Obertan: Earths' gravity is no match for him.

Park Life

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best game yet from the lightbulb.

More of this please.

Indeed, put in a shift in terms of workrate which is what you need to see, was neat and tidy in his play most of the time and used his pace intelligently with a lovely cross for the goal, keep that up and Marveaux wouldn't deserve to take his place!

Is it just me who thought he was pretty shit today aswell? His decision making was woeful, I counted him jumping up to head and the ball landing somewhere else four times. Apart from the cross his natural pace troubled them cos they were slow players playing a high line.

Is it just me who thought he was pretty shit today aswell? His decision making was woeful, I counted him jumping up to head and the ball landing somewhere else four times. Apart from the cross his natural pace troubled them cos they were slow players playing a high line.

Think its just you.

Guti did a great job defensively. But most of the attacking wing play went throught obertan. He covered loads of ground making himself available. Best attitude he's shown since signing.

To call his performance "pretty shit" is cringe-worthy tbh. Perfectly adequate is how I'd describe it, not going to pretend he was amazing or anything but he was solid and a real outlet.

Comfortable 7/10 performance.

Had an excellent first half, faded a little in the second but then the whole team were under intense pressure from set plays.

If he can keep on turning out this sort of performance then he'll warrant a run in the team for a little while longer tbh.

Had an excellent first half, faded a little disappeared in the second but then the whole team were under intense pressure from set plays.

If he can keep on turning out this sort of performance then he'll warrant a run in the team for a little while longer tbh.

That said his work at chasing down through balls and crossing in the first half was outstanding.

Tonight was the perfect game for him, plenty of opportunities for him to utilise his pace on the counter attack.

If he really wants to become a Premiership winger, he'll need to be able to break teams down when they come to SJP hoping to nick a point.

Think its just you.

Guti did a great job defensively. But most of the attacking wing play went throught obertan. He covered loads of ground making himself available. Best attitude he's shown since signing.

Not just you. I agree that the attacking wing play went through Obertan, but that was because Guti was defending, whereas Obertan still went missing defensively. Don't get me wrong, good cross and good chasing, but I still think the defensive side of his game and the courage to attack the ball when there is someone else within 10 yards is missing. Glass half full, as far as I am concerned

Think its just you.

Not just you. I agree that the attacking wing play went through Obertan, but that was because Guti was defending, whereas Obertan still went missing defensively. Don't get me wrong, good cross and good chasing, but I still think the defensive side of his game and the courage to attack the ball when there is someone else within 10 yards is missing. Glass half full, as far as I am concerned

+1

See Jonny's post above. He was pivotal to our entire gameplan of winning it on the break.

He couldn't be the outlet he was if he was shadowing Simpson all night. Simpson did a grand job himself. Rtaylor needed more assistance from Guti because Pennant is the only Stoke player that can run with the ball. They shackled him well as a pair.

Was nice to see him play with a bit of confidence after the assist for the first goal. Much better performance from him and credit to Pardew for sticking with him.

I think most people are going overboard on obertan's performance. Great cross but apart from running around very fast....which nobody can deny he's like a whippet...he really didn't do a lot more. I think it's the fact that he couldn't get much worse (and still call himself a footballer) that's made some people think he was "excellent" as somebody on here puts it. I do think he was improved on past games but still has along way to go to justify continued selection.

Marveau and Barfa must be scratching their heads wondering how they aren't in the team. Unless of course, they are also shite and Pardew is sparing us. They have to be fit by now and I don't subscribe to the view that you drop your best player....that would be Barfa unless I've been fed a line.....because the other team puts themselves about a bit.

ben arfa isn't known for his tracking back ability. both wide players put in a shift offensively and defensively. thats why they are in the team. i think that his pace causes big problems for other teams but his lack of awareness and inability to pick a decent cross or pass doesn't help him.