Newcastle United V Everton

Christmas Tree

Maybe not...But it looks good in theory :(

Its a quality formation with the right players.

Solid through the core with 6 bodies rather than 4 in the middle, keeps the width too but needs hard working fullbacks.

Edited by Tioté's Nutz

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------Willo----------Colo------------Taylor---------------

Simpson--------------------------------------------------- Jose-----

--------------------------Tiote-------Guthrie---------------------------

----------------------Nolan---------Jonas or Ireland----------------

-------------------------------Best-----------------------------------------

If Guthrie isn't fit then Nolan there and Lovenkrands in behind Best. Simpson and Jose to provide width with Tiote sitting in front of back 3 both Nolan and Ireland have goals in them. Would like to see us try this but doubt it will happen he will just shove Guthrie on the right where he's even shitter than in the middle.

No, no, no, no, no.

When have we ever played well with three centrebacks?

Keegan tried it, Sir Bobby tried it, it just doesn't work for us.

It would with the right players though.

I actually think this could work...

---Harper---

Williamson---Taylor---Coloccini

Simpson-------------Tiote--------------Enrique

Barton---Nolan---Ireland

---Best---

When Barfa and Shola is back...

---Harper---

Williamson---Taylor---Coloccini

Simpson------------------------------Enrique

Barton---Tiote---Ireland

---Ben Arfa---

---Shola---

It's too risky playing a formation which the players probably have never played before and the tactics would have too completely change, it'd be alot mroe sensible changing one player to a different position than totally re-arranging the whole team

Why wouldn't or couldn't it work with 3 at the back.

I was weaned on 2 full-backs, 3 half-backs, and 5 forwards and it worked for years & years

Any formation can & will work with the right calibre of player's in the right positions.

I was weaned on 2 full-backs, 3 half-backs, and 5 forwards and it worked for years & years

Any formation can & will work with the right calibre of player's in the right positions.

Correct.

Whilst coaching the kids i tried this out quite a bit...especially as a few of them just loved running so in turn got turned into fullbacks. Two of the lads i coached are now on youth contracts at sunderland.

My point is if you have a squad who are willing to listen and adapt then its a very strong formation both in attack and defence. Wing backs HAVE to be hard working for it to work though and personally i think Enrique and Simpson would do well in that shape.

Correct.

Whilst coaching the kids i tried this out quite a bit...especially as a few of them just loved running so in turn got turned into fullbacks. Two of the lads i coached are now on youth contracts at sunderland.

My point is if you have a squad who are willing to listen and adapt then its a very strong formation both in attack and defence. Wing backs HAVE to be hard working for it to work though and personally i think Enrique and Simpson would do well in that shape.

I get where your coming from, but it wasn't Premiership football was it? No doubt it looks good on paper but playing it for 90 minutes against a good Premiership team and familiarising each player with a different position and tactics in just one week, IMO it would't work, plus i think having Enrique out on the left by himself would totally nullify his threat going forward and defensively, fair enough Gutierrez is poor but he does link up well with Enrique

Correct.

I get where your coming from, but it wasn't Premiership football was it? No doubt it looks good on paper but playing it for 90 minutes against a good Premiership team and familiarising each player with a different position and tactics in just one week, IMO it would't work, plus i think having Enrique out on the left by himself would totally nullify his threat going forward and defensively, fair enough Gutierrez is poor but he does link up well with Enrique

Maybes i'm missing the point, but by putting Enrique in a Wingback position you are increasing is ability and frequency to get forward, to leap frog Jonas and get into those attacking positions, Jose has a real engine on him, he's fast and strong, it could be the ideal position for him and to be honest, he seems at times to play as a wingback anyway

Correct.

Nobody knows until you try it.

Pardew tried something similar against Bolton and we looked decent. Edit: At times in second half.

Enrique down the left on his own would probably suit him mate...Jonas doesnt offer alot these days and i think having the protection of 3 CB's and 3 in the engine room he would have more licence to do what he does best.

Edited by Tioté's Nutz

Correct.

Maybes i'm missing the point, but by putting Enrique in a Wingback position you are increasing is ability and frequency to get forward, to leap frog Jonas and get into those attacking positions, Jose has a real engine on him, he's fast and strong, it could be the ideal position for him and to be honest, he seems at times to play as a wingback anyway

Somebody who knows what he's talking about! :(

I think Simpson would thrive in that role too.

Correct.

Somebody who knows what he's talking about! :(

I think Simpson would thrive in that role too.

the fact that we've got tiote means both wilson (nolie) and Jose could be encouraged to attack more often, Tiote can sit deep to cover that advance, whilst i'm confident Jose can do it, does Simpson have the stamina to do it for 90 mins?? i can't think of may fullbacks who have the fitness and strength to be an effective wingback (cole as much as I don't like him can play as a wingback)

Correct.

Pardew tried something similar against Bolton and we looked decent. Edit: At times in second half.

Enrique down the left on his own would probably suit him mate...Jonas doesnt offer alot these days and i think having the protection of 3 CB's and 3 in the engine room he would have more licence to do what he does best.

I do know where your coming from, don't get me wrong, but i think it's a bit one dimensional, more than 70% of our play comes down the left hand side, and Enrique thrives playing behind Gutierrez as he overlaps Gutierrez's runs and when Gutierrez goes far wide it gives Enrique the chance to drive infield with the ball, a thing which he's doing more and more and i think having Enrique being out there by himself, he'd just get frustrated as he'd be unable to do the runs he does with a player infront of him, he's got a cracking engine and is IMO the best LB around atm but i think its asking a bit much of him

Also i think we'll have a problem scoring goals with one upfront, and going back to the point i made before not only Enrique would have to adapt to a new position but most of the team will and the tactics would have to completely change too

Correct.

I do know where your coming from, don't get me wrong, but i think it's a bit one dimensional, more than 70% of our play comes down the left hand side, and Enrique thrives playing behind Gutierrez as he overlaps Gutierrez's runs and when Gutierrez goes far wide it gives Enrique the chance to drive infield with the ball, a thing which he's doing more and more and i think having Enrique being out there by himself, he'd just get frustrated as he'd be unable to do the runs he does with a player infront of him, he's got a cracking engine and is IMO the best LB around atm but i think its asking a bit much of him

Also i think we'll have a problem scoring goals with one upfront, and going back to the point i made before not only Enrique would have to adapt to a new position but most of the team will and the tactics would have to completely change too

I mean no disrespect mate but your clueless.

One dimensional? Anything but fella, solid through the middle meaning barton seeing more of the ball in the crucial area of the pitch. As too with Nolan or Ireland...and keeping the width. More width probably.

One striker...Yeah we need a new striker or two anyways dont we? But with Ben Arfa in the whole we'd get goals.

Your opinion on Enrique is bollocks too mate, he doesnt need Jonas at all and he wouldnt need to adapt to fullback...he already plays as one but with more restraints.

Edited by Tioté's Nutz

3 at the back seemed to be a Venables inspired fad in the nineties. Now no one in the top divison plays it anywhere near regularly.

The idea was the spare man at the back would pick up the "Beardsley" or "Sheringham" playing in the gap between midfield and the player leading the line. I think most teams playing 3 up front (when attacking, only one when defending) nowadays put paid to it as you need 4 for a spare man v 3 coming at you.

Its big failing was,as been pointed out, fullbacks not being able to do it, leaving teams with little or no width. The best manager at that system was Martin O'Neil, but even he had dropped it by the time he got to Villa. Thing of the past at the top level. Can anyone name a side who won any major silverware with that system?.....

3 at the back seemed to be a Venables inspired fad in the nineties. Now no one in the top divison plays it anywhere near regularly.

The idea was the spare man at the back would pick up the "Beardsley" or "Sheringham" playing in the gap between midfield and the player leading the line. I think most teams playing 3 up front (when attacking, only one when defending) nowadays put paid to it as you need 4 for a spare man v 3 coming at you.

Its big failing was,as been pointed out, fullbacks not being able to do it, leaving teams with little or no width. The best manager at that system was Martin O'Neil, but even he had dropped it by the time he got to Villa. Thing of the past at the top level. Can anyone name a side who won any major silverware with that system?.....

Fair point. But like i and you have said, alot of it falls down to the wing backs being able to cover the ground. Able to assist attack bombing on ang getting in crosses as well as getting back to defend.

But, that in mind, if played properly and consistently, players gettin used to the shape would lead to being strong all over the pitch.

3 CB's for 2 Strikers, Tiote dropping deep and closing space down and still with your normal 2 CM's battling it out in the middle as with a 4-4-2.

Defensively its sound once the players adapt. Something that needs a lot of work on through a pre-season.

This is just a tactical debate however....i dont for one minute think we would adapt such an approach but id like to see it tested.

Correct.

I mean no disrespect mate but your clueless.

One dimensional? Anything but fella, solid through the middle meaning barton seeing more of the ball in the crucial area of the pitch. As too with Nolan or Ireland...and keeping the width. More width probably.

One striker...Yeah we need a new striker or two anyways dont we? But with Ben Arfa in the whole we'd get goals.

Your opinion on Enrique is bollocks too mate, he doesnt need Jonas at all and he wouldnt need to adapt to fullback...he already plays as one but with more restraints.

Are you actually serious? It may work on Football Manager or Fifa but in the Premiership, Howay man, think about it? As PaddockLad said no one plays it anymore because it isn't successful, Enrique is the best LB around but he cant do the work of 2 men, and neither can Simpson, your asking them to attack, defend, cover both the oppositions wide men and get out wide without the opposition picking them up and marking them out the game? And your saying about Ben Arfa, Barton etc playing the formation, they're injured.

Why change a formation that has been largely successful for us and suits the players we have as they've been playing there, their whole careers, and then total bin that formation and risk it on a formation that no team plays anymore apart from the Andorra's and Liechensteins of this world and thats only to stop them conceding goals, playing 5-3-1-1 or however you want to name it has too many drawbacks instead of just tweaking a player or two around when the time comes to do so

Guest LeazesLad

You coming up Idioteque? I think 1-1, too many players missing to think we'll definitely win, no one ever hammers Everton, I can't think of the last time you conceded 4 goals for example. You're very well organised, difficult to break down, Moyes should be an Italian manager not one in the Premiership, I've always found your style really dull to be honest. Last exciting Everton team was about 96 with Kanchelskis at his peak. I tell you what it is, even in the pubs before the game when we play Everton here, there's a definite animosity between the two sets of fans like, why do you think that is? Many you bringing up? Could be a sell out if you bring the lot looking at the tracker on .co.uk

You coming up Idioteque? I think 1-1, too many players missing to think we'll definitely win, no one ever hammers Everton, I can't think of the last time you conceded 4 goals for example. You're very well organised, difficult to break down, Moyes should be an Italian manager not one in the Premiership, I've always found your style really dull to be honest. Last exciting Everton team was about 96 with Kanchelskis at his peak. I tell you what it is, even in the pubs before the game when we play Everton here, there's a definite animosity between the two sets of fans like, why do you think that is? Many you bringing up? Could be a sell out if you bring the lot looking at the tracker on .co.uk

Nah not going, we sold our allocation before the reading game but I've seen a few trying to shift their tickets after that

bad mood around us this week with Fellaini's dad and agent blaming us for his injury, we always go cautious away from home so expecting a 4-5-1

Lawro's prediction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/f...cus/9412535.stm

Nothing has changed with Everton in the last few months in that they are a decent side right up until they reach the opposing penalty area. It has been a strange season for them and you cannot help thinking what their manager David Moyes makes about the general situation at the club, and the lack of money he has had to spend to try to rectify their problems.

I know they were without injured pair Marouane Fellaini and Tim Cahill when they crashed out of the FA Cup on Tuesday but I still expected them to beat Reading at home, especially after they had knocked out the holders Chelsea on penalties to get there and easily despatched Sunderland in the meantime.

You just cannot be sure what you are going to get from Everton, while Newcastle are far more consistent. The Magpies keep picking up points and have lost only once in the league this year. I cannot see Everton getting anything at St James' Park.

Prediction: 2-1

Edited by Tecato

I fear we are going to see Gutherie on the right (well we won't as he never makes any attempt to play wide when he's supposed to). That coupled with our poor striking options means this has a draw written all over it for me.