Pardew aiming for Europe (7th)

toonotl

To be honest, when Keegan was manager, all we needed was a couple of good signings and we would have been back in europe or serious contention.

This season, because of our very well organised back four, and good tackling in midfield, we could have done the same thing with a couple of good forward signings. Instead, he has sold our prize striker.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An inability to score when dominating possession or to defend a lead doesn't constitute bad luck. Not that 4 points clear in 7th would see us home and dry in any case. You can point to 'bad luck' etc. in one match but the argument gets a bit tenuous to say the least when it relies on mulitple results going differently. We should've won those games like.

We should.

And while I dont disagree with where you are coming from, conceding a goal two weeks in a row in injury time is still unlucky in my book.

Course its possible and but for some atrocious luck it would already be signed, sealed, delivered.

Overstating it slightly like.

Last minute goals against Sunderland and Tottenham and the performance against Blackburn should have us 4 points clear in 7th already. Thats long before we get into all the other "so nearly" games and the injuries to Carroll and Ben Arfa.

Thats football though :lol:

but we didn't hang onto those leads, or get another goal and finish the games off.

And the reason is :

not the quality to do it. Simple as that.

With the greatest of respect Leazes, you should see if medical science can put you into ones of those deep sleep programs and we'll wake you back up when we are in the top four again.

no, you're wrong too. It is as simple as that. A better team, with more quality and we would have won more games especially those 3 in question. You can make as many excuses as you like, but your final league positions tells you how good you are and those points, lost or not won depending on whether you think your glass if half full or half empty, will obviously either place the club a few positions higher or lower. You are just making it over complicated but that is all it boils down to in the end.

When we went down, we went down by one point. One single save from Given, a free kick from Milner, a dribble and setup by N'Zogbia. Any of those at the right time, by 3 players who should not have been sold or made to feel disillusioned with the club, and we could have got that single extra point.

Thats why I said...."Thats football though" :lol:

An inability to score when dominating possession or to defend a lead doesn't constitute bad luck. Not that 4 points clear in 7th would see us home and dry in any case. You can point to 'bad luck' etc. in one match but the argument gets a bit tenuous to say the least when it relies on mulitple results going differently. We should've won those games like.

We should.

And while I dont disagree with where you are coming from, conceding a goal two weeks in a row in injury time is still unlucky in my book.

Poor defending in mine.

Course its possible and but for some atrocious luck it would already be signed, sealed, delivered.

Overstating it slightly like.

Last minute goals against Sunderland and Tottenham and the performance against Blackburn should have us 4 points clear in 7th already. Thats long before we get into all the other "so nearly" games and the injuries to Carroll and Ben Arfa.

Thats football though :lol:

but we didn't hang onto those leads, or get another goal and finish the games off.

And the reason is :

not the quality to do it. Simple as that.

With the greatest of respect Leazes, you should see if medical science can put you into ones of those deep sleep programs and we'll wake you back up when we are in the top four again.

no, you're wrong too. It is as simple as that. A better team, with more quality and we would have won more games especially those 3 in question. You can make as many excuses as you like, but your final league positions tells you how good you are and those points, lost or not won depending on whether you think your glass if half full or half empty, will obviously either place the club a few positions higher or lower. You are just making it over complicated but that is all it boils down to in the end.

When we went down, we went down by one point. One single save from Given, a free kick from Milner, a dribble and setup by N'Zogbia. Any of those at the right time, by 3 players who should not have been sold or made to feel disillusioned with the club, and we could have got that single extra point.

Thats why I said...."Thats football though" :lol:

luck evens out over a league season. The teams who hold onto these leads more than others, or score the 2nd goal to kill the game, do it because they have the quality to do it.

Cup ties are a different kettle of fish by virtue of their instant knock out formula mind, although the aim is to have the quality team and hope you perform on the day.

I'll be made up when, if, we survive this season. That's enough for me after all the shit that's gone on. Talk of Europe seems a bit silly somehow, maybe if we're in pole position with 5 games left I might get excited about it......

In one of Lee Ryders pieces today, he says that winning the Europa gets the club an extra 9 million.

But that into transfer context and its not a great deal really is it and explains why its a bigger thing for fans than owners.

Saying all that Pardew is right to focus on looking upwards.

I would rather he is motivating them with a push for Europe than looking over their shoulders at relegation. Mindsets and all that.

In one of Lee Ryders pieces today, he says that winning the Europa gets the club an extra 9 million.

But that into transfer context and its not a great deal really is it and explains why its a bigger thing for fans than owners.

I would rather he is motivating them with a push for Europe than looking over their shoulders at relegation. Mindsets and all that.

What? if you consider that our club is worth, say, £100m, being in the Europa League for one season is worth just under a tenth of the clubs total value. It also puts the club into a different bracket in terms of attracting new players and/or securing contract extensions for existing players. Given the apathy that fans appear to show the Europa League, when you're talking about attendances, I'd say it's a bigger thing for owners than fans.

Not a chance we'll make Europe.. Not even considering it.

Survival is all I'm thinking about.

All?

Shirley you're thinking about a top half finish by now?

Not a chance we'll make Europe.. Not even considering it.

Survival is all I'm thinking about.

All?

Shirley you're thinking about a top half finish by now?

Nope. Once/if we're mathematically safe, then I'll start looking to see where we can end up, be it top half or not.

Either way I can't see us finishing in a European spot and I think people should be realistic about it.

What? if you consider that our club is worth, say, £100m, being in the Europa League for one season is worth just under a tenth of the clubs total value. It also puts the club into a different bracket in terms of attracting new players and/or securing contract extensions for existing players. Given the apathy that fans appear to show the Europa League, when you're talking about attendances, I'd say it's a bigger thing for owners than fans.

You miss my point Mr Fish or I havent stated it clearly.

Quite often clubs will break into the top ten and then fans moans about the need to spend and push on for europe. What Im saying is that for a lot of owners, the investment needed to "push on", doesnt justify the possible outcome of competing, never mind winning.

9 million would get you one five million player plus wages. (And thats if you won).

As a fan I couldnt care about that and would relish being in Europe and also agree it helps with player recruitment.

I think the 9m is only if you win it. You get fuck all for playing six rounds against Viking FC in Iceland or whatever. iirc it takes ages to get to a meaningful match and you need a decent squad to cope with all the travelling and injuries. For fuck all money basically unless you get to the latter stages.