no deal for Joey

Knackers

Completely misses the point though. Getting £35m for Carroll was a no-brainer. What pisses people off is the belief it won't be reinvested in terms of new personnel.

I understand that, but I cant be arsed to get into drama mode just yet. Maybe if the situations the same come the first game of the season.

Point is though, if he goes, it is another quality player / one integral to the first team gone. That's what people are worried about. That's what people are inevitably discussing in the wake of Barton's agent coming out and saying he is leaving the club. I don't think people are being particularly 'dramatic' about it either. It's more a case of being resigned to the notion that the club is going one step forward and two steps back again. The Ben Arfa and Tiote signings are more than wiped out if Enrique and Barton join Carroll out the door. You need excellent additions to even get back to square one in that's the case. I know: wait and see what happens in the summer :lol:

Leaving summer 2012 is what his agent said. So we get another year out of him playing extremely well for his next move by which time he will be on his way to 31.

I dont disagree its not an ideal situation but at the same time I can understand the club (given the way it is now run) not wanting to sign up a 29 year old on a 4 year contract. Particularly when we really havent had value for money out of him for 3 of the 4 years.

I guess if Joey wont go for the two years then they will rightly ask the question, is there someone younger similar who we can sign up on decent money for 4 years.

Personally I would do anything to keep him but its not my dosh.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex
Completely misses the point though. Getting £35m for Carroll was a no-brainer. What pisses people off is the belief it won't be reinvested in terms of new personnel.

I understand that, but I cant be arsed to get into drama mode just yet. Maybe if the situations the same come the first game of the season.

Point is though, if he goes, it is another quality player / one integral to the first team gone. That's what people are worried about. That's what people are inevitably discussing in the wake of Barton's agent coming out and saying he is leaving the club. I don't think people are being particularly 'dramatic' about it either. It's more a case of being resigned to the notion that the club is going one step forward and two steps back again. The Ben Arfa and Tiote signings are more than wiped out if Enrique and Barton join Carroll out the door. You need excellent additions to even get back to square one in that's the case. I know: wait and see what happens in the summer :lol:

Leaving summer 2012 is what his agent said. So we get another year out of him playing extremely well for his next move by which time he will be on his way to 31.

I dont disagree its not an ideal situation but at the same time I can understand the club (given the way it is now run) not wanting to sign up a 29 year old on a 4 year contract. Particularly when we really havent had value for money out of him for 3 of the 4 years.

I guess if Joey wont go for the two years then they will rightly ask the question, is there someone younger similar who we can sign up on decent money for 4 years.

Best case scenario that though.

next summer ?

They haven't gone yet.

I can understand the club (given the way it is now run) not wanting to sign up a 29 year old on a 4 year contract. Particularly when we really havent had value for money out of him for 3 of the 4 years.

Ratcheting up the gears now, the pendulum starting to swing...

Phil-Taylor-001.jpg

phil-taylor1.jpg

darts-generic-155205267.jpg

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY!

From BBC....Newcastle United midfielder Joey Barton is set to leave the Tyneside club after contract negotiations broke down between the two parties.

The 28-year-old, who has a year to run on his present contract, was unable to agree terms on a new deal.

Magpies boss Alan Pardew has been quoted as wanting to retain Barton, who joined Newcastle from Manchester City in July 2007 for £5.8m.

Huyton-born Barton has scored eight goals in 82 appearances at Newcastle.

Barton has previously stated his happiness at Newcastle, and was even quoted as wanting to extend the contract in February of this year.

"We had talks in January - Joey was prepared to take a drop in wages and we couldn't get anywhere," Barton's agent Willie McKay told BBC Newcastle.

"I had a meeting this morning with [managing director] Derek [Llambias] and [football secretary] Lee [Charnley] and there was no offer on the table.

"I've no idea what their thoughts were on the situation, they knew he was going to take less money. He's 28, which is a funny age, he needed a four-year contract which would see him through his best years.

"He was happy with four years and less money.

"He'll probably just run his contract out [at Newcastle], but we need to look for something for Joey in January, and that's where we are.

Continue reading the main story Joey was prepared to take a drop in wages and we couldn't get anywhere

Willie McKay

Joey Barton's agent

"He wants to play as well as he can for Newcastle this year, and get the club where they belong which is top five."

Barton is one of several first-team players linked with a move away from St James' Park, with former Spain Under-21 full-back Jose Enrique the subject of reported interest from Premier League rivals.

He reinvented himself as a footballer, that is from being a combative goal poaching attacking midfielder [who was adept at ghosting into the box] into more of ball playing/creative wideman akin to Solano, with the measured passing game. Although Nobby was much better crosser of the ball, but all the same he is a much more rounded playmaking type as opposed to his kamakaze /box-crashing days at City where he was more one-dimensional in his attacking play. His aforementioned transformation shows that he has a football brain to match his skill on the ball. JB's 'football smarts' will be a missed asset when you have a potential understudy still learning the tools of the trade, in the form of Lua Lua.

Edited by Year Zero

He reinvented himself as a footballer, that is from being a combative goal poaching attacking midfielder [who was adept at ghosting into the box] into more of ball playing/creative wideman akin to Solano, with the measured passing game. Although Nobby was much better crosser of the ball, but all the same he is a much more rounded playmaking type as opposed to his kamakaze /box-crashing days at City where he was more one-dimensional in his attacking play. His aforementioned transformation shows that he has a football brain to match his skill on the ball. JB's 'football smarts' will be a missed asset when you have a potential understudy still learning the tools of the trade, in the form of Lua Lua.

a few people have talked up Lua Lua [more in hope ?] but tbh I want to see a bit more of him first.

Barton and Nolan are the heartbeat of the club, they are the 2 leaders.

a few people have talked up Lua Lua [more in hope ?] but tbh I want to see a bit more of him first.

I agree with that. I don't think Lua Lua will cut it at the top flight-I'd love if he did though.

Guest alex

Not sure you could play two proper wingers then a central midfield including Nolan anyway (assuming we're going 4-4-2). Obviously this is a worry for the season after next though :lol:

I agree with that. I don't think Lua Lua will cut it at the top flight-I'd love if he did though.

yes, I'm not massively impressed but haven't wrote him off just yet.

As said, losing Barton will rip the team apart. In the 4-4 Arsenal game, he was dragging those bastards forward by their bollocks and he does it every time. If he shows up then we show up. Seb Larsson doesn't quite have those qualities.

See quotes from Pardew regarding Fulham away for proof of that.

I think if Nolan makes the starting 11 next season then imo we wont have progressed in the summer.

I think if Nolan makes the starting 11 next season then imo we wont have progressed in the summer.

Aye, if we get rid of our top scorer and captain, we'll certainly have progressed.

Aye, if we get rid of our top scorer and captain, we'll certainly have progressed.

He's top scorer because we dont have any strikers.

Cant believe anyone would include Nolan in their starting 11 given we have a decent window.

Cant believe anyone would include Nolan in their starting 11 given we have a decent window.

Aye but you'd have Lua Lua in regardless so you're not the best judge.

You see what we miss when Nolan's out the side; compare his play to Guthrie's or Smith's. Nolan's better in possession, a better finisher and a leader on the pitch. Not sure why I'm even bothering responding actually.

What!? :lol:

Would you care to explain that utterly ridiculous statement? ;)

So you cant have a goal scoring midfielder and strikers?

Oh and why don't we have a main striker? Ask you mate Derek...

Mark Douglas's Blog at the Sunday Sun

IF there was ever any scintilla of doubt about where the power lies at Newcastle United, it was brutally removed yesterday.

By sending Joey Barton's agent packing without even the sniff of a contract offer yesterday, Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias sent a message. It was a clarion call to the dressing room, to the manager and to any agents presuming the club's need to recruit gives them a licence to make unreasonable demands - and it leaves no-one in any doubt that they are in firm control of events at St James' Park.

I will declare my personal feelings here - and that is the club are making a huge mistake with Barton. He is an exceptional player who has played a key part in United passing their first Premier League test with flying colours. In addition to that I have always found him charming, engaging and fascinating company.

But I don't have the benefit of working with him day in and day out and the picture painted by others is more complex. Barton can be difficult, bolshy and troublesome when irked and he requires careful management. There are days when too much effort and attention is channelled on one man, and while it hasn't emerged publicly there have been times when he hasn't been shy about coming forward to proffer opinions on the people who run the club. That verdict has been delivered in uncompromising terms directly to the chairman too.

That outspoken approach has not helped Barton, who made a mistake by giving an interview to a French magazine in March. I believe that Ashley and Llambias - who have probably not forgotten the money spent in the wasted first three years of Barton's contract - are re-affirming their supremacy at St James' Park.

Emboldened by the belief that recent big calls like the sacking of Chris Hughton, the sale of Andy Carroll and the appointment of Alan Pardew have come off, they're preparing to make another big, unpopular call. And Barton finds himself the fall guy.

In this battle of wills, though, no-one comes off in credit.

Barton, who is just as stubborn as Ashley and company, wants to remain at Newcastle for the rest of the career but has been shoved towards the exit door. Pardew's credibility has taken another hit because he made such a play of trying to keep hold of the midfielder. And Newcastle United's dressing room is weaker for losing one of its best players.

Ashley will believe there is another Cheick Tiote out there ready to replace Barton. The Toon owner will think he can find someone who'll be less hassle and far cheaper than Barton.

But that is a simplistic view. For all his failings Barton offers ferocious commitment and has played a pivotal part in the club's recent renaissance. And as anyone who watched the Arsenal comeback will testify, he can play as well.

I hope a solution can be found that keeps Barton at the club for a long time to come. Where there is a contract, there is hope - as we found out in the Steven Taylor saga.

But at the moment it looks like Barton will become the latest big player to depart Newcastle. And whichever way you try to spin it, the club, its manager and its playing staff will be weaker when it happens.

In a nutshell.

Aye, who would want to include the 13th top league goalscorer in their midfield. :lol:

What!? :lol:

Would you care to explain that utterly ridiculous statement? ;)

Its pretty fucking simple really :D If we had decent strikers he wouldnt be top scorer.