Tooj

Yeah fair one, I felt that it had been reported so much and in so much detail there was more than an element of truth to it, and when asked the club didnt deny or confirm the clause exisited. On the old "balance of probability" I'd say it existed.

TBF a lot of the rest of what you said is valid (although the evidence of his time in England suggests that this knee issue isn't much of a problem for now at least), he is on the higher end of our desired age range, he will almost certainly be second fiddle to Cisse and most importantly you are right in that the only we are going to be able increase our transfer fund is to buy players low and sell them high.

But we are still going to need more than Cisse and Shola as the player who can play and the central point of the front three (if we continue to play the way we ended last season. And there's been very little sign of that so far this preseason) so if we sold him at a large profit to increase what we could spend on a more naturally left sided player, that would still leave us short of strikers and in need of finding some more money to spend on one. This leaves us needing to sell someone else (Tiote being the most likely) and needing to fill their position with either someone already at the club or via more spending. I just don't see that selling Ba would benefit us at all unless he has a stinker next season and we miss an oppertunity.

Exactly. We should have done more to keep Guthrie with that in mind

I don't really think Guthrie offered any cover for Tiote though. He was only ever going to be able to cover Cabaye or Jonas. Abeid or Biggi probably already offer more than Guthrie could in that sense. We might also end up with the kid from Ajax who can do that role as well as covering the fullback positions.

I also doubt the club could have done much more to keep him. He wanted to play football which you can't blame him for and he was never going to be able to force his way into the team ahead of Tiote, Cabaye or Jonas so our hands were tied.

Thought Guthrie covered tiote well last season and played well alongside cabaye when needed. The other lads like abheid are all unproven. Hopefully they'll do as good a job

Thought Guthrie covered tiote well last season and played well alongside cabaye when needed. The other lads like abheid are all unproven. Hopefully they'll do as good a job

Guthrie didn't cover for Tiote though. Cabaye was the one playing deeper and doing the defensive work when Tiote wad out, not Guthrie.

Guthrie didn't cover for Tiote though. Cabaye was the one playing deeper and doing the defensive work when Tiote wad out, not Guthrie.

Yeah I'd agree with this. And it hurt Cabayes game too. Guthrie replaced Cabaye as the more forward midfielder and although he was the best he'd ever been for us (and generally canny) he still wasn't close to being at Cabaye's level.

Yeah I know that but the point is he was good enough to come in for tiote and do a good job in

Central midfield - we got some good results in with Guthrie alongside cabaye last season. We don't yet know if the young guns in our current second string will equal that level of performance.

I think Perch is canny in that role. It's generally quite low responsibility and he can pressure well, has a decent enough tackle and keeps it simple in possession. I think we'll see Bigi or Abeid in there though since I think he sees Gosling and Amalfitano as playing in Cabaye's role. Central midfield is definitely our place with most strength in depth though, even without Guthrie.

Perch looked alright in that role when Pards played him there last season, although obviously it'd be interesting to see how he does given an extended run of games as the main DM. He'd be best used as a DM at away games where there onus will be on silencing the home team fans and breaking up attacks.

I love the fact we can now think about Perch in the team without worrying so much he'll be utter gash.

The almost unanimous verdict of Perch's abitlies last season was that, apart from half a dozen games, he was fuckin shite. A slightly more adaptable Titus Bramble if you like. I think theres some re-writing of history going on here.

The almost unanimous verdict of Perch's abitlies last season was that, apart from half a dozen games, he was fuckin shite. A slightly more adaptable Titus Bramble if you like. I think theres some re-writing of history going on here.

I'm with you here. That nickname aswell, fucking hell :lol:

Eh? :lol:

I thought Perch played well in nearly all of the games at centre back and in midfield, he just gets exposed at fullback.

His other problem is he's one of our players like Williamson, Ryan Taylor and Simpson that if the team play poorly then these guys will he hit hard by fans on the individual markings, where as it doesn't matter how bad the likes of Coloccini, Tiote, Cabaye, HBA or Ba play you won't often see them get lower than a 7.

Eh? :lol:

Bramble could look like the Black Bobby Moore at times.

I'm with you here. That nickname aswell, fucking hell :lol:

Some short memories on here mind. If a top player leaves before the end of the month and is replaced "from within the present squad" the moaning on here will make Loose Women look like a debate at the Oxford Union ;)

Edited by PaddockLad

I honestly don't recall him playing shite at all last year. Simply remember him being used in various roles and doing very well each time.