Cheick Tiote

It always happens. Some fans have a very simplistic view of players - if they score goals and excite them, they love them.

Tiote is never going to score goals and won't set up many, but watching him play in full flow is an awesome sight.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither of you can back up either point with any assurance. They're individual opinions.

I took exception to his use of the word majority, that simply is not true. Of course less fouls would be committed (and less yellows received) if playing with superior players alongside him, I've never disputed that. Further I've never disputed his quality or importance to the team. He's picked up cards here regardless of who he has played with that are down to lack of self control and/or tempestousness. The quality of player that he is means that you can live with the needless fouls, but it doesn't mean you have like it or accept that it can't be coached out of him.

I took exception to his use of the word majority, that simply is not true. Of course less fouls would be committed (and less yellows received) if playing with superior players alongside him, I've never disputed that. Further I've never disputed his quality or importance to the team. He's picked up cards here regardless of who he has played with that are down to lack of self control and/or tempestousness. The quality of player that he is means that you can live with the needless fouls, but it doesn't mean you have like it or accept that it can't be coached out of him.

Yep, I think that's all fair.

It always happens. Some fans have a very simplistic view of players - if they score goals and excite them, they love them.

Tiote is never going to score goals and won't set up many, but watching him play in full flow is an awesome sight.

I think Tiote is a shadow of the player he was last year. I'm not ruling out him returning to form but he seems rash and frustrated. We'll see if having a more settled side with our key players back has an impact. There's no guarantee that his true level is how he played last year btw, that might have been the exception to the rule!

I can think of a fair few players who seemed fantastic one season but never quite managed to repeat their performances.

Thats true enough but you cant jump to that conclusion just yet either. At the very least he deserves the benefit of the doubt about his form considering the circumstances. He's got some brushing up to do alright but we shouldnt be calling for his head as some people have been doing.

He was very successful under Pardew last season. Basically he's only been managed by anyone else here for a few month so are you suggesting that up until this season everything positive that he's done here was down to Hughton or his coaches at other teams and everything poor this season is down to Pardew?

To be fair, as much as he's hit some stinkers from distance, he's also had some superb shots from distance. He's a professional footballer. There is no reason why he can't have a pop from distance if the opportunity arises. The worst that can happen is it goes wide.

It's all about balance and making sure he doesn't try it too often and make it wasteful.

At the same time, I'd probably happily accept 50 atrocious mis-hit volleys if the 51st was a repeat of the Arsenal goal. The only goal I've been out of breath from celebrating. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

As its a fact that some managers can bring people on, raise their game etc, it must surely be true that other managers have the opposite effects.

Of course it is. But what you're suggesting is that Pardew's anti coaching has only had it's effect this season after almost two years of what has widely been considered the best form of his career (which you're saying has nothing to do with Pardew). That makes no sense at all.

Personally I believe it's totally down to him trying to do too much when we've been short of senior players. I think he'll get back to his best once he gets back into the swing of things in a settled team.

As its a fact that some managers can bring people on, raise their game etc, it must surely be true that other managers have the opposite effects.

How do you account for 5th place then the season before?...who was that down to? Kevin Keegan?

I think this year he has sent out the team with a very negative nervy mindset and this has told on various players.

As the team picks up confidence and recovers, I agree he will return to his old self.

I can't see how a negative mindset would have had the impact on Tiote you're suggesting it's had. Although I do agree that between November and mid January, Pardew was too negative and nervy (as was the club as a whole).

There was one game he played (pre Christmas) where he either had Shane ;) or Bigi down the left wing and Tiote was a master with all the interchange passing that was going and as well as spreading the ball about.

I think people calling for him to go have very short memories.

can this thread title be changed? it's getting on me tits. i don't see how having a class player in tiote is a problem

It was and is a problem because he's not playing at the level he once was.

His lack of discipline is still a problem. He's a pretty limited player, be honest.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record here.

There was one game he played (pre Christmas) where he either had Shane ;) or Bigi down the left wing and Tiote was a master with all the interchange passing that was going and as well as spreading the ball about.

I think people calling for him to go have very short memories.

Fucking hell.

I thought Tiote looked back on form in his last couple of appearances. Noticeable improvement on Perch who is limited at this level

Yup, which isn't surprising given he's no long having to get carthorses out of the mire.

The only reason I suggest he goes is that we can probably get a good return until other teams realise he's an average of 48% bookings over his ENTIRE career. Im not so sure you can say his booking percentage is due to bad players, he was the same all through his career so far , we got him rather cheap for a reason.

lets hope he proves me wrong and his big fans right, for the good of the club.

Its not hating, its frustration for me . I used to regard him as one of our best, but now see him as a risk.

Edited by scoobos