Fulham

Blackpool (!!!)

Wolves

Stoke

-------

Birmingham

West Brom

Wigan

West Brom have some v. difficult games coming up, so even Woy won't save them.

Edited by dbsweeney

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we shouldn't go down, it would be an amazing collapse, although as we have won 9 and lost 11 it is bottom half of the league results and we still need some points.

Blackpool are in freefall now too.

I can't believe we're on the verge of being in this position again.

I get stick that I deserve for my pessimism but I always believed we'd stay up. Now I'm not so sure - so much rides on the next match and the one after it.

We can't afford to lose either of them. Lets face it both teams are shite. Wolves have won 2/15 away games - at Villa and Liverpool who were both in dogshot form at the time. Villa are also shit now, and there's massive unrest with Houllier.

2 weeks to regroup now, get Jonas, Barton and Best fully fit and do enough to beat Wolves. Huge game.

We've won one home game since the start of December (2 since the Derby win in October) - why are people surprised we're approaching deep shit?

8 games left and 3 are non-starters - if we lose to Wolves I think its a serious possibility.

Time to put that rite though isnt it? I dont think the players will want a repeat of the relegation season and i personally think we have much more spirit in the camp. Too much to just lay down and die.

We will be ok. A win against Wolves and a couple results go our way and we can breath easy a bit.

Time to put that rite though isnt it? I dont think the players will want a repeat of the relegation season and i personally think we have much more spirit in the camp. Too much to just lay down and die.

We will be ok. A win against Wolves and a couple results go our way and we can breath easy a bit.

Really, you realise they get paid regardless?

Just like 08/09 those that are good enough will go to teams that want them, the rest - well I'm looking forward to Smith being captain again.

Well, see a few posts up the page............this time a week ago I thought we would scrape the points needed, now I am not so sure.

Lose against Wolves and the wolves are calling [excuse the pun]

Just like 08/09 those that are good enough will go to teams that want them, the rest - well I'm looking forward to Smith being captain again.

Of course but i actually do believe that we have a squad in which alot more players CARE about the football club.

I honestly think we will be ok.

Of course but i actually do believe that we have a squad in which alot more players CARE about the football club.

I honestly think we will be ok.

I think we will be ok as last time we had too many idiots in the team who couldn't care and were just happy to pick up their wages each week. Like you say I think more players in this squad seem to care about the club or maybe I'm being hopeful that they do. Just need Pardew to stop playing stupid formations and picking Sol Campbell! Though maybes I'm being harsh there on Sol, as it is after all a team effort!

Had a look at the table earlier and what's worse is that it's only 6 points above bottom as well. I know Wigan are shit but to have no one team completely gone so 3 places available gives more scope for worry imo.

God knows what will happen. What I do believe is that the current state of affairs is purely down to the sale of Carroll.

Deciding during January that we were okay for strikers regardless of Carroll was the big fuckup in my view.

God knows what will happen. What I do believe is that the current state of affairs is purely down to the sale of Carroll.

Deciding during January that we were okay for strikers regardless of Carroll was the big fuckup in my view.

Very true. Think anyone could see Best, Ameobi and Lovenkrands were never going get the goals Shame the people who matter didn't think about it enough!

Still don't think we will go down.. But I'm starting to think I may be being a bit naive.

A lose against Wolves and I think something close to full blown panic would be justified.

I dont think we'll go down, but fuck me we're trying our hardest. Teams below us are all mostly picking up points while we aren't. Villa are struggling as much as us. The GD we have could prove invaluable as well.

Note, this is exactly what I said around this point of the 08/09 season :cuppa:

Guest Your Name Here

We currently have the third worst home record in the PL, but even if this form at SJP continues it would see us end up with 41 points without picking up anything on our travels. The only way we’ll get go down is if we lose our next three games and the players crumble under the pressure of being in the dog fight.

If we’d kept Carroll and Routledge I’d have 99% certain of safely negotiating the run in, but we didn’t and a lack of goals means we are sailing too close to the wind for comfort.

The only way we’ll get go down is if we lose our next three games and the players crumble under the pressure of being in the dog fight.

My take on those 3 is that Wolves have got some decent results lately so that worries me. For Villa I fear the 6-0 revenge factor making a difference and Liverpool is a complete non-starter. If the Man U game is scheduled in that period (another obvious loss) then we'd be in deep shit with 4 games left.

I know its a negative view but as I keep saying we just can't ignore the fact that we have an abysmal strike force and don't look like scoring. Ever.

Obviously we are in a stronger (league) position than then but it's very similar to the January we went down in that the Fat Cunt took a gamble on our safety. Although I wasn't happy you can understand his letting Carroll go but what made no sense was not at least securing someone like Sturridge on loan and also allowing Routledge to go at a time when we were already short of attacking options (Carroll's move notwithstanding). I think we'll just about be alright but we're some way from safety at the moment.

Edited by alex

Guest Your Name Here
The only way we’ll get go down is if we lose our next three games and the players crumble under the pressure of being in the dog fight.

My take on those 3 is that Wolves have got some decent results lately so that worries me. For Villa I fear the 6-0 revenge factor making a difference and Liverpool is a complete non-starter. If the Man U game is scheduled in that period (another obvious loss) then we'd be in deep shit with 4 games left.

I know its a negative view but as I keep saying we just can't ignore the fact that we have an abysmal strike force and don't look like scoring. Ever.

Probably increases the chances of them losing some time soon. It’s not really about our opponents, it’s about us and how the players respond to the first real pressure we’ve encountered since we were relegated. I think the diminishing team spirit will see us through, but if you’re in the dogfight at the tail end of the season momentum is important.

I think we’ll be OK. Given how the first half of our season went some stability and a moderate investment in January would have seen us in a far more comfortable position.