no deal for Joey

Knackers

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it’s not just Barton* that’s the issue here, it’s the dramatic shift in attitude to wages.

as well as getting rid of players in the last transfer window when we already had a threadbare squad:

they want Barton to take a wage cut from what they are already paying,

putting 2 and 2 together — Enrique won’t be signing a new contract because they want to cut his wages as they don’t want to pay him what he’s worth anymore. His contract situation is exactly the same as Barton’s but the impasse on wages is just a difference in the clubs and players PR.

we sold our star centre forward, as well as the £35m, the club didn’t want to pay him what he’s worth,

and by my reckoning Collocini and Jonas within the next year are next up for this dilemma.

As well as the wage restructuring for these players it’s only 2 seasons ago when we stopped paying the wages for Duff, Martins, Owen, Viduka, et al. If we have a good player on his books Ashley won’t pay them what they’re worth. Now I know to an extent this is the same for most clubs, but the fall in standards is shockingly severe.

A crazy gang siege mentality by the players has got us through a real rough patch, but the way Mike and Derek operate they’ll ruin even that.

*oh, and Joey Barton is 28, he’s not 29 until september.

I don't think that wages are an issue with Barton, it's the length of the contract.

the wages offered to him were a lot less than he’s on now, to compensate for that he wanted a longer contract.

— or as Toonpack said.

Edited by Giraffidae

it’s not just Barton* that’s the issue here, it’s the dramatic shift in attitude to wages.

as well as getting rid of players in the last transfer window when we already had a threadbare squad:

putting 2 and 2 together — Enrique won’t be signing a new contract because they want to cut his wages as they don’t want to pay him what he’s worth anymore. His contract situation is exactly the same as Barton’s but the impasse on wages is just a difference in the clubs and players PR.

we sold our star centre forward, as well as the £35m, the club didn’t want to pay him what he’s worth,

and by my reckoning Collocini and Jonas within the next year are next up for this dilemma.

As well as the wage restructuring for these players it’s only 2 seasons ago when we stopped paying the wages for Duff, Martins, Owen, Viduka, et al. If we have a good player on his books Ashley won’t pay them what they’re worth. Now I know to an extent this is the same for most clubs, but the fall in standards is shockingly severe.

A crazy gang siege mentality by the players has got us through a real rough patch, but the way Mike and Derek operate they’ll ruin even that.

Didn't want to pay what he's worth??

He got a new deal after a successful season in the championship and had only played half a season in the prem not to mention his off field issues. I guess we should wait and see if he proves himself to be an 80k per week player

I don't think that wages are an issue with Barton, it's the length of the contract.

I think that's right. They're tieing younsters down to long deals but don't want over the hill and overpaid 'stars' anymore.

Which we've had too many of in the past.

I think that's right. They're tieing younsters down to long deals but don't want over the hill and overpaid 'stars' anymore.

I don't think a 2 year with a year option is unreasonable for a player knocking on 29

He got a new deal after a successful season in the championship and had only played half a season in the prem not to mention his off field issues. I guess we should wait and see if he proves himself to be an 80k per week player

what, so an England international footballer should accept £20k a week, even the club said he was going to review his contract again because he had advanced as a player so much.

It’s about the money and the clubs ambition.

at the end of the day, it boils down to :

Barton is a good player, he's only 29, so keep him for the next 3 years [or maybe 4 on option/reduced terms which is fair enough to strike a compromise if necessary] but KEEP unless they find a better player . At this level of football, a million quid either way is neither here nor there, when the player is the right player and he performs on the pitch and is committed to the club.

Thats exactly where we went wrong in the past. Ignore the extra million here and there and you soon have the whole squad looking to outdo the latest increase and find you are paying 90% of your turnover in wages and are stuck with players on long contracts that are no longer performing (Iknow you don't need me to give you examples).

what a load of crap. I just knew someone would come along and spout this shite. You call playing in europe regularly, the Champions League, expanding the stadium, having the 14th biggest revenues in world football, building up a profile worldwide on the back of all this.....you call it GOING WRONG ? What bollocks, its exactly what fuckwits have been brainwashed with in the past, to be honest. What do you think it takes to do all of this ? Sell your best players, buy 2nd rate replacements and sell any one of those who are any good, lose supporters and revenues....what a peabrain.

He has had significant injury problems as well which generally doesn't bode well for a player in their later years. Even still three years with an option for a fourth would be acceptable in the circumstances.

Wages wise obvisouly we're not privy to how much he is paid, but if the rumours are correct then there's no wauy that he should get any sort of pay rise.

In three weeks he'll have been here for 4 years. In that time he's only been on the pitch 79 times. That's less than half of the competitive games that the club has been involved in. In that time on multiple occassions he has brought the club into disrepute and yet on various occassions the club and managers have stood by him. Any decision he makes about his playing future should take all of that into consideration, and likewise any decision made by the club should also take his history into account. In light of this there could be clauses written into a lengthened contract relating to availability and suspensions.

The problem would now be that the fuckwit Willie McKay will only be interested in getting the most lucrative deal for Barton (and himself) and that is not likely to be offered by Newcastle.

The comparison between Barton and Enrique doesn't stand to reason IMO. Enrique has never had any problems at the club (apart from being under utilised by the manager who bought him) and will have been on much lower wages (he was a young and upcoming player when he was signed). When Barton came he already had a high profile and was recognised as a fully developed talent.

Edited by OzToonFan

Barton is a good player, he's only 29, so keep him for the next 3 years [or maybe 4 on option/reduced terms which is fair enough to strike a compromise if necessary] but KEEP unless they find a better player . At this level of football, a million quid either way is neither here nor there, when the player is the right player and he performs on the pitch and is committed to the club.

Thats exactly where we went wrong in the past. Ignore the extra million here and there and you soon have the whole squad looking to outdo the latest increase and find you are paying 90% of your turnover in wages and are stuck with players on long contracts that are no longer performing (Iknow you don't need me to give you examples).

That was a problem with players that weren't performing. Initially signed at a high price on long contracts.

There's never been anything wrong with Shearer, Lee, Ferdinand, Given etc getting renewed contracts that reflect their value as our best performers.

Barton is in that category at the moment, a vital cog with many more years in him.

exactly. The way some of these fools go on, you would think we spent 15 years buying players who were a waste of space, they actually prefer us to sign players who aren't good enough just so long as they are cheap instead. What a pile of stinking crap.

Re the conspiracy theory :lol:

I think there's nothing sinister in this on either side. Agreement can't reached unfortunately.

One side will blame nasty Ashley. The other will blame greedy Joey. Each side is just looking after their own interest.

Hopefully we get another good year.

I'm quite pleased the club have come out with this as it just seems to tell it as it is and takes the unpleasantness out of the situation that seems to be building with McKay and then Joey on Twitter.

Having got his life turned around, the last thing I think he needs is to be getting into spats on twitter.

Delighted as well that the club seem to have lots of Irons in the fire on the transfer front. I wonder if we'll snap Larsson up today having now being officially released by Birmingham.

love the choice of words for a free transfer that could be seen as Bartons replacement, from a "big club".

It's always about the money.

its about ambition, you're daft if you can't see that. The money only proves the ambition.

what a load of crap. I just knew someone would come along and spout this shite. You call playing in europe regularly, the Champions League, expanding the stadium, having the 14th biggest revenues in world football, building up a profile worldwide on the back of all this.....you call it GOING WRONG ? What bollocks, its exactly what fuckwits have been brainwashed with in the past, to be honest. What do you think it takes to do all of this ? Sell your best players, buy 2nd rate replacements and sell any one of those who are any good, lose supporters and revenues....what a peabrain.

Old copy and paste strikes again, why not answer the points I made the other day??

I don't think a 2 year with a year option is unreasonable for a player knocking on 29

At that age he's obviously looking security while the club don't want to hand a long-term deal to someone on his wages.

Three years with an option for an additional year seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

the wages offered to him were a lot less than he’s on now, to compensate for that he wanted a longer contract.

— or as Toonpack said.

So it's not about the wages then?

Old copy and paste strikes again, why not answer the points I made the other day??

are you really copying and pasting the same old deluded shite ? Why don't you answer my questions and why you are so negative and undersell the club ? Why are you happy signing players who aren't good enough, just so long as they are cheap ?

why are you making things up ? Who said anything about 80 grand a week ? What bollocks is this ?

By the way, "didn't want to pay what he's worth" is what someone else is prepared to pay him and/or show the ambition to go with the money. This is football sunshine, not Netto, the players hold all the cards, keep up or sink.

At that age he's obviously looking security while the club don't want to hand a long-term deal to someone on his wages.

Three years with an option for an additional year seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

exactly right.

are you really copying and pasting the same old deluded shite ? Why don't you answer my questions and why you are so negative and undersell the club ? Why are you happy signing players who aren't good enough, just so long as they are cheap ?

I did answer your questions in the other thread and also made some points that I wanted you to answer but you just duck them, go and have a look and respond to what I said. U could write the same things here if you prefer but will Proberbly ignore it again

I did answer your questions in the other thread and also made some points that I wanted you to answer but you just duck them, go and have a look and respond to what I said. U could write the same things here if you prefer but will Proberbly ignore it again

guy on Newcastle Online and the old Howaythetoon used to say that :lol: And I remember his username...

I've answered all of what you say, and others have asked exactly the same thing. Meanwhile, the club sinks further, and is continuing to lose their best player doing what you defend as being "right" in your mad little mind.

Do you also agree with others that running the club so it played in the champions League, europe regulary, bought top footballers and kept them in their prime, expanded the stadium, raised revenues to the 14th highest in the world, is getting it wrong ?

Fuck me, is there any end to this bollocks.

Edited by LeazesMag

No I dont, being in the champions league was great but as i`ve said things have moved on and had done long before the evil Mike Ashley came on the scene with his plan to destroy Newcastle. Yes we did have some top,top footballers but we also had some right fucking donkeys on top whack money too and the club was being run on debts and that sort of spending was ans is unsustainable.

I could go out and buy a brand new Ferrari on finance and no doubt get some cracking fanny too but when reality bites and the the money dries up I`m back to the the golf and the models have moved on

Get real you fucking dope

— or as Toonpack said.

So it's not about the wages then?

of course it is, length of contract multiplied by weekly wage equals total sum of wages.

It's an absolute shambles that we're willing to get rid of players that we should be building the team around, that's what makes a successful team, we have a good core of the team and we seem intent on ripping that out, and Pardew just fucking sits there and accepts that we're losing one of our best players, its ridiculous.

Players won't see us as an attractive prospect to come to if theyre just going to get fobbed sometime down the road. The players we currently have arent going to be happy either and will start on a number of our main players being sold and made to seem like the villains.

It's fucking infuriating supporting the toon sometimes