for their games.

13th March 2013 - Croatia vs Serbia - now that will be interesting

Edited by themags

living in Slovenia, I'm told the Serbians are the good guys and i should hate Croatians ;-)

As a side note, Serbians I've met in person are just normal people and the racist element is definitely a minority. Football there is a bit cheaper there so you get more of the wrong types of society turning up for their games.

13th March 2013 - Croatia vs Serbia - now that will be interesting

Did the Slovenians collaborate with Hitler too? ;)

As for the Croats, they were Stalin's bitches.

Nothing new under the sun.....the only thing I found when we played in Belgrade was all the taxi drivers had a pistol tucked into their belts...dont think they had many fares doing a runner :glare:

as its a Wikl-fest on here today, here's my contribution...after the riot between Dinamo and Red Star in 1990 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinamo_Zagreb%E2%80%93Red_Star_Belgrade_riot these lads http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Blue_Boys basically became part of the Croatian Army, and the Red Star mob were associated with Arkan http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,1123137,00.html

In other words, they make the Chelsea Headhunters look like boy scouts...

Knew I'd come on here to find a load of anti serb stuff.

Of course, any racist abuse is utterly deplorable and if there is evidence that the Serb fans did so then they should be punished accordingly. And clearly the football crowds unfortunately do have a significant hooligan and racist element to them, like Britain did not so long ago, and depending where you sit in what ground still exists today. Chelsea and Anton Ferdinand, for example.

But then broad generalisations on the behaviour and attitudes of an entire country are racist also. I'm not just talking about xenephobic, knuckle dragging, ignorant and loudmouth dickheads like Stevie dishing out "the worst people in Europe" (I'll pass that on to my family, thank you) but stuff I've read in the press also refer to the Serbian people as one, homogenous racist entity. Every condemnation by most reasonable people of Islamic fundamentalists is rightly qualified with "of course, the vast majority of muslims are tolerant, peace loving and condemn the actions of extremists" yet this is a luxury never afforded to the Serbs, if you want to make them the bad guys in your film/TV series/newspaper articles then it's open season.

Shut the fuck up you cowardly tosser. Show me anything like Sebrenica from any other European country in the last 50 years. Even amongst the nazi's there would've been good people, but as a collective group, Serbia has more previous than anyone for lacking racial tolerance and being down right wronguns which is why these events keep happening there. When Newcastle played Partizan our fans had to be taken in by the British Embassy over fears for their safety.

Did the Slovenians collaborate with Hitler too? ;)

Nothing new under the sun.....the only thing I found when we played in Belgrade was all the taxi drivers had a pistol tucked into their belts...dont think they had many fares doing a runner :glare:

as its a Wikl-fest on here today, here's my contribution...after the riot between Dinamo and Red Star in 1990 http://en.wikipedia....r_Belgrade_riot these lads http://en.wikipedia....i/Bad_Blue_Boys basically became part of the Croatian Army, and the Red Star mob were associated with Arkan http://observer.guar...1123137,00.html

In other words, they make the Chelsea Headhunters look like boy scouts...

Bandits man.

Shut the fuck up you cowardly tosser. Show me anything like Sebrenica from any other European country in the last 50 years. Even amongst the nazi's there would've been good people, but as a collective group, Serbia has more previous than anyone for lacking racial tolerance and being down right wronguns which is why these events keep happening there. When Newcastle played Partizan our fans had to be taken in by the British Embassy over fears for their safety.

Croatians supported Germany and set up concentration camps in the same way the Nazis did. They were so brutal in their methods that even the Nazis were shocked and disgusted. I suggest you read up on Jasenovac and the Ustasis to gain some insight.

The Croatians did some truly vile and shocking stuff during WWII that would come to haunt them later. The Serbs sure didnt forget.

No one should have to come on here and have their nationality described as "the worst people in Europe". We're talking about racist chanting at a football match - a well known gathering ground for the worst in every society - which is a disgrace, but to start generalising about a nation and referencing war atrocities is out of order and shouldn't be allowed.

Croatians supported Germany and set up concentration camps in the same way the Nazis did. They were so brutal in their methods that even the Nazis were shocked and disgusted. I suggest you read up on Jasenovac and the Ustasis to gain some insight.

The Croatians did some truly vile and shocking stuff during WWII that would come to haunt them later. The Serbs sure didnt forget.

Yeah you're right, Serbia always supported the Russians,I got that the wrong way round.

No one should have to come on here and have their nationality described as "the worst people in Europe". We're talking about racist chanting at a football match - a well known gathering ground for the worst in every society - which is a disgrace, but to start generalising about a nation and referencing war atrocities is out of order and shouldn't be allowed.

I think the very nature of those atrocities, and how recently they were (we signed Ginola the same week they happened) we're not talking about the 40's here, add weight to illustrating what a huge section of their society is like. They're poorly governed bandits (as a generalisation) compared to any Western European country.

Laughable the au contraire cunts on here to be honest, people criticising Serb tolerance of racism and general malevolence will be told they're wrong the next time the Serbs act themselves and they comment too.

Inclined to agree with Gemmill here tbh

if we're talking racism can we keep it to football stuff at least. Nazi concentration camps weren't particularly involved in the England U21 game the other day.

Yeah you're right, Serbia always supported the Russians,I got that the wrong way round.

Aye which is why Serbs write in cyrillic, they've long been aligned to the old USSR and Croats write the roman way.

I think the very nature of those atrocities, and how recently they were (we signed Ginola the same week they happened) we're not talking about the 40's here, add weight to illustrating what a huge section of their society is like. They're poorly governed bandits (as a generalisation) compared to any Western European country.

Laughable the au contraire cunts on here to be honest, people criticising Serb tolerance of racism and general malevolence will be told they're wrong the next time the Serbs act themselves and they comment too.

Its not about being contrary. Its simply a matter of having a different outlook to the resident xenophobe.

Its not about being contrary. Its simply a matter of having a different outlook to the resident xenophobe.

Leazes isn't on here any more, and I thought you had Lake Bells Tits on ignore?

Edited by McFaul

Nazi concentration camps weren't particularly involved in the England U21 game the other day.

I agree, but if we are to talk about srbenica then Jasenovac and the Ustatis has to be mentioned too. The Croats werent any better than the serbs, and while 20 years ago is more recent - 70 years ago isnt as far back as people like to think either.

Xenophobic :lol: Mentioning a country which systematically murdered 8,000 men, women and children at gun point in a 2 day shooting spree, for no good reason, just SEVENTEEN years ago, massively xenophobic that like.

Edited by McFaul

Aye which is why Serbs write in cyrillic, they've long been aligned to the old USSR and Croats write the roman way.

Nonsense, it goes back far longer than that and is religion-based more than anything else.

Nonsense, it goes back far longer than that.

So them using cyrillic (as opposed to roman writing) had nothing to do with them sharing common ground with old Russia and other Northern Slavic countries?

So them using cyrillic (as opposed to roman writing) had nothing to do with them sharing common ground with old Russia and other Northern Slavic countries?

It's certainly got nothing to do with the USSR as you said. We're talking the origins of Orthodoxy vs. Catholicism, long before the Soviet Union existed, hence the geographically most Southern Slavic languages - Bulgarian, Macedonian - also being written in Cyrillic. (The USSR, funnily enough, wasn't too keen on religion.)

Xenophobic :lol: Mentioning a country which systematically murdered 8,000 men, women and children at gun point in a 2 day shooting spree, for no good reason, just SEVENTEEN years ago, massively xenophobic that like.

Mentioned following an incident of racist chanting at a football match ffs. And you mentioned it as a means of generalising about a population and to point score in a football thread against a poster with Serbian family.

Does that all sound reasonable to you, does it?

It's certainly got nothing to do with the USSR as you said. We're talking the origins of Orthodoxy vs. Catholicism, hence the Southern Slavic languages - Bulgarian, Macedonian - also being written in Cyrillic. The USSR, funnily enough, wasn't too keen on religion.

Well you're splitting hairs with the old USSR, USSR/Russia same fing innit. USSR was only around as an entity for about 80 years anyway.