no deal for Joey

Knackers

Meanwhile, as we find new ways of weakening the team, manure spend more on a keeper than we'll probably spend over the summer.

Now thats a proper club.

They only spent 2 million on their last number one.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll be 30 at the start of next season btw. So if he wants £40k a week for 3 years with an option for 1 extra year, thats him on big money eith us until he is 34.

Tbf, his legs wont last that long.

If the extra year was optional then I wouldn't think that a problem, in my opinion. Beats paying someone who might not be as good.

‎@optajoe 5 - No player assisted more goals (5) or created more goalscoring chances (41) from set pieces in the PL in 2010/11 than Joey Barton. Bibs.

He'll be 30 at the start of next season btw. So if he wants £40k a week for 3 years with an option for 1 extra year, thats him on big money eith us until he is 34.

If the extra year was optional then I wouldn't think that a problem, in my opinion. Beats paying someone who might not be as good.

Well thats not to say it wont be a problem. If you look at the role he plays coming narrow and then getting back out wide to defend when we lose the ball, he has a lot of running to do. At present, if Barton has to chase someone, you know he isnt going to catch him. In a few years he'll be slower than Stevie's metabolism.

fair comment, Rob Lee played on though

Different type of player though, Barton does a lot more defensive work.

Well thats not to say it wont be a problem. If you look at the role he plays coming narrow and then getting back out wide to defend when we lose the ball, he has a lot of running to do. At present, if Barton has to chase someone, you know he isnt going to catch him. In a few years he'll be slower than Stevie's metabolism.

;) Keep the pressure on. ;)

Different type of player though, Barton does a lot more defensive work.

last few years of Rob Lee's time, he played much deeper mate.

They have slightly different attributes maybe, Barton might not be as good a tackler etc as Rob Lee, but it all depends how he looks after himself.

Well, he's off the drink which should mean he will keep his fitness longer. He's got the brain too to compensate for the lack of pace.

If it was me, i'd give him what he wants as i love him but i can see why there might be some questions over that length of contract at his age.

Willie Cunt McKay on total sport, Radio Newcastle, 5.30pm tonight.

If it was done and dusted he be moving on trying to sort a new club for JB.

6 more minutes and things might become a bit more clearer as to whether Willie is being a cunt or not.

A lot harder to "choose" your words live on radio IF the host gets his job right.

Willie Cunt McKay on total sport, Radio Newcastle, 5.30pm tonight.

If it was done and dusted he be moving on trying to sort a new club for JB.

6 more minutes and things might become a bit more clearer as to whether Willie is being a cunt or not.

A lot harder to "choose" your words live on radio IF the host gets his job right.

talking to yourself ?

If it was (just) a question of contract length, I'd like to think he'd be philosophical about it and take a straight 3 year contract instead, recognising that 4 year deals for top flight midfielders aged 30 shouldn't be regarded as an industry norm. That's not to say that I've assumed that's all there is to it however. 2J's post pretty much nails it for me.

If it was (just) a question of contract length, I'd like to think he'd be philosophical about it and take a straight 3 year contract instead, recognising that 4 year deals for top flight midfielders aged 30 shouldn't be regarded as an industry norm. That's not to say that I've assumed that's all there is to it however. 2J's post pretty much nails it for me.

aye, I've read 2j's post and I agree too, and I agree with Chez that 3 years with an option for another 1 is fair enough if that is what he is asking.

Unfortunately, I fully expect the club to tell us lies about the terms if he doesn't sign and ends up leaving.

aye, I've read 2j's post and I agree too, and I agree with Chez that 3 years with an option for another 1 is fair enough if that is what he is asking.

Unfortunately, I fully expect the club to tell us lies about the terms if he doesn't sign and ends up leaving.

Aye, basically. The only caveat to that being the lies that McKay will publish the other way also. I actually think Barton will give the straight answer whatever the outcome, once the dust has settled, I just hope it's after he's put pen to paper for us. *famous last words*

One good thing is that of all the players at our club, Barton is the man I'd expect to come out and say exactly what was going on. Wheter it's "They didn't offer me the length I wanted" or "They're not showing the ambition they promised" or whatever. It's not like he gives a fuck about the owner, is it? ;)

Btw, double checking and he'll be 29 rather than 30 at the start of the season. Basically I think it's perfectly legit for the club to offer 3 years at that age, but in Barton's case (and if it becomes pivotal to negotiations), that has to just be a starting position, whereby you give him his 4 if he's away otherwise. In individual cases, the final years wastage/depreciation has to just be seen as a price worth paying for the other good years you can hopefully expect out of them.

I have to say though, given Joey's rhetoric this season, while obviously I don't think he should allow (or will allow) the club to take the piss out of him, I'd still like to think that consistent with what he's been saying he'd be absolutely looking for the middle ground in order to get a deal done.

One good thing is that of all the players at our club, Barton is the man I'd expect to come out and say exactly what was going on. Wheter it's "They didn't offer me the length I wanted" or "They're not showing the ambition they promised" or whatever. It's not like he gives a fuck about the owner, is it? ;)

In a nutshell.

Btw, double checking and he'll be 29 rather than 30 at the start of the season. Basically I think it's perfectly legit for the club to offer 3 years at that age, but in Barton's case (and if it becomes pivotal to negotiations), that has to just be a starting position, whereby you give him his 4 if he's away otherwise. In individual cases, the final years wastage/depreciation has to just be seen as a price worth paying for the other good years you can hopefully expect out of them.

I'm glad you said that and not me, because its what I had in mind but chose not to for obvious reasons.....

I'm glad you said that and not me, because its what I had in mind but chose not to for obvious reasons.....

;) ...I know where you're coming from. Enough said.

it’ll be Barton out and Larsson in.

“well they both play in the same position and Larsson won’t want as much in wages, that’s good business” — of course it is Mike and Derek, because you know so much about football.

100% 63k-25k = £38k saving. Fucking sick. He's really proved what a player he is this season, and now he's going. FFS we're saving 40k on Campbell fucking off. Makes nee sense Barton has shown willing to meet half way, he's at the optimum age for a footballer with 4 or 5 top years left, and this happens. Bunch of wanks, wish my form wasn't in noo tbh

don’t get me wrong I think Larsson is a good player, but he isn’t anywhere near as good as Barton.

But when you’ve got numpties running the club who sit there in an Alan Smith replica shirt not realising the irony that it’s them that are paying ridiculous wages on a rubbish footballer — what else can you expect.

Barton is what SBR would of called one of his ‘blue chip players’ and would have built a team around him and done what is really ‘good business’ in a football sense, rather than a bean counters deluded interpretation.

it’ll be Barton out and Larsson in.

“well they both play in the same position and Larsson won’t want as much in wages, that’s good business” — of course it is Mike and Derek, because you know so much about football.

100% 63k-25k = £38k saving. Fucking sick. He's really proved what a player he is this season, and now he's going. FFS we're saving 40k on Campbell fucking off. Makes nee sense Barton has shown willing to meet half way, he's at the optimum age for a footballer with 4 or 5 top years left, and this happens. Bunch of wanks, wish my form wasn't in noo tbh

don’t get me wrong I think Larsson is a good player, but he isn’t anywhere near as good as Barton.

But when you’ve got numpties running the club who sit there in an Alan Smith replica shirt not realising the irony that it’s them that are paying ridiculous wages on a rubbish footballer — what else can you expect.

Barton is what SBR would of called one of his ‘blue chip players’ and would have built a team around him and done what is really ‘good business’ in a football sense, rather than a bean counters deluded interpretation.

that should be bookmarked, its got a chance of being sickeningly nailed on.

Mckay said they never offered him a contract at all. Cant help but think Mckay is being sneaky. If Pardew is trying to sign these players Gervinho etc and Barton saying hes off they will quickly offer him what he wants otherwise the likes of Gervinho and Gameiro will just be like nee chance

Mckay said they never offered him a contract at all. Cant help but think Mckay is being sneaky. If Pardew is trying to sign these players Gervinho etc and Barton saying hes off they will quickly offer him what he wants otherwise the likes of Gervinho and Gameiro will just be like nee chance

I think its a bit of a ploy on Mckay's part as well.....last throw of the dice?

It's probably 75-25 that he won't sign and will play next season out and leave, maybe for a foreign club as he can speak to them in January 2012.

But I think that this isn't terminal; I think he genuinely wants to stay but at the same time he's the same as any of us...how many of us would hang around if our employers were saying that they were going to cut our wages in half (at least, according to what we hear) when we know we could be on a better deal elsewhere? Having said that, there may still be a compromise that can be reached. Unless they just want him out of the club anyway. If Pardew is a true "football man" he'll know and understand Barton's value to the club on the pitch...I suppose it depends just how much of a puppet our manager really is as to whether he goes into bat on Barton's behalf. and how much of an influence he has if he does so anyway. I won't hold my breath on that one mind.

Bottom line is, as many have said in this thread, it just shows we're owned and run by a pair of fuckwits who know the price of everything but the value of nothing.