Cheick Tiote

He has had back to back yellows and I published the stats. using "in the league" is the only way you can avoid 3 back to back yellows this season alone.

I mean, look at this - its awful:

Newcastle 3- Bordeaux 0

yellow-card.26.0.png

Newcastle 0 - Man

yellow-card.26.0.png

Sunderland Newcastle

red-card.26.0.png

Newcastle FC Bruges

yellow-card.26.0.png

Bruges Newcastle.

yellow-card.26.0.png

4th Oct to 8th Nov thats 4 yellows and a red - yeah there's "nothing to see here".....

Edited by scoobos

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your solution then? Sell him and put Anita in there instead? We'd have 5 less yellow cards a season and surely climb 6 places in the league over night!

I could see Anita performing better than Tiote as DM atm yes, surely more productive player and less stupid mistakes

He has had back to back yellows and I published the stats. using "in the league" is the only way you can avoid 3 back to back yellows this season alone.

I mean, look at this - its awful:

Newcastle 3- Bordeaux 0

Newcastle 0 - Man

Sunderland Newcastle

Newcastle FC Bruges

Bruges Newcastle.

4th Oct to 8th Nov thats 4 yellows and a red - yeah there's "nothing to see here".....

But they're different competitions with separate totals that lead to separate suspensions. Isn't the debate whether the suspensions he incurs make him worth keeping?

If you're looking at those games too, then let's sell Perch too...

29/09 Reading

04/10 Bordeaux

07/10 Man U

28/10 West Brom

Only one (dubious) straight red short of matching Tiote in less than a month.

That's a fair point that. My debate is just about his attitude and reliability as a whole, I don't feel comfortable with players that constantly pick up the cards.

I fall back to the same point - Perch doesn't the ability that Tiote has so has a little bit of leeway to me.

I know from what I've seen that Tiote can be an absolute rock - but its about more than just his playing ability . My personal view is his mentality is just not right.

Can't fathom the view that you'd rather keep worse players with a discipline problem than better ones.

Far happier to forgive the occasional lapse from a player that has the talent a top team would appreciate, than from a championship standard lightweight.

Can't fathom the view that you'd rather keep worse players with a discipline problem than better ones.

No what I'm saying is I'd rather keep worse players who dont have a discipline problem than better ones. Especially if its a shave like Sissoko / Mbwia over Tiote. But to show my cards I actually think Perch has done well the past few games before Tiote's return. He's much better in Tiote's place than he is as a defender.

What you suggest would be madness.

I can't fathom anyone thinking Tiote isn't a maniac to be honest. But that's football and thats what makes it so good, different people see different things.

After this forum debate today I'm actually thinking I didn't realise just how bad he is 50% yellows per game in all competitions is shocking by any standards.

Edited by scoobos

Ahhh, I get it, because Jonas is unlikely to be a guaranteed starter now we've got strength in all the positions we've been fielding him so we need a new scapegoat.

The overwhelming majority of the cards Tiote has received are, imo, due to a lack of quality around him. When he, Sissoko and Cabaye form a cohesive unit we'll see the desperate lunges reduce. He'll no longer have to mop up when Perch's pass goes astray, when Williamson dallies nervously on the ball, etc.

He already has a reputation with referees, one I feel is unwarranted as it's rare that the yellow he picks up is for a vindictive foul. Cabaye is, imo, more likely to go over the ball or leave a foot in. Yet, because the image of Cabaye's game is not aggression and combative he gets away with far more. I tell you what, a Premier League ref sees Tiote go with the elbow as Cabaye did, he'd have seen red.

Well said Fish.

Its a fickle fickle world today, people like Cisse and Tiote who were incredible around a year ago are suddenly public enemies despite the fact they've been trying to hold things together in a team that has gone through hell this season.

That's not right Fish. Excellent player but way too many pointless yellows. I'm in no way suggesting we should try to get rid of him by the way.

Well said Fish.

Its a fickle fickle world today, people like Cisse and Tiote who were incredible around a year ago are suddenly public enemies despite the fact they've been trying to hold things together in a team that has gone through hell this season.

They WERE incredible... What are they now?

They WERE incredible... What are they now?

Going through a rough patch mostly because of how the team as a whole has suffered this season. Im not saying they dont need to work on anything or improve their games, but its ridiculous how quickly we turn on players these days.

That's not right Fish. Excellent player but way too many pointless yellows. I'm in no way suggesting we should try to get rid of him by the way.

What's not right?

You're saying that regardless of having better players around him, Tiote will pick up as many yellows?

Going through a rough patch mostly because of how the team as a whole has suffered this season. Im not saying they dont need to work on anything or improve their games, but its ridiculous how quickly we turn on players these days.

Took us 20+ matches and 5 new first-team signings to get some half-decent results this season so I wouldn't call it ridiculous really...

Yes, players like Willo, Obertan, Simpson, Jonas and Perch has kept us down, but more reason for the so-called talented players to step up and perform. Cisse and Tiote haven't, been miserable most games like Willo and Simpson.

Edited by Aeris

Took us 20+ matches and 5 new first-team signings to get some half-decent results this season so I wouldn't call it ridiculous really...

Yes, players like Willo, Obertan, Simpson, Jonas and Perch has kept us down, but more reason for the so-called talented players to step up and perform. Cisse and Tiote haven't, been miserable most games like Willo and Simpson.

Why do you insist on ignoring the undeniable fact that we've been absolutely ruined by injuries this season?

Why do you insist on ignoring the undeniable fact that we've been absolutely ruined by injuries this season?

??? What do you mean absolutely ruined? We've had players for each position, players Pards/Ashley thought (blame their extreme lack of judgement) were good enough first team players based on last season. Consistent performers are what we need to be a top 10 team, we haven't had consistent performers even with a healthy team.

Edited by Aeris

??? What do you mean absolutely ruined? We've had players for each position, players Pards/Ashley thought (blame their extreme lack of judgement) were good enough first team players based on last season.

I'm happy to blame Ashley, my point is that you say that Tiote is a liability when the only reason you say that is because he's picked up a few more yellows than you'd like. I'm saying there's a reason for the number of cautions and that they'll decrease when he's playing alongside better players.

He's not a liability, Ashley's stringent transfer policy was.

If you had put Messi in some of the teams we have played with this season he would have struggled. Football is a team game, sometimes when you've got patched up teams half full of below average/unexperienced players you will struggle. Some people just dont get that. Like I said people like Jonas/Tiote have some brushing up to do without a doubt but the kind of criticism people are coming up with is just silly.

What's not right?

You're saying that regardless of having better players around him, Tiote will pick up as many yellows?

No, I'm saying that what you said is wrong, specifically that the majority of Tiote's cards are because of the lack of quality around him.

No, I'm saying that what you said is wrong, specifically that the majority of Tiote's cards are because of the lack of quality around him.

I'm not sure how you can say that with any assurance?

Neither of you can back up either point with any assurance. They're individual opinions.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle. I reckon the yellow count will come down if he is playing in a stronger side, but I also agree that there have been a good 5 or 6 bookings that have been illogical and pointless. These have often been picked up when he's playing in a strong side.