England team banned from wearing a poppy!

nufcboy

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a simple mark of respect and the fact that not wearing a poppy seems, to some, to be a sort of badge of honour, is just really fucking sad.

I am fortunate that I have all the letters sent home from Flanders by my great uncle, he was swept up in the "Your Country Needs You" crap and his first letters are all "Off to bash the Hun, be back by teatime", "Can't wait until Charlie gets here" (My grandfather - joined up at 14yrs old) then the letters change once he's at the front, from descriptions of looking for survivors/collecting the dead from a shelled village to just general stuff about life there, eventually the letters turn to cards with multiple choice statements (cross out which is not applicable) his last card was "I am fine".He was killed, 2 days later, on 26th September 1915 at the Battle of Loos and has no known grave.

Later letters from his comrades state he was variously shot through the head or heart (depending on the letter) and died instantly in no pain, truth is, who knows.

(on my Grandfather, when Gordon and his elder brother - died of wounds, were killed my great grandmother coughed his age to the Army and he was discharged, they knew he was way under age (we have pictures of him with his unit - he's a child amongst men) but until it was "officially" reported they ignored it.

I wear my poppy for them and those like them (especially the 14 year olds who weren't pulled out).

Guest CabayeAye

It's a simple mark of respect and the fact that not wearing a poppy seems, to some, to be a sort of badge of honour, is just really fucking sad.

I am fortunate that I have all the letters sent home from Flanders by my great uncle, he was swept up in the "Your Country Needs You" crap and his first letters are all "Off to bash the Hun, be back by teatime", "Can't wait until Charlie gets here" (My grandfather - joined up at 14yrs old) then the letters change once he's at the front, from descriptions of looking for survivors/collecting the dead from a shelled village to just general stuff about life there, eventually the letters turn to cards with multiple choice statements (cross out which is not applicable) his last card was "I am fine".He was killed, 2 days later, on 26th September 1915 at the Battle of Loos and has no known grave.

Later letters from his comrades state he was variously shot through the head or heart (depending on the letter) and died instantly in no pain, truth is, who knows.

(on my Grandfather, when Gordon and his elder brother - died of wounds, were killed my great grandmother coughed his age to the Army and he was discharged, they knew he was way under age (we have pictures of him with his unit - he's a child amongst men) but until it was "officially" reported they ignored it.

I wear my poppy for them and those like them (especially the 14 year olds who weren't pulled out).

It's such a shame that some cunts these days don't appreciate the sacrifice that was made at the time. I can only imagine how disgusted they'd be if they saw the society of today that they were fighting for, with pricks revelling in slagging off the poppy appeal.

Recently been doing some family history, and found out my Great Uncle was a Petty Officer on the HMS Acasta. It was sunk in the Battle of Jutland in 1940, with the loss of all hands bar one survivor. Turns out that the vast majority of crew had time to escape, but due to a communication cock up, they were never picked up and drowned. He was one of them.

Also Mrs. Fist's Great & Great-Great Grrandfathers both fought in WW1. Her Great Grandfather was shot in the neck, and survived. We have a photo of him in Dunston Hospital.

His father was killed on the first day of the Somme. It appears he volunteered, and was killed, at the age of 60!

My maternal Grandfather also served in France & Belguim WW2, as a despatch rider. He used to love telling about how he held the Units record of losing 5 bikes in a week to enemy fire!

Getting thoroughly tired of the poppy fascism in this country tbh, but it's still a bit of a petty thing for FIFA to do if true.

Prick

Let's be honest though, the poppy means absolutely fuck-all once the likes of sports teams feel compelled to have it incorporated into their shirts as standard "because that's just what you do". What's the point of it if you're basically discouraged from actually thinking about what it stands for and what your attitude towards it is? It ends up being just another logo on a bit of corporate kit, and that's not right.

No, you're just being a prick. Calling it fascism is grotesquely offensive to the veterans who gave their lives for YOU.

It's really not. But they fought for my right to be a prick too, so hey, it's all good.

It's also for current operations as well, not just the wars of the past

It's such a shame that some cunts these days don't appreciate the sacrifice that was made at the time. I can only imagine how disgusted they'd be if they saw the society of today that they were fighting for, with pricks revelling in slagging off the poppy appeal.

No-one's done that. It's poppy appeal advocates slagging off FIFA for a non-poppy-specific rule that's been in place for years....and revelling in it.

i think the banning of poppys is disrespectful if you ask me this shows how horrible fifa are

poppys aren't banned. Every fan can wear them, as can everyone on the bench and every player before and after the match and every presenter providing coverage. If the point is to raise awareness and funding for the British Legion then the job will be done very effectively.

Guest CabayeAye

There is absolutley no reason whatsoever why they can't change their own rule to allow small non-commercial emblems such as the poppy for one game a year. At best, it shows a huge lack of common sense from FIFA and at worst shows their loyalty to the Nazis due to their Swiss roots.

There is absolutley no reason whatsoever why they can't change their own rule to allow small non-commercial emblems such as the poppy for one game a year. At best, it shows a huge lack of common sense from FIFA and at worst shows their loyalty to the Nazis due to their Swiss roots.

:lol:

why isn't there a poppy in the toontastic banner? I can only assume that Ant/PP must be a Muslim al Qaeda suicide bomber Nazi. Disgraceful.

Guest CabayeAye

:lol:

why isn't there a poppy in the toontastic banner? I can only assume that Ant/PP must be a Muslim al Qaeda suicide bomber Nazi. Disgraceful.

The point is that if TT wanted to, they could do it. England wanted to do it but were actively stopped by FIFA. FIFA are actively being anti-poppy.

Guest CabayeAye

No they're not? they're being anti all emblems, which is fair enough.

It's basically a way of stopping the floodgates opening, which is fair enough.

But why would you be anti-emblems? As long as they are tasteful i.e. not racist or partizan then it shouldn't be an issue.

Guest CabayeAye

How about just saying charities are fine, but that's it?

As someone said, it's like black armbands. What if the Iranian team played the US wearing armbands for Bin Laden, or Ireland wore black armbands for Gadaffi when playing England?

Guest CabayeAye

Charities for what?

I want to put a stem cell research charity emblem on my jersey is that ok? many people wouldn't agree.

it's nothing like black armbands though, because people can lie about what they're for, you can't lie about a an emblem.

Stem cell research is all good though, so I'd be fine with that. If you disagree with it, then you're just a brainless cock.

Charities for what?

I want to put a stem cell research charity emblem on my jersey is that ok? many people wouldn't agree.

it's nothing like black armbands though, because people can lie about what they're for, you can't lie about a an emblem.

Stem cell research is all good though, so I'd be fine with that. If you disagree with it, then you're just a brainless cock.

You're not doing yourself any favours by hurling abuse at anybody that disagrees with you.

How about just saying charities are fine, but that's it?

As someone said, it's like black armbands. What if the Iranian team played the US wearing armbands for Bin Laden, or Ireland wore black armbands for Gadaffi when playing England?

Your final sentence is hilarious. You should do stand-up.

Guest CabayeAye

Charities for what?

You're not doing yourself any favours by hurling abuse at anybody that disagrees with you.

I'm hoping he means if you disagree with stem cell research rather than the "disagree with emblem" bit

Johnny, Ant, you're both correct. I apologise for slamming out too many insults. I am getting too emotional about this. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, whether they are right or wrong.

FIFA was formed in Paris in 1904, long before the Nazi Party existed, and Paris is not in Switzwerland.

Brainless Cock.

Guest CabayeAye

FIFA was formed in Paris in 1904, long before the Nazi Party existed, and Paris is not in Switzwerland.

Brainless Cock.

Where is their President from, you lovely chap?