New Boiler Cost?

ajax_andy

If it’s >10 years old change the fucker as HMHM says. We had the heat exchanger changed in ours but it’s now making a a really loud noise when it ignites, too much carbon on the gas regulator or something. We were going to move last year so got it serviced so it’s not dangerous (or it wasn’t  that day :unsure:) but we’re going to be here for a while yet so will probably have to replace it..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If it’s >10 years old change the fucker as HMHM says. We had the heat exchanger changed in ours but it’s now making a a really loud noise when it ignites, too much carbon on the gas regulator or something. We were going to move last year so got it serviced so it’s not dangerous (or it wasn’t  that day :unsure:) but we’re going to be here for a while yet so will probably have to replace it..

You might not be able to replace the gas combi boiler in the not so near future so it might be worth doing now if you can't afford the alternative? 

Mine is over thirty years old and haven't had a single problem with it since moving in over six years ago. However with the price of energy I've decided to get it replaced. Was supposed to be installed today but the plumber ordered the wrong fucking flue. <_< 

It's 11 years old - of course the guarantee is ten years... 

It's a pretty high spec Worcester Bosch and the bloke I spoke to at the firm reckons they have a good 15 year lifespan so it would be worth it if needed - he reckonen about 500 quid for a new one - about a quarter of an everage new boiler nowadays. 

We had to get a boiler guy out a few times in the past 3 months, first one was British Gas because we pay for the Homecare. Our boiler was leaking, so they came out a couple of days later replaced a part, tried really hard to sell me a new boiler and then left, which cost me £124 including call out. Then the boiler packed in just before Xmas and I phoned again, they said the earliest they could get out was like 4 weeks later. Understandably I said, fuck that, and phoned a local guy. He came the same day, replaced a different £15 part that should have been replaced by the BG bloke, which only cost me £80 including call out. We then had to have him out for the frozen condensate pipe and he fixed the pipe, showed us what to do if it freezes again and would only accept a cup of tea and a mince pie for his troubles. 

So now I'm in a protracted complaint process with British Gas because, what the fuck am I actually paying for?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We had to get a boiler guy out a few times in the past 3 months, first one was British Gas because we pay for the Homecare. Our boiler was leaking, so they came out a couple of days later replaced a part, tried really hard to sell me a new boiler and then left, which cost me £124 including call out. Then the boiler packed in just before Xmas and I phoned again, they said the earliest they could get out was like 4 weeks later. Understandably I said, fuck that, and phoned a local guy. He came the same day, replaced a different £15 part that should have been replaced by the BG bloke, which only cost me £80 including call out. We then had to have him out for the frozen condensate pipe and he fixed the pipe, showed us what to do if it freezes again and would only accept a cup of tea and a mince pie for his troubles. 

So now I'm in a protracted complaint process with British Gas because, what the fuck am I actually paying for?

This isn't as uncommon as you may think. Get someone recommended from someone you trust and it'll save you in the long run than paying BG's insurance. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Similar situation. Boiler (only 2 years old ffs) kept losing pressure and cutting out overnight. Works when you refill it but still, didn't need the stress over Xmas, so called BG who I've got a care plan with. Three weeks wait, which they charge you a call out fee. Had a scheduled service a weeks later (now this Friday), so have held on til this and then will just cancel it. My plan currently costs more than my internet or house insurance ffs (they put it up after my introductory year expired and I forgot to cancel/renegotiate). As far as I can tell, there is no point in a BG service contract, just going to stick to local contractors. 

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

This isn't as uncommon as you may think. Get someone recommended from someone you trust and it'll save you in the long run than paying BG's insurance. 

This is the thing, I've been paying £15 a month for Homecare for the past 4yrs, only had to call out a British Gas engineer at most, twice. Now, when the call out is £99, that's £918 I've pushed their way for- fuck all. 

I would have spent c£120 if I'd just used a local guy. Maybe even less if they'd fixed an issue that prevented shit down the road. So I could have already put £850 towards a personal trainer for Renton. So it's him I feel bad for, it's for him that I'm fighting British Gas. #PrayForRenton

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

You might not be able to replace the gas combi boiler in the not so near future so it might be worth doing now if you can't afford the alternative? 

I think combis are being phased out in new builds but retro fit is still allowed. It’d cost 20-30k per dwelling to install a low carbon system . That’s covid furlough type money and there’s no conceivable uk government going to do that in the in the near future.. it would make sense and provide 1000s of jobs but   It’s not happening…,

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I think combis are being phased out in new builds but retro fit is still allowed. It’d cost 20-30k per dwelling to install a low carbon system . That’s covid furlough type money and there’s no conceivable uk government going to do that in the in the near future.. it would make sense and provide 1000s of jobs but   It’s not happening…,

Is that one of those heat pumps?

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Is that one of those heat pumps?

Yeah but don’t bother. Domestic installs deliver a constant temp of about 20-22 degrees, there’s little adjustment ie it’s on or off and it doesn’t do HW. Hydrogen boilers would be better but are ludicrously expensive atm and you’d have to change your entire system ie pipes rads etc . 

30 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This is the thing, I've been paying £15 a month for Homecare for the past 4yrs, only had to call out a British Gas engineer at most, twice. Now, when the call out is £99, that's £918 I've pushed their way for- fuck all. 

I would have spent c£120 if I'd just used a local guy. Maybe even less if they'd fixed an issue that prevented shit down the road. So I could have already put £850 towards a personal trainer for Renton. So it's him I feel bad for, it's for him that I'm fighting British Gas. #PrayForRenton

You can also get local plumbers to do an annual service once a year to put your mind at rest for a fraction of the cost. And thanks for you kind thoughts in my battle against my spare tire Fish, God bless you. I'll PM my paypal detals. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah but don’t bother. Domestic installs deliver a constant temp of about 20-22 degrees, there’s little adjustment ie it’s on or off and it doesn’t do HW. Hydrogen boilers would be better but are ludicrously expensive atm and you’d have to change your entire system ie pipes rads etc . 

The idea of some low ambient heat source without hot water sounds utter shite, even before considering the price. Apparently they use a fair bit of electricity anyway so save you bot all. I remember getting my first combi and it was a revelation. Hot water on demand, showers which never went cold. Glorious. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Renton said:

Similar situation. Boiler (only 2 years old ffs) kept losing pressure and cutting out overnight. Works when you refill it but still, didn't need the stress over Xmas, so called BG who I've got a care plan with. Three weeks wait, which they charge you a call out fee. Had a scheduled service a weeks later (now this Friday), so have held on til this and then will just cancel it. My plan currently costs more than my internet or house insurance ffs (they put it up after my introductory year expired and I forgot to cancel/renegotiate). As far as I can tell, there is no point in a BG service contract, just going to stick to local contractors. 

Sounds like the problem we had, it could be the balancing system venting when it shouldn't, auld lad called it straight away, got hand held pump out drained the part, filled it up then blew the surplus out balancing it, charged peanuts and it worked, happened a few months later so he came back, repeated it saying if it happens again it's the part, replace it. A few months later same thing happens but he's retired and recommends a younger lad who was an apprentice but has obvious experience now who quotes a bit more for the part than the old lad but seems to know what he's talking about, bottom line I get a new one as I didn't want pay £200 for something when I knew the boiler had taken some stick when we'd shifted it. New one is working fine , is quieter and I dare say is saving me a bit of money although it's hard to tell in the current shit show.

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Aye, I read up on them and put myself firmly in the 'Well that's not fucking worth it' camp. 

We'll be replacing the boiler soon, but it'll be combi for combi and nothing else. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Sounds like the problem we had, it could be the balancing system venting when it shouldn't, auld lad called it straight away, got hand held pump out drained the part, filled it up then blew the surplus out balancing it, charged peanuts and it worked, happened a few months later so he came back, repeated it saying if it happens again it's the part, replace it. A few months later same thing happens but he's retired and recommends a younger lad who was an apprentice but has obvious experience now who quotes a bit more for the part than the old lad but seems to know what he's talking about, bottom line I get a new one as I didn't want pay £200 for something when I knew the boiler had taken some stick when we'd shifted it. New one is working fine , is quieter and I dare say is saving me a bit of money although it's hard to tell in the current shit show.

Pretty sure it's the expansion vessel, which can be charged up again (i.e. be recalibrated) or if knackered can be replaced for around £100 all in by someone who isn't a con man. The BG contract does include parts though so I am going to make sure its fixed properly for free during the service.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Pretty sure it's the expansion vessel, which can be charged up again (i.e. be recalibrated) or if knackered can be replaced for around £100 all in by someone who isn't a con man. The BG contract does include parts though so I am going to make sure its fixed properly for free during the service.  

:lol: That's the one. It was something like £70 to replace which shot up a bit with the new lad. Sure it was something like a £100 more from memory? Anyway, in my case it was probably a better call to replace due to the age and shifting around it did. 

5 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

If it’s >10 years old change the fucker as HMHM says. 

We've still got a back boiler that I think might be as old as me (36). I'm not going to say anything bad about it, since it's behaved itself this last year or so. Used to have fairly regular problems. 

It is however one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to finally get this hoise.move over the line, imagine it's really inefficient and costing us an absolute fortune.