Will 40 points be enough?

Monroe Transfer

I see this mythical figure being constantly referred to as enough to stay up. Now firstly I'm not sure that that's the case - didn't West Ham go down one season after passing the 40 point barrier?

My main worry is that the sides below us are capable of picking up points. Sides like West Ham for example have strengthened signifcantly by bringing in players like Keane.

Picking up 10 points with 14 points to go should be doable, don't get me wrong. I just think it might not be as simple as that. We're looking behind us now.

Edited by Tecato

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 points as the magical goal as that has been the most any team has ever been relegated with in the Premier League hence that being the target.

Got to remember, those league tables had a few teams who had some really low amount of points! Sunderland, Derby, etc.

42 points as the magical goal as that has been the most any team has ever been relegated with in the Premier League hence that being the target.

Got to remember, those league tables had a few teams who had some really low amount of points! Sunderland, Derby, etc.

It's not, but I think it is the most points anyone has been relegated on since it went to 20 teams / 38 games. However, even using that flawed logic, wouldn't that make the magical target 43 points? :lol:

It's not, but I think it is the most points anyone has been relegated on since it went to 20 teams / 38 games. However, even using that flawed logic, wouldn't that make the magical target 43 points? :lol:

I will leave you to tell Pardew that one Alex! I am sure he will ask you for a shovel for him to bury his grave as it cant get any better than that!

It hasnt been above 38 points since the 2002/3 season where West Ham, West Brom and the Mackems (on 19 points) went down.

I reckon 35-37 points will be the drop this time with at least 3 teams sweating it for the last place. Goal difference will decide it.

I also reckon we'll scrape 40 points+ and finish around 15th

40 points should be enough. bottom 3 teams will need to win more games than theyve won all season to get to 40. Still, it will be squeaky bum time but if we can manage to pick up a few points in the run of games after Arsenal we'll be ok.

40 points should be enough. bottom 3 teams will need to win more games than theyve won all season to get to 40. Still, it will be squeaky bum time but if we can manage to pick up a few points in the run of games after Arsenal we'll be ok.

Form guide says it all. Blackpool in free-fall.

Pts home Pts Away Last 6

10 Newcastle United 9 4 8

11 Aston Villa 7 5 8

12 West Ham United 8 8 8

13 Stoke City 10 7 6

14 Birmingham City 7 5 6

15 Everton 6 6 6

16 Wolverhampton Wanderers 9 3 6

17 West Bromwich Albion 7 3 4

18 Bolton Wanderers 11 3 4

19 Wigan Athletic 6 6 3

20 Blackpool 6 8 3

We might struggle to get 40 points. Having no goals from the front men means you lose matches you should have drawn and draw matches you should have won.

I think our defence is key to staying up, which means Tiote staying fit & out of trouble till the end of the season. Cos I can't see us scoring more than one goal in a match based on the Fulham performance.

We might struggle to get 40 points. Having no goals from the front men means you lose matches you should have drawn and draw matches you should have won.

I think our defence is key to staying up, which means Tiote staying fit & out of trouble till the end of the season. Cos I can't see us scoring more than one goal in a match based on the Fulham performance.

thats Fulham's tactic. Average a goal or less per game, but they're also 4th best defense currently in league (on form)

They've also had their strikers out injured for long periods, to be fair.

At least they've got more than decent options up front, regardless of whether they've been injured or not. I wouldn't say no to Johnson, Zamora and Dembele.

true. looks like we'll be playing Kevin "10 goals" Nolan up front then

9 points to go...

Survival is all I want. If we can confirm it, I'll put up with whatever comes our way between now and June. Be it on 40 points or whatever it takes. All I'm thinking about now is staying up. Desperate for it. Don't like feeling this nervous.

Slim glimmer of hope that the Carroll money will be properly invested in the summer and we'll be a lot stronger and better balanced next season. Still quite a way to go, and 2 difficult away fixtures coming up.