Osama Bin Laden

Jimbo

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Osama's body has been chucked off a boat and in to the Persian Gulf. What the fuck?!?! BBC news now. What!??!

Is that what yous do acrossthepond?

Muslims across the world are going to go scatty at this one. Killing the bloke is one thing but they should have let them decide what to do with his body.

We bury within 24 hours as Craig said. The idea of 'burying him at sea' was so that none of his mates could set up his grave as a saintly shrine.

I don't know how to feel about the news. Obviously pleased that he is dead - those who take the sword should die by it - but I am bemused at the timing and at the way it was presented as a fait accompli. I think more proof should have been given (I believe this news, I don't want anyone to misunderstand me here - but there will be many who will not believe it, and the proof should have been more comprehensive.)

As far as treating the body goes, it can be dumped in a river, flown out to space or chopped up and fed to pigs for all I care. A man who did not live as a Muslim, no matter what he claimed to be, should not be buried as one.

Osama's body has been chucked off a boat and in to the Persian Gulf. What the fuck?!?! BBC news now. What!??!

Muslims across the world are going to go scatty at this one. Killing the bloke is one thing but they should have let them decide what to do with his body.

We bury within 24 hours as Craig said. The idea of 'burying him at sea' was so that none of his mates could set up his grave as a saintly shrine.

I don't know how to feel about the news. Obviously pleased that he is dead - those who take the sword should die by it - but I am bemused at the timing and at the way it was presented as a fait accompli. I think more proof should have been given (I believe this news, I don't want anyone to misunderstand me here - but there will be many who will not believe it, and the proof should have been more comprehensive.)

As far as treating the body goes, it can be dumped in a river, flown out to space or chopped up and fed to pigs for all I care. A man who did not live as a Muslim, no matter what he claimed to be, should not be buried as one.

The idea of chucking him in he sea was to make sure nobody (family and so on..) could check the body to make sure it was him.

Can't remember what I was going to say, I got distracted by Geordiemessiah's avatar :icon_lol:

thats very good, I agree with you completely. It is sad that all the other muslims won't see it like you do.

Well said.

Chez

Euro helped by report China will buy Portugal's debt

China ready to buy up to 6.6 billion of Portugal debt: report

Wed, Dec 22 2010

By Anirban Nag

LONDON | Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:54am EST

(Reuters) - The euro gained against the dollar and bounced from all-time lows against the Swiss franc on Wednesday, boosted by a news report that China was ready to buy significant amounts of Portuguese sovereign debt.

The Jornal de Negocios daily reported China is looking to buy between 4 billion euros ($5.26 billion) and 5 billion euros of Portuguese sovereign debt to help the country ward off pressure in debt markets, though it gave no details of its sources.

China's central bank declined to comment on the report which said the deal reached between the two governments will lead to China buying Portuguese debt in auctions or in the secondary markets during the first quarter of 2011."

China is defending the Euro as its exit strategy from the dollar.

There is little connection between the story and your claim. 5 billion is literally peanuts and will have little or no effect on forex prices.

Quite a muddled response on the other post though Parkster, the actions of private banks in relation to Greek debt is driven by a private bank's concerns not part of some geopolitical currency battle.

The market reaction to the changing climate in the forex markets is just that, a 'market' reaction which means that no one is in control, no one is directing it. Its the guiding hand of market incentives shaping our future. The chinese are beefing up their position and the US is defending its position but the ultimate price of the currency depends on the flow of goods and capital. How does this relate to Osama Bin Laden by the way? :icon_lol:

More than a little iffy if you ask me. Some guy just posted this on the beeb webby and I've got to say I agree:

"This doesn't add up. You don't kill the leader of the most wanted terrorist group in the world. You capture him. The wealth of information he could provide in the ongoing fight against al-Qaeda is immeasurable. And you don't 'dispose' of his body without detailed autopsy. This doesn't add up. Show me video/photos of his body or it didn't happen."

If they knew where he was they'd have captured him and this 24hr burial is all very convenient too - due to the importance of the body there's no way they'd let a small detail like religion get in the way.

Now that would get some good bites.

It's a good point that all these people who don't live by their religions always seem to be treated with such respect on death.

More than a little iffy if you ask me. Some guy just posted this on the beeb webby and I've got to say I agree:

"This doesn't add up. You don't kill the leader of the most wanted terrorist group in the world. You capture him. The wealth of information he could provide in the ongoing fight against al-Qaeda is immeasurable. And you don't 'dispose' of his body without detailed autopsy. This doesn't add up. Show me video/photos of his body or it didn't happen."

If they knew where he was they'd have captured him and this 24hr burial is all very convenient too - due to the importance of the body there's no way they'd let a small detail like religion get in the way.

I did notice there were only two other deaths (one being his son) - I'd expect more guards at least and US casualties in a "fire fight".

So there is no pictures of a corpse a la Pablo Escobar. Whilst I'm willing to except that things may have turned out that they couldn't capture him, I am suspicious of the hasty disposal of the body etc. Maybe I've not read too much of the story, as I was at work.

If he is dead, than hooray!

so they get him alive - where do they take him? Guantanamo?

A lifetime of bad publicity, legal actions and for what??

No-one has popped up saying he is alive after all

He admitted to killing thousands of people, he was involved in a war in which he has, at last, become a fatality. Pity it didn't happen years ago

PS I presume you think Hitler is still alive and living in Minehead???

DNA tests later confirmed that Bin Laden was dead, US officials said.

Oh well thats that. We'll just launch the body in the sea eh lads?

They found him over 1000 miles from sea for fucks sake.

The killing of Osama bin Laden is one of those events which, especially in the immediate aftermath, is not susceptible to reasoned discussion. It's already a Litmus Test event: all Decent People -- by definition -- express unadulterated ecstacy at his death, and all Good Americans chant "USA! USA!" in a celebration of this proof of our national greatness and Goodness (and that of our President). Nothing that deviates from that emotional script will be heard, other than by those on the lookout for heretics to hold up and punish. Prematurely interrupting a national emotional consensus with unwanted rational truths accomplishes nothing but harming the heretic (ask Bill Maher about how that works).

I'd have strongly preferred that Osama bin Laden be captured rather than killed so that he could be tried for his crimes and punished in accordance with due process (and to obtain presumably ample intelligence). But if he in fact used force to resist capture, then the U.S. military was entitled to use force against him, the way American police routinely do against suspects who use violence to resist capture. But those are legalities and they will be ignored even more so than usual. The 9/11 attack was a heinous and wanton slaughter of thousands of innocent civilians, and it's understandable that people are reacting with glee over the death of the person responsible for it. I personally don't derive joy or an impulse to chant boastfully at the news that someone just got two bullets put in their skull -- no matter who that someone is -- but that reaction is inevitable: it's the classic case of raucously cheering in a movie theater when the dastardly villain finally gets his due.

But beyond the emotional fulfillment that comes from vengeance and retributive justice, there are two points worth considering. The first is the question of what, if anything, is going to change as a result of the two bullets in Osama bin Laden's head? Are we going to fight fewer wars or end the ones we've started? Are we going to see a restoration of some of the civil liberties which have been eroded at the alter of this scary Villain Mastermind? Is the War on Terror over? Are we Safer now?

Those are rhetorical questions. None of those things will happen. If anything, I can much more easily envision the reverse. Whenever America uses violence in a way that makes its citizens cheer, beam with nationalistic pride, and rally around their leader, more violence is typically guaranteed. Futile decade-long wars in Iraq and Afghanistan may temporarily dampen the nationalistic enthusiasm for war, but two shots to the head of Osama bin Laden -- and the We are Great and Good proclamations it engenders -- can easily rejuvenate that war love. One can already detect the stench of that in how Pakistan is being talked about: did they harbor bin Laden as it seems and, if so, what price should they pay? We're feeling good and strong about ourselves again -- and righteous -- and that's often the fertile ground for more, not less, aggression.

And then there's the notion that America has once again proved its greatness and preeminence by killing bin Laden. Americans are marching in the street celebrating with a sense of national pride. When is the last time that happened? It seems telling that hunting someone down and killing them is one of the few things that still produce these feelings of nationalistic unity. I got on an airplane last night before the news of bin Laden's killing was known and had actually intended to make this point with regard to our killing of Gadaffi's son in Libya -- a mere 25 years after President Reagan bombed Libya and killed Gadaffi's infant daughter. That is something the U.S. has always done well and is one of the few things it still does well. This is how President Obama put it in last night's announcement:

The cause of securing our country is not complete. But tonight, we are once again reminded that America can do whatever we set our mind to. That is the story of our history, whether it’s the pursuit of prosperity for our people, or the struggle for equality for all our citizens; our commitment to stand up for our values abroad, and our sacrifices to make the world a safer place.

Does hunting down Osama bin Laden and putting bullets in his skull really "remind us that we can do whatever we set our mind to"? Is that really "the story of our history"? That seems to set the bar rather low in terms of national achievement and character.

In sum, a murderous religious extremist was killed. The U.S. has erupted in a collective orgy of national pride and renewed faith in the efficacy and righteousness of military force. Other than that, the repercussions are likely to be far greater in terms of domestic politics -- it's going to be a huge boost to Obama's re-election prospects and will be exploited for that end -- than anything else.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/index.html

A lot of people at work slating the Americans for celebrating, and saying that killing OBL makes him a martyr and will spell trouble. What's the alternative? Give him blowjobs and cuddles? If he had gone undiscovered and then died naturally he would have been hailed a martyr by the jihadists anyway.

I personally don't derive joy or an impulse to chant boastfully at the news that someone just got two bullets put in their skull -- no matter who that someone is -- but that reaction is inevitable: it's the classic case of raucously cheering in a movie theater when the dastardly villain finally gets his due.

I find it a bit condescending to refer to those cheering his death as akin to moviegoers at a popcorn flick. Some of these people will have lost family members to this man's organization, why begrudge them a moment of celebration at his demise, even if it is a little crude? If you're going to show distaste, why not remember the crimes of this man against his own people and those in other countries which resulted in thousands of deaths, and many suffering?

I'm not convinced Bin Laden would be on a DNA database to verify it was him...

I do think he's been killed and the conspiracy theorists were always going to come up with some stories. Even if his death is 'proven' people will still throw daft ideas around the internet

I do think he's been killed and the conspiracy theorists were always going to come up with some stories. Even if his death is 'proven' people will still throw daft ideas around the internet

You have to admit that if they dont show photographic evidence and the manner his body was disposed of is a bit fishy though.

They might have taken some when he had his CIA medical all those years ago.