Vital poll

trophyshy

What's your favourite type of pie?

I am seemingly unable to start a poll no matter how I try.

So just type it in. CT, you're first. :(

Edited by trophyshy

Cant see a list but a nice mince pie takes some beating. Particularly if you get a really hot one somewhere at a bakery and try eating in out of the foil. You tip it up but all you get is pastry for a few bites as the mince filling puddles at the bottom. As you get half way through each bite is a dangerous manoeuvre.

Take too much and the scalding contents go everywhere. each delicate nibble leaves an overflowing volcano of minceness.

Yum Yum.

Need a cold shower.

If its a well made pie with good quality meat and not too fucking hot so you can't eat it, then a mince pie all the way for me. Not a greggs one though, a REAL mince pie.

I know they're far from authentic but there's something to be said for the balti pie. Similarly the scotch pie. Both have to be warm like. If pushed i'd go for a cold slice of good quality steak pie with a 50/50 meat to gravy/onion ratio. A close second would be an honest t goodness home-made shepherd's pie.

What was the question again ?

Many moons ago I used to be a trainee butcher and used to go and collect pies (and cream cakes) from a bakery in Newcastle called gelders. I always used to get a cup of tea with either a freshly baked oval mince pie or a cream cake.

The problem was / is, a lot of pie makers use cows heart in their pies which put me off for quite a while.

Anyone a 'pieist' from Blyth area? Mate I used to work with used to fetch in these great 'breakfast pies' on a Friday from some baker in Blyth. Were a scotch pie base with a sausage and bacon slice and an egg cracked in so cooked to set it together. Were a magical thing. Sure the bakers folded a couple of years ago sadly ?

Anyone a 'pieist' from Blyth area? Mate I used to work with used to fetch in these great 'breakfast pies' on a Friday from some baker in Blyth. Were a scotch pie base with a sausage and bacon slice and an egg cracked in so cooked to set it together. Were a magical thing. Sure the bakers folded a couple of years ago sadly ?

No beans on top of the crust?....they were a speciality of the now sadly long gone Bryson's of Berwick.

If we're talking pies in general, it has to be scotch :(

No beans on top of the crust?....they were a speciality of the now sadly long gone Bryson's of Berwick.

If we're talking pies in general, it has to be scotch :(

That's the fellas ! Obviously always bad when a business folds but when they go the extra mile doing those little breakfast wonders its all the sadder.

Local baker bit further down the coast here - Canatrice - do a belting scotch pie like.

I read that as Priest and Felch at first :(

I read that as Priest and Felch at first :(

Well they were certainly 'of God' but not of t'other !

As an aside to this poll I would also add that were someone to make a buttery mashed potato and baked bean pie, this would probably be my favourite.

Im now so excited about the above sentence that Im having words with the missus in the morning.

Where's the poll like? Greggs mince pies 85-95 were the best pies on earth. Shape, texture, flavour everything. They went a bit ropey, but now they're ok again but too big for one person. Still easily the best pies although chicken balti's are canny.

As an aside to this poll I would also add that were someone to make a buttery mashed potato and baked bean pie, this would probably be my favourite.

Im now so excited about the above sentence that Im having words with the missus in the morning.

Cheers, that's an interesting one CT, might knock one of those up to try this week.

Some good insight here, I'm getting a word........ mince. :(

Where's the poll like? Greggs mince pies 85-95 were the best pies on earth. Shape, texture, flavour everything. They went a bit ropey, but now they're ok again but too big for one person. Still easily the best pies although chicken balti's are canny.

I tried 4 times to make this a poll and failed. Seemingly moving into the spacka-with-technology phase of my life.