Pardew aiming for Europe (7th)

toonotl

has birmingham winning today crushed our slim hope for europe?

Well it can't go to 7th now.

Only 5th is a guaranteed European place.

what if Birmingham go down?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think they still qualify for the Europa League, don't they?

Think they still qualify for the Europa League, don't they?

Aye. Didnt Millwall do that a few seasons back?

Get into Europe I mean. I cant recall what happened. something like they were runner up and Man Utd were in Europe anyway?

Got to the cup final (Tim Cahill scored the winner against the mackems in the semi iirc) and lost to Man Utd who were already in the CL anyway. So Millwall went into the Uefa Cup with good old, lovable Dennis Wise and promptly lost in the first round.

Edit: It was the FA Cup Final like, not that I could see how that would make a difference to Brum, especially seeing as they've actually won the League Cup. I think Birmingham'll stay up anyway. I'm not sure if teams can opt out of Europe if they do qualify but I think they can because there was some talk about Reading doing that if they'd qualified via the league a few seasons back as Coppell thought they didn't have the squad to cope. As it turned out, they didn't qualify anyway.

Edited by alex

I dont think we will either, while we will be ok, I see us finishing around 10th anyway. Still a huge achievement as it stands all things considered.

I dont think we will either, while we will be ok, I see us finishing around 10th anyway. Still a huge achievement as it stands all things considered.

9th or 10th for me as well. We've got games coming up against sides we couldn't break down when we had better strikers, nevermind the current crop.

I don't think anybody would be disappointed with us finishing 10th to be honest, I thought we would struggle this season!

It's important we push on though and aim for a top 7 finish next season

It would be mildly disappointing given where we are now and taking into account some of the points we have thrown away....

But on the whole most (myself included) would have taken it in a heartbeat if we were offered 10th place at the start of the season.

Nothing is sewn up yet, but I'd say Birmingham's victory has just about put an end to the European ambitions.

So lets get one thring straight...Top 4 in CL and 5th is EL? 6th is EL also if a top 5 team wins the FA Cup?

Yep. Unless Tottenham or Chelsea win the CL and finish 5th.

Well there's still hope.

Either way we should be aiming as high as possible.

no if anyone who finishes outside the top 4 wins the cl the 4th placed league team loses their cl spot and the uefa spot goes to them instead of 5th, no country can have more than 4 cl entrants thanks to liverpool screwing it up a few years back

I see the bottom clubs picking up points on a fairly regular basis and I still worry for our safety.

One bad run and we'd potentially be in trouble again.

As things stand we should be alright but at the moment they're all showing that they're capable of picking up points. There are no relegation certainties this year like there usually is.

Edited by Tecato

I see the bottom clubs picking up points on a fairly regular basis and I still worry for our safety.

As things stand we should be alright but at the moment they're all showing that they're capable of picking up points. There are no relegation certainties this year like there usually is.

We are safe man...no fear of us getting dragged into it at all.

My thoughts entirely. Let your hair down and cut the pessimism.

My thoughts entirely. Let your hair down and cut the pessimism.

Exactly. If the lads thought like that then we would be screwed.

It pays in life to be positive.