Andy Carroll....Local Hero! O̶r̶ ̶J̶u̶d̶a̶s̶?

Christmas Tree

Carroll  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The only talking down these days seems mainly on the forums by those caught in the past.

:(

Just saw this, you're taking the piss. I refuse to believe you're not. I won't bite.

Not all. Not sure if Ive read anything at all from any main stream media talking us down. Since relegation I think our overall press and the goodwill towards us has increased a hell of a lot.

While nobody has a clue what Ashley will do next, the deadwood has virtually gone, stability is setting in, finances have been sorted and we seem to be putting in lots of preparation for the summer window.

I'm not going to get high and mighty here, but I repeat the fans on the ground, in Newcastle, 99% are against Ashley, that's my issue with what you said. Not taking the piss, but even you have to be honest here, where you live is at beat a 30/70 area in their favour so the people you speak to are going to have slightly differing views than somewhere, where everyone is black and white.

The discussion wasnt about whether people like Ashley, it was the club being talked down. We are not the laughing stock that we were and the club has dragged itself back to a respectable level with its self esteem restored imo. Our "press" on the whole is very good these days.

I wouldnt dream of challenging the fact that Ashley is still hated by the majority. ;)

OK I misread what your meant re Ashley. I just want him out of the club, I won't be happy with Newcastle till him and Llambias have fucked off. It's last time I'll ever mention him, because every angle, and every point of view has been covered regarding him, Shepherd, and Llambias. There should be like a political left or right spectrum with FFS on one side and FMA on the other, and where people lie off here on some sort of chart. I'm sure HF would revel in making one you know what he's like. If FFS was right and FMA left I'd be far far farrrrrr right, I'd make Nick Griffin look like fuckin Trotsky.

Anyway the bit I've highlighted. Leazes has explained his position 100 times, and I agree with him, and Brummiemag raises the same quite correct points. You see Shepherd, regardless what you think of him our turnover was £97m in 2003, the 8th best in world football. If we'd continued on that level our turnover would be £150m EASILY now, the club would've continued to grow and could've QUITE FUCKIN EASILY become part of the Champions League closed shop which with Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool existed for 5 years largely speaking

Sorry Stevie but that's shite - the only way to increase turnover that much would have been by success on the pitch and ground expansion - how likely was that in 2007?

We still had a degree of self esteem in 2007. Our turnover with the additional masses of Sky money since then, it would be £120m+ that is a fact, we're ran like a corner shop, and it'll still be £90m for this season. 07/08 season ticket sell out and we didn't need 6500 cheap family tickets to do it, because the fans still believed we were going somewhere, and at least had a strategy and a target of a minimum of European football every year.

Well done for missing my whole point entirely anyway. Lets put it like this, if the Queen and Prince Phillip turned out in Camden Market on Sunday wearing a hoody and a pair of hi tec trainers, and they were photographed in all the papers. The whole world would think what are these bamps playing at, and we thought they were regal. Well that's what Ashley has systematically done to this club, we have nothing no core, we have no self esteem, no one talking us up with any degree of sincerity we're a fuckin disaster, it's a miracle we have more than 30,000 wanting to go.

They always miss the point Stevie, they insist "Shepherd was a cunt therefore he was a shit owner" bollocks. I'm fucked off with these people talking down the club, and accepting these declined standards under Ashley, NUFC competing at the levels of Bolton and Blackburn, and becoming a selling club again ?

The one thing I thought and hoped would forever remain from what the last regime did, despite any ups and downs which we all have to accept are part of football, is the demands and realisations of the club and never again would people accept such lows as before. It fuckin, absolutely beggars belief, that only 4 years since the club was sold to this man, they have swallowed such shite hook, line and sinker, that we are no better than these clubs, have no chance of ever qualifying for the Champions league and are content to lose our best players to clubs like Liverpool and Spurs again and replace them with cheaper, inferior goods.

The bit in bold isn't the case at all. They've simply aligned their expectations with where we realistically are in comparison to other wealthier clubs. It's also a hypocritical statement, seeing as you accepted low standards when the club was one of the top spending clubs around, believing that only "qualifying for europe" was acceptable for a club capable of breaking the world transfer record.

so who are these "wealthier clubs", Man City and Chelsea ? You accept we are inferior to the likes of Liverpool and Spurs, and should sell them our best players like the 2nd rate clubs again ?

Your statement "aligned their expectation with where we realistically are in comparison" is actually, proof that you are accepting declined standards and expectations. There is no reason whatsoever why you should be conceding inferiority to any club in the premiership bar Man City, Chelsea and ManU because of their global appeal, and even then ought to be looking at the positives of NUFC and looking to do the best to beat them. Conceding inferiority to Liverpool and Spurs is a no-brainer and accepting that we are no better than Bolton and Blackburn etc is a disgrace.

I have not accepted that "qualifying for europe" is good enough at all, I've said it ought to be the minimum aim, which is what the last regime did and why they changed managers and looked to improve when it didn't happen. The current regime will wank themselves stupid if we even finish in the top half of the table and sections of the support [those who booed for only finishing 5th?] will do exactly the same. This is lower standards. The club is in decline because they have imposed lower expectations, and structured the club so incomes/revenues/expectations are lower against competitors and what went before, and are losing their best players as a result.

We might not be a laughing stock but we are also probably not even an afterthought.

Neither nowt nor summat. Thats Newcastle now.

exactly. A total irrelevance, like a fly waiting to be swatted.

Even Spurs and Liverpool now, think they can come along and take our best players, and whats more, we have shown that they can have them.

Guest alex
We might not be a laughing stock but we are also probably not even an afterthought.

Neither nowt nor summat. Thats Newcastle now.

Aye.

Shepherd is the lesser of two evils.

qualifying for europe on more occasions than everybody else bar 4 clubs, the same 4 clubs being the only ones with a higher average league position, 2nd phase of the Champions League, 2 FA Cup Finals, stadium expansion,

suggests you are very wrong.

Well done for missing my whole point entirely anyway. Lets put it like this, if the Queen and Prince Phillip turned out in Camden Market on Sunday wearing a hoody and a pair of hi tec trainers, and they were photographed in all the papers. The whole world would think what are these bamps playing at, and we thought they were regal. Well that's what Ashley has systematically done to this club, we have nothing no core, we have no self esteem, no one talking us up with any degree of sincerity we're a fuckin disaster, it's a miracle we have more than 30,000 wanting to go.

If that's all the Liz and Phil the Greek could afford, that is what they would have to do.

To continue the analogy, they'd mortgaged all the tiara's and had maxed out the credit cards and STILL they needed more money. But if they still trolled around in their state coaches waving to the crowds they'd be exactly like we were, all fur coat and no knickers, till the day the baillifs turned up.

Look, Ashley rightly get's villified for many things but the one thing above all that he get's hammered for, the so called skinflint and "lining his pockets" is absolutely and utterly wrong.

Even with our record revenues we made losses year on year, it had to stop somewhere. There comes a time when you have to realise that you've "missed the boat" the ONLY way to increase our revenues to the levels necessary (and the factual trend was down year on year from the "high" of 2003) was to be in the champions league, we just did not have the money to do that, we didn't really even have the money to troll around mid-table.

You can set your sights as high as you like but you have to be able to back it up with hard £££'s.

Everyone ignores debt "because all clubs have debts and they don't matter", well sorry like, but they do matter the minute you can't service them.

As I've said before, our debt was incomparible to "other" football club debt, it was ALL leveraged and secured on the club and it's income streams (future and present). It was NOT like other club debt - Do the research (I have) and you'll see it's true. We did not have a pot to piss in.

Our debt is now closer to not mattering than it ever was because it is now, LIKE other teams debts, underwritten by an owner, cunt though he may be. It remains different in one respect in that Ashley does NOT charge any interest on his loans, unlike almost every other owner, some like Lerner make a huge wedge from their "benevolence" (circa 15% of turnover). That is not a bad/evil thing, surely!.

Even if turnover could be boosted to the £120 Million Stevie stated "easily" all that would do (because of our annual losses - even before Ashleys relegation genius) would have been to stand still because when your bleeding at £20-£30 million a year you'd better find some cash somehwere.

All the above is factual (apart from the Queens knickers bit) and like it or not Ashley (or someone like him) was desperately needed at this club.

Destroy the bloke for pissing off KK, sticking tacky adds on the roof, appointing Joe Kinnear, getting us relegated BUT to villify him for anything to do with the clubs money is beyond preposterous.

I would fucking LOVE for someone to destroy my post with facts/evidence, anything substantial and I would gladly be shown up as wrong. But you know what, I don't think I am.

We are what we are, because we are reaping what we (the club) sowed, and regretably we are all that we can afford to be. FACT.

Edited by Toonpack

If that's all the Liz and Phil the Greek could afford, that is what they would have to do.

To continue the analogy, they'd mortgaged all the tiara's and had maxed out the credit cards and STILL they needed more money. But if they still trolled around in their state coaches waving to the crowds they'd be exactly like we were, all fur coat and no knickers, till the day the baillifs turned up.

Look, Ashley rightly get's villified for many things but the one thing above all that he get's hammered for, the so called skinflint and "lining his pockets" is absolutely and utterly wrong.

Even with our record revenues we made losses year on year, it had to stop somewhere. There comes a time when you have to realise that you've "missed the boat" the ONLY way to increase our revenues to the levels necessary (and the factual trend was down year on year from the "high" of 2003) was to be in the champions league, we just did not have the money to do that, we didn't really even have the money to troll around mid-table.

You can set your sights as high as you like but you have to be able to back it up with hard £££'s.

Everyone ignores debt "because all clubs have debts and they don't matter", well sorry like, but they do matter the minute you can't service them.

As I've said before, our debt was incomparible to "other" football club debt, it was ALL leveraged and secured on the club and it's income streams (future and present). It was NOT like other club debt - Do the research (I have) and you'll see it's true. We did not have a pot to piss in.

Our debt is now closer to not mattering than it ever was because it is now, LIKE other teams debts, underwritten by an owner, cunt though he may be. It remains different in one respect in that Ashley does NOT charge any interest on his loans, unlike almost every other owner, some like Lerner make a huge wedge from their "benevolence" (circa 15% of turnover). That is not a bad/evil thing, surely!.

Even if turnover could be boosted to the £120 Million Stevie stated "easily" all that would do (because of our annual losses - even before Ashleys relegation genius) would have been to stand still because when your bleeding at £20-£30 million a year you'd better find some cash somehwere.

All the above is factual (apart from the Queens knickers bit) and like it or not Ashley (or someone like him) was desperately needed at this club.

Destroy the bloke for pissing off KK, sticking tacky adds on the roof, appointing Joe Kinnear, getting us relegated BUT to villify him for anything to do with the clubs money is beyond preposterous.

I would fucking LOVE for someone to destroy my post with facts/evidence, anything substantial and I would gladly be shown up as wrong. But you know what, I don't think I am.

We are what we are, because we are reaping what we (the club) sowed, and regretably we are all that we can afford to be. FACT.

Pish. I'll reply properly tomorrow.

LLAMBIAS IRKED BY CARROLL ABUSE

Posted 07/05/11 12:55

Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias has hit out at the travelling fans who abused former striker Andy Carroll at Liverpool last weekend.

The Gateshead-born England international, who made a £35million January move from St James' Park to Anfield, was barracked by Magpies supporters still angry at his defection following his introduction as a second-half substitute.

Writing in his programme notes ahead of Saturday afternoon's Barclays Premier League clash with Birmingham, Llambias said: "I was disappointed with the very negative treatment some of our supporters gave our former number nine Andy Carroll.

"Andy faced a barrage of insults from a section of fans in the stadium which he most certainly did not deserve.

"The abuse he received was difficult to stomach after everything Andy brought to our club, and I only hope he didn't pay too much attention to the taunts being directed at him from the stands.

"To go from hero to villain simply for moving clubs, which is just part and parcel of football, is beyond me.

"As we all know, Andy came up through the Academy and played a pivotal role for this football club whilst he was here.

"His goals, coupled with his attitude and his popularity in the dressing room, were integral to everything we achieved last season in gaining promotion back to the Premier League, and it was fitting that he ended the campaign as our top scorer.

"Andy is a Geordie lad and a lifelong Newcastle United supporter. He worked his socks off for this football club over the years, eventually reaching the ultimate goal in landing the much-coveted number nine shirt.

"The 11 goals he scored for us this season have helped stabilise the club in the Premier League. Andy should be applauded for the great things he helped us achieve at Newcastle.

"I speak for everyone at the club when I say he will always be welcomed back at St James' Park with open arms.

"Andy has moved on now, amicably, to pastures new. The club received a British record transfer fee for Andy, which was the eighth highest in history.

"We wish him well and I am sure he will go on to fulfil his great potential with the England team over the coming years."

Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias has hit out at the travelling fans who abused former striker Andy Carroll at Liverpool last weekend.

The Gateshead-born England international, who made a £35million January move from St James' Park to Anfield, was barracked by Magpies supporters still angry at his defection following his introduction as a second-half substitute.

Writing in his programme notes ahead of Saturday afternoon's Barclays Premier League clash with Birmingham, Llambias said: "I was disappointed with the very negative treatment some of our supporters gave our former number nine Andy Carroll.

"Andy faced a barrage of insults from a section of fans in the stadium which he most certainly did not deserve.

"The abuse he received was difficult to stomach after everything Andy brought to our club, and I only hope he didn't pay too much attention to the taunts being directed at him from the stands.

"To go from hero to villain simply for moving clubs, which is just part and parcel of football, is beyond me.

"As we all know, Andy came up through the Academy and played a pivotal role for this football club whilst he was here.

"His goals, coupled with his attitude and his popularity in the dressing room, were integral to everything we achieved last season in gaining promotion back to the Premier League, and it was fitting that he ended the campaign as our top scorer.

"Andy is a Geordie lad and a lifelong Newcastle United supporter. He worked his socks off for this football club over the years, eventually reaching the ultimate goal in landing the much-coveted number nine shirt.

"The 11 goals he scored for us this season have helped stabilise the club in the Premier League. Andy should be applauded for the great things he helped us achieve at Newcastle.

"I speak for everyone at the club when I say he will always be welcomed back at St James' Park with open arms.

"Andy has moved on now, amicably, to pastures new. The club received a British record transfer fee for Andy, which was the eighth highest in history.

"We wish him well and I am sure he will go on to fulfil his great potential with the England team over the coming years."

Probably sums it up, in all honesty; NUFC wanted the money and Carroll wanted to go to get the money too. End of.

so who are these "wealthier clubs", Man City and Chelsea ? You accept we are inferior to the likes of Liverpool and Spurs, and should sell them our best players like the 2nd rate clubs again ?

I've tried to explain why Liverpool and Spurs are streets ahead of us but then again apart from 7 or 8 years they always have been. As I've said before you need more than having a good run over 10 years even to overwrite 130 years of football.

I enjoy Stevie's Geordie nationalist rants as much as anyone and agree with the "we could and should rule the world" thrust at the centre of that but to start thinking we are a bigger club than the 5 clubs who've won more trophies than us and have always had bigger gates leads to justifying shite like Matthew Saed's piece that time about how deluded we are. I'm also sick of reading this "2nd biggest crowds" line which people still spout as if the Emirates hadn't opened. The sad fact is that if Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea had sorted out bigger grounds we'd be sixth on that score as well though you wouldn't think it given some of the "52k every week" hyperbole. It's great that we have the ground as it is but we shouldn't think it makes us a special case.

Of course if we had won the league in 96 and continued the momentum till now we'd have been sitting pretty but I think we'd still have found it hard to better Man U, Chelsea and now Man City simply in spending terms. Even if we'd started making £50m profits that wouldn't compete with the latter two.

When you have nothing to say Derek, say nowt.

Let's be honest, Derek can't help himself, it's part of his enjoyment to look for things to say that he knows will wind up Newcastle fans. The bloke's a monumental cock-end, he knows we don't like him so just does his best to annoy as much as possible - needs treating with the contempt he deserves.

I bet Leazes feels sick to his stomach that him and dekka hold the same opinion on something :icon_lol:

I've tried to explain why Liverpool and Spurs are streets ahead of us but then again apart from 7 or 8 years they always have been.

rubbish.

If you talking about the recent history, are you referring to 12-13 years of the Halls and Shepherd era ? If so, why do you "hate" them ?

These people who base their "opinions" on how much they do or don't "like" somebody, are a fucking hoot.

I bet Leazes feels sick to his stomach that him and dekka hold the same opinion on something :icon_lol:

So Dekka thinks we should be keeping our best players does he ?

Shame he doesn't.

it's "good business" though, selling them.

Couldn't believe he had the temerity to complain about the treatment that our ex no 9 received. Just goes to show he will never understand what this club means to the fans.

So Dekka thinks we should be keeping our best players does he ?

Shame he doesn't.

it's "good business" though, selling them.

I've tried to explain why Liverpool and Spurs are streets ahead of us but then again apart from 7 or 8 years they always have been.

rubbish.

If you talking about the recent history, are you referring to 12-13 years of the Halls and Shepherd era ? If so, why do you "hate" them ?

These people who base their "opinions" on how much they do or don't "like" somebody, are a fucking hoot.

We finished above Liverpool once in the 10 years Shepherd was chairman and three times with Hall - 4 times overall in 13 years - they must have been quaking - is that factual enough for you?

Your view that because of those 4 years we are somehow rivals to the most successful club in English history who've won about 3 times as many trophies is laughable.

rubbish.

We finished above Liverpool once in the 10 years Shepherd was chairman and three times with Hall - 4 times overall in 13 years - they must have been quaking - is that factual enough for you?

Your view that because of those 4 years we are somehow rivals to the most successful club in English history who've won about 3 times as many trophies is laughable.

we challenged them, are we challenging them now ? When did we last finish above Liverpool before the Halls and Shepherd, have we since, and when will we next ? Is that factual enough for you ?

Your view that we are unable to challenge Liverpool having done it under the Halls and Shepherd because we bought the calibre of players that they did, under anyone else, is laughable.

What about Spurs ?

You under-sell NUFC if you like, not everybody is so negative.

Edited by LeazesMag

rubbish.

we challenged them, are we challenging them now ? When did we last finish above Liverpool before the Halls and Shepherd, have we since, and when will we next ? Is that factual enough for you ?

Your view that we are unable to challenge Liverpool having done it under the Halls and Shepherd because we bought the calibre of players that they did, under anyone else, is laughable.

What about Spurs ?

We never did previously because obviously they were top dogs - as I said for a couple of years here and there we finished above them and that will probably never happen again in the foreseeable future because at the end of the day they are are a global club that only decades of success could challenge. Funnily enough part of our success in finishing above them was due to their bad managerial appointments rather than spending power.

This was my point - to break into the hierarchy of the top English clubs would take more than just a few years but you missed it as usual - you think those few odd years mean something now as if not matching that is somehow abject failure. As I said in the context of football in 2011 just getting to the top of the next level down is all we could hope for and that would be with better owners as well. Owners who never put a penny into the club would be useless today.

You've already said we can't challenge Man U, Chelsea and Man City - extending that list to Liverpool and probably Spurs is just common sense but you have to cling on to them because you think we somehow took the piss out of them previously. My point was that that was a blip.

If you want to give me an argument that we are as big or bigger than Liverpool because of those 4 years then I don't think saying that's crap is being negative - its just realism.

rubbish.

What about Spurs ?

We never did previously because obviously they were top dogs - as I said for a couple of years here and there we finished above them and that will probably never happen again in the foreseeable future because at the end of the day they are are a global club that only decades of success could challenge. Funnily enough part of our success in finishing above them was due to their bad managerial appointments rather than spending power.

This was my point - to break into the hierarchy of the top English clubs would take more than just a few years but you missed it as usual - you think those few odd years mean something now as if not matching that is somehow abject failure. As I said in the context of football in 2011 just getting to the top of the next level down is all we could hope for and that would be with better owners as well. Owners who never put a penny into the club would be useless today.

You've already said we can't challenge Man U, Chelsea and Man City - extending that list to Liverpool and probably Spurs is just common sense but you have to cling on to them because you think we somehow took the piss out of them previously. My point was that that was a blip.

If you want to give me an argument that we are as big or bigger than Liverpool because of those 4 years then I don't think saying that's crap is being negative - its just realism.

Like I said, under-sell NUFC if you like.

Must be pretty sad, hating a board who gave us the best team and the best period the club has had in half a century. Some logic that.