Change @ St. James

Christmas Tree

I wouldn't mind as much if the press release says something along the lines of

"to accompany increasing the size of the stadium, it will be renamed to Sports Direct Arena",

or

"as this move will obviously on face value benefit Sports Direct more than it will the recipient, we are delighted to announce that this will lead to a massive cash injection from Sports Direct starting from the next transfer window".

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can only be done if they explain how much SD will pay NUFC either directly or indirectly. Can't be done any other way since we are meant to be breaking even, so any discussion of the extra investment to cover losses is moot.

Can anyone explain the national press/embargo chat on twitter?

Guest Your Name Here

Can only be done if they explain how much SD will pay NUFC either directly or indirectly. Can't be done any other way since we are meant to be breaking even, so any discussion of the extra investment to cover losses is moot.

Aye, they’re all shit scared of being banned from the Sports Direct Arena so just do what they are told. Just more vultures who haven’t got the guts to stand for NUFC while it is slowly destroyed.

Guest Your Name Here

I'm struggling to believe even MA is this daft by the way

Completely agree with this, it's absolutely appalling if this is true. Back to the poisonous atmospheres of previous seasons.

I'm not saying "it's just a name" or anything like that, but we should try to keep our feelings towards the owner seperate from our respect and appreciation of how the players and staff are doing.

I agree fully, after all the hard work the players and staff have done to give the fans a positive and to keep us from thinking about MA and his cronies he goes and does something that will cause more protesting etc, I can't stand this bloke. I hope the atmosphere in the ground is nothing but positive.

Fuck the players. Fuck Pardew. Fuck the atmosphere. None if it really matters in the long term. What matters is the traditions that tie the club to the community, the 100 years of history that are being slung in the bin so SD can flog a few more naff trainers. Most the players won’t be here in five years time, most of them don’t really give a shit about NUFC.

Haven't got to the bottom of that myself, but seemingly the story was embargoed until midnight and a "national newspaper sports editor" has gone early on it. Which breaks rule 1.1 in the journalists handbook.

Basically SD are getting it for nowt on the assumption it will open the doors for a deal with someone else. Times point out that Northern Rock deal (worth about £2M per year) is due to end and a deal including the stadium name would be nearer £8M per year.

While I agree that makes sense as far as raising funds goes and also I agree that we aren't the first and wont be the last (Chelsea, Spurs et al), we'll still call it SJP.

"difficult financial times" in which the club is breaking even. speccy cunt.

'To plug the increasingly yawning gap between revenue and spending'

Fuck off Smith and do some basic research. Cunt.