England team banned from wearing a poppy!

nufcboy

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of which have nothing to do with the issue though.

Cabayeaye is suggesting that because FIFA aren't budging on their rule, they are acting like Nazis. ( Well, he's not really, he's just regurgitating a line he read on the Sun piece about it. )

Guest CabayeAye

Both of which have nothing to do with the issue though.

Cabayeaye is suggesting that because FIFA aren't budging on their rule, they are acting like Nazis. ( Well, he's not really, he's just regurgitating a line he read on the Sun piece about it. )

1. I don't read the Sun.

2. The Swiss/Nazi thing is a reference to their neutrality during WWII (effectively collaborators by not taking a stand against the gross wrongdoings of the Nazis).

I thought he was implying a (very funny) political connection. There is an important point to be made about the legislature of FIFA and Swiss regulations of international bodies. Its why many of them are located there. Its obviously a daft point about the Nazis but the opaqueness of their processes, their ability to stonewall journalists on key questions etc owes a lot to its location.

My question would be how come this is the first time this has come up? Have we never played an international at this time before? Or have the rules changed?

A minutes silence at the premiership games when remembrance day isn't until Friday. Hmmm.

Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I always buy a poppy, ensure (if practical) that my operating theatre observes the minute if the 11th falls on a weekday, and will observe it again next Sunday. If I'd gone to the Fulham game today I'd have had three silences in a week!

…My question would be how come this is the first time this has come up? Have we never played an international at this time before? Or have the rules changed?

Good point tbh.

Maybe it's just the first time the FA have attempted to put a poppy on the shirts?

…My question would be how come this is the first time this has come up? Have we never played an international at this time before? Or have the rules changed?

Good point tbh.

Maybe it's just the first time the FA have attempted to put a poppy on the shirts?

The cynic in me is waiting for the auction/sale of the special shirts from this weekend - probably with a token donation which of course means it's all okay.

Good point tbh.

It's only this past couple of years that it's been fashionable to wear poppies on club shirts so it's basically just an extension of that. No doubt prompted by some newspaper questioning whether it would happen and the FA not wanting to be seen to be pissing on the graves of dead soldiers.

Fucking disgusting, I don't care about rules, we are a special case surely and a tiny symbolic gesture remembering the 2m brave British people who died to keep everyone in the world free, not just ourselves, should be allowed without even question. Added to that it's our game we should tell FIFA/UEFA to fuck off. We'll do what we want, we'll do what we waaaant, we're fuckin England, we'll do what we want.

So you'd give free reign to any country to remember whatever war they wanted? What if the Germans wanted to remember the dead Nazis? Or the Irish decided to commemorate the death of IRA terrorists? Would that be okay?

The whole thing would open a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened. It's football. Save the remembrance for the cenotaph.

So you'd give free reign to any country to remember whatever war they wanted? What if the Germans wanted to remember the dead Nazis? Or the Irish decided to commemorate the death of IRA terrorists? Would that be okay?

The whole thing would open a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened. It's football. Save the remembrance for the cenotaph.

No just us. As I said we're a special case.

Why's that then?

Why's that then?

Typical comment from an Irishman. Why's that :lol:

Guest CabayeAye

Rememberance day actually acknowledges the dead on both sides. And rightly so as a fair chunk of the dead Germans were non-nazi conscripts, and some weren't even German!

Why's that then?

I'm guessing it's either you single-handedly saved the world from the Nazis, invented the game of football or just that generally without the British colonising half the world we'd all still be living like cavemen.

Or possibly all three.

Why's that then?

I'm guessing it's either you single-handedly saved the world from the Nazis, invented the game of football or just that generally without the British colonising half the world we'd all still be living like cavemen.

Or possibly all three.

Aye. With the first one being the fundamental one.

Or possibly all three.

I know I don't have to tell you about the numbers of who lost the most lives in WW2.

Rememberance day actually acknowledges the dead on both sides. And rightly so as a fair chunk of the dead Germans were non-nazi conscripts, and some weren't even German!

I understand that but isn't the poppy worn to remember just British soldiers?

FTR I've no problem with the poppy in general.

Why's that then?

Or possibly all three.

The Russians did more than us tbf.