Recommend me a good restaurant in Newcastle

Anorthernsoul

I tried the new Sambuca in Forest Hall yesterday lunchtime. I've never been to any of their other restaurants but I knew what sort of thing to expect. It was surprisingly busy for a Tuesday afternoon. Food was decent, hot and I know it's all a bit bampy but personally I can't really complain when you've paid less than a tenner for 3 courses and 2 drinks. We'd finished all the food within 45 minutes of arrival and I thought they may have wanted us out but it had quietened down a bit so we stayed for another drink.

One of those that falls into the "it is what it is" sort of category for me. The staff could do with better organisation mind (5 separate people asked if we wanted drinks - very polite but I think once is sufficient when we'd just got sat down!) Would go back just for somewhere local to meet and catch up with friends etc, not for a special occasion or over a weekend.

Been to one of the ones at the fish quay, the one next to the tunnel and the one in Heaton park and I can't complain about any of them. Like you say, they are what they are. If you fancy going out for some food but aren't flushed they're spot on.

Red Lion --- West Boldon

A short walk from the very popular and good Black Horse. Dont do the walk :(

Served up stuff today that would have disappointed had it been served up as a school dinner in a 1980's comp.

Wish I was brave enough to stick two fingers down my throat.

2/10 and they only get two because of the great waitress staff.

• 2 weeks later...

Been to one of the ones at the fish quay, the one next to the tunnel and the one in Heaton park and I can't complain about any of them. Like you say, they are what they are. If you fancy going out for some food but aren't flushed they're spot on.

The one in Blyth is canny enough, great value if thats what you are looking for. Was there on Saturday.

Went to the Marco Pierre White place at Hotel Indigo last night. Service was a bit slow and one of the waitresses seemed to be a bit unhappy about something but food was good. Wine was good, the French was over-priced but the Spanish was good value (we had the 95 Rioja Gran Reserva with the starters and it was lush).

The steaks were great but you'd expect them to be at 20 odd quid.

Edited by ChezGiven

I only report on the restaurants i go to in Newcastle in the 'recommend a restaurant in Newcastle' thread.

i struggle to do that given i only get home 2-3 times a year these days.

i had a belter of a chinese at the dragon house last time i was up for the match.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a rack of lamb, but the Broad Chare does a lamb dish that you have to order in advance and they cook it for 7 hours. It requires a minimum number of diners, but if you showed them some of the shit you put away in one sitting, they'd make an exception.

Not a rack of lamb, but the Broad Chare does a lamb dish that you have to order in advance and they cook it for 7 hours. It requires a minimum number of diners, but if you showed them some of the shit you put away in one sitting, they'd make an exception.

Aye, I've read about that the last time I was in. Close, but no cigar.

El Coto........Any good, peeps?

(I know Cath was there recently but so was CT sooooooo.........) :lol:

Love it there. Food was gorgeous, staff are great and there's just a nice chilled atmosphere. I've been twice recently, once on a Wednesday night and there were just us and two other tables of people, and at 8pm on a Saturday night with mancy when every table was full and it was fantastic both times.

Love it there. Food was gorgeous, staff are great and there's just a nice chilled atmosphere. I've been twice recently, once on a Wednesday night and there were just us and two other tables of people, and at 8pm on a Saturday night with mancy when every table was full and it was fantastic both times.

Probably going there tonight, then! :good: