Obertan: Earths' gravity is no match for him.

Park Life

he definitely looks a confidence player and the noticable groans that go around st james park every time gives the ball away won't help him but you have to wonder if he has the ability, raw pace aside, or the belief in himself that he has the ability. he's obvioulsy got pace to burn but he never tries to take on his man on the outside as a pacey winger should. i lost count against chelsea of the amount of times he looked to be getting the better of cole then stopped and passed the ball back inside to simpson.

haven't seen anything from yet to suggest anybody but the most clueless man u fans would compare him to ronaldo.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been given numerous chances now. He must have played at least 10 games for us, and has only had a telling contribution in one of them.

He's been given more than enough time to build his confidence up. I'd like to think one properly decent performance would be the turning point for him but I can't see such a match occuring.

Unfortunately we're lacking other options at the moment, so he'll get more games. Our lack of depth is a serious issue especially given Pardew's reluctance to play reserve players for whatever reason. We knew it would be a problem before the season started, but we all hoped the best starting 11 we have would stay fit long enough for us to be alright. We've hit a bad period in terms of injuries and it's not a surprise to see us struggling a bit with players out of position etc.

Poor man's Routledge? ;)

Fair comment. He's not looking any better on evidence so far. Routledge was light weight but he carried a threat. At least he used his pace to get to the byline from time to time and put a ball in the box. Only seen obertan do that once and it resulted in an assist yet he gets the full 90 mins more often than not. Routledge rarely got more than 10 mins off the bench.

He's been given numerous chances now. He must have played at least 10 games for us, and has only had a telling contribution in one of them.

Barfa's only performed in 2 out of his 11 appearances and all the wise heads on here will lambast you if you suggest more should be forthcoming from him.

Not saying Obertan is any good or Ben Arfa is shite, but the gulf between the 2 in terms of patience from fans is interesting to note. Especially when Barfa is the older, much more experienced of the 2.

[tin hat on]

Barfa's only performed in 2 out of his 11 appearances and all the wise heads on here will lambast you if you suggest more should be forthcoming from him.

Not saying Obertan is any good or Ben Arfa is shite, but the gulf between the 2 in terms of patience from fans is interesting to note. Especially when Barfa is the older, much more experienced of the 2.

[tin hat on]

The only real way to tell would be to break one of Obertans legs and see how he gets on after that. Mmmm...Food for thought?

HF makes a good point. Bit like when Perch gave the ball away once and the crowd were right on his back. Inevitable I suppose but it fucks me off as its counter-productive.

HF makes a good point. Bit like when Perch gave the ball away once and the crowd were right on his back. Inevitable I suppose but it fucks me off as its counter-productive.

It was a shit point really. People are more 'patient' with HBA because he has great attributes as a footballer: good technique, excellent dribbling skills, an eye for creative plays and so on. Obertan has not displayed a single outstanding attribute--including workrate and application--during his time in England. I think the term 'patience' is misused in this context. The actual case is that most people accept HBA as a good footballer, and recognize that Obertan is not a good footballer at this level.

Obertan put in a decent cross aswell when he took on Cole(?) and pulled the ball back to the pen spot, but no one was arrived on it and the fans still got on his back even though it was good wing play tbh

Was that the play when Shola and Ba had made runs into the box and Obertan pulled it behind both of them? That was utter shite.

Obertan put in a decent cross aswell when he took on Cole(?) and pulled the ball back to the pen spot, but no one was arrived on it and the fans still got on his back even though it was good wing play tbh

I don't want to be picky, but would it not have been better to pick out one of his own players? B)

Sod it, Kevin beat me to it

Edited by RobinRobin

I didn't think he was anywhere near as bad as people are making out here. Not good mind you.

This is my point. There seems to be no room to consider him mediocre. "He's shit and if you say any different you must think he's brilliant. What a knob etc.".

I think he has his moments and can improve, like any other player, if given the chance.

It was a shit point really. People are more 'patient' with HBA because he has great attributes as a footballer: good technique, excellent dribbling skills, an eye for creative plays and so on. Obertan has not displayed a single outstanding attribute--including workrate and application--during his time in England. I think the term 'patience' is misused in this context. The actual case is that most people accept HBA as a good footballer, and recognize that Obertan is not a good footballer at this level.

I agree the comparison with HBA probably isn't the best one to make because his potential is much more obvious. Not really defending Obertan's performances but the general lack of patience shown towards certain players, i.e. the first rick they make and the numerous fucking idiots / brainless centipedes who go to the match are on their back. Some players get numerous 'lives' off the crowd whereas others don't get have that luxury. Cabaye's been at fault numerous times lately with incidents that could've and did lead to goals for example.

No, I'm not advocating having a go at Cabaye at the match either :razz:

Edited by alex

The difference is that Cabaye has massively contributed to where we are this season and the pluses in his game greatly outweigh any negatives. Obertan has been consistently useless apart from one game when people thought he might have turned the corner. They were wrong. Hiding from team mates should be the last straw and probably would be in any other team. Easy to see why manure were only too happy to get shot of him and delighted to get 3 mill into the bargain.

I nearly mentioned the difference but I thought it was so obvious it didn't need pointing out. Doesn't mean getting on his back is the right thing to do though.

The difference is that Cabaye has massively contributed to where we are this season and the pluses in his game greatly outweigh any negatives. Obertan has been consistently useless apart from one game when people thought he might have turned the corner. They were wrong. Hiding from team mates should be the last straw and probably would be in any other team. Easy to see why manure were only too happy to get shot of him and delighted to get 3 mill into the bargain.

Serenity now!

I nearly mentioned the difference but I thought it was so obvious it didn't need pointing out. Doesn't mean getting on his back is the right thing to do though.

We'll berate some skill into Obertan and Perch if it's the last thing we do.

I apologise, I have black outs whenever the subject of Obertan comes up, he sends me into a frothing rage, so shite is he. I honestly think he would be more suited to women's football. Hopefully if he reads a Newcastle forum it'll be N-O where the 12 year old half-wits will wank themselves silly every time he does a stepover.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I don't get the he's a confidence player stuff and that it being the crowds fault that he's shite. I'm usually the first to have a go at people jumping on a players back (the treatment of Shola is still way ott for me like) but I think he's been left alone pretty much all season as we've been getting results. It's only the last couple of games he's been getting some stick. mainly due to the fact we're told he's shit of a stick yet he refuses to move any faster that a jog. Has he had hamstring problems in the past? I can only think that part of it is that he's shit scared to sprint as he thinks something will ping.