no deal for Joey

Knackers

You see what we miss when Nolan's out the side; compare his play to Guthrie's or Smith's. Nolan's better in possession, a better finisher and a leader on the pitch. Not sure why I'm even bothering responding actually.

Not sure you are either with an argument like that. I said starting 11 next year!

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok then - Why shouldn't the third highest goal scoring midfielder in the league, our captain and a strong member of a unified dressing room, who made 30 appearances this year - not start next year?

Who is going to replace him who would achieve similar (Malouda/Van Der Vaart/C.Adam) and how much will it cost?

For the record here's a list of other cheap accessible players he's outscored or matched...

Rooney, Drogba, Gyan, Kalou, Dempsey, Lampard, Nasri, Torres, Pavlyuchenko...

I'm sure Ashley can secure a better player with a £1.5m bid and £5k a week...

Why don't we have any decent strikers? :lol:

Phil Airey won the golden boot for the reserves.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ashley sees him as good enough to justify not buying a striker.

Emboldened by the belief that recent big calls like the sacking of Chris Hughton, the sale of Andy Carroll and the appointment of Alan Pardew have come off, they're preparing to make another big, unpopular call. And Barton finds himself the fall guy.

In a nutshell.

I hope he means that Fat Mike and Dekka believe this and not anybody else (other than CT), we're yet to see any evidence that sacking Hughton has paid off, I can't believe Pardew is on any less money than the popular, respectable, competent manager. Selling Carroll will only pay off if that money is reinvested and we see genuine progression from that reinvestment. Appointing Pardew cannot be gauged as successful for a while yet. Half a season, where the groundwork was laid by another man cannot be used as a marker for his own achievements. He may have steered us through the greatest comeback I've ever seen, but Hughton's team were the men who drove us forward, not Pardew's.

-----------------Krul

Simpson Taylor Williamson A.N.Other

----------------Tiote

---Gosling --- Nolan --- Ferguson?

-------------------Ben Arfa

----------Ameobi

That is not progression.

I omit Barton because I think if he doesn't sign a contract he'll fuck off to Stoke or Bolton, the other obvious omissions are because I think when Enrique goes, Jonas and Colo won't be far behind.

oh and for what it's worth, I'm usually found on the optimistic side of the fence.

Ok then - Why shouldn't the third highest goal scoring midfielder in the league, our captain and a strong member of a unified dressing room, who made 30 appearances this year - not start next year?

Who is going to replace him who would achieve similar (Malouda/Van Der Vaart/C.Adam) and how much will it cost?

For the record here's a list of other cheap accessible players he's outscored or matched...

Rooney, Drogba, Gyan, Kalou, Dempsey, Lampard, Nasri, Torres, Pavlyuchenko...

I'm sure Ashley can secure a better player with a £1.5m bid and £5k a week...

They've already said we are about to tie up an international midfielder. Doubt they will be buying him for the bench.

They have also indicated they want pacy wingers, so you now have Barton, Tiote, the new midfielder, Gosling not too mention a possible new move for Ireland and Nolan. All basically vying for two spots.

Its simple really. :lol:

Barton is going and Ireland isn't our player and when he was he managed 43 minutes of football in 4 months.

Tiote will inevitably leave in January or before.

So Nolan vs ?

Oh and if you believe the story about an ''International Midfielder'' you're the perfect fan for Ashley and Llambias to feed their shit too. Well you would be if you went to games.

milesstarforth Miles Starforth

RT @stevewraith: Joey Barton Exclusive Message to the fans tonight only on TOON TALK RADIO 6pm-7pm www.fansonline.net/newcastleunited #nufc

I'm going to try and play non-biased/blinkered devil's advocate.

Purely from a footballing perspective, is Barton really that essential, and thus his loss that big a blow if it happens?

Massive credit to him for the 1st half of last season where he and carroll were the source of a very significant amount of our goals but once AC left, there seemed to be a bit less magic from JB. His set pieces and crosses looked a lot less threatening and much more erratic once he couldn't just rely on getting the ball into a rough area and AC doing the rest. You then look at how he's generally done for us excepting that spell where AC looked unplayable and its mediocre at best. The chances of us finding another player like Carroll must be pretty minute as well.

A lot has been said about the team spirit side of things and Barton's role in that, so there is a danger that him leaving could be the straw that breaks the camel's back given other problems at the club. He has also had a pretty good role in the media and generally sent positive and often non-club propaganda messages to the fans.

I do also think that on the pitch he's the player I'd most want to be playing a through-ball to whomever our strikers are if they are able to make such runs. But that's more a damning indictment of the other players than a massive pat on the back to JB.

Basically, I don't think it would be hard to upgrade from Barton in terms of what he offers on the pitch to the club sans Carroll. Its just that given Ashley's past record its difficult to see past it being a bad move. If we had a chairman with a clean slate willing to adequately re-invest in the squad, and a squad not looking on the precipice of relegation should some bad vibes creep in - I wouldn't bat an eyelid at him being shipped out.

Obviously that's a fantasy make-believe world (until Ambani takes over, of course)