England team banned from wearing a poppy!

nufcboy

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the poppies honour the memory of soldiers that have died on duty since World War I? I.e. not only during World War II but also for example during the war in Iraq.

I thought poppy's were a fundraising initiative by the British Legion. I reckon a lot of the most outspoken critics of these sort of things like Fifa, Jon Snow etc. don't even reach the £3 suggested donation themselves, they'll stick 50p in the box and be ever so pompous about what it means to wear the poppy with pride. But I've got more time for someone who actually donates a tenner without wearing a poppy than for a footballer or news presenter that pops one on as it's handed to them free of charge in the studio.

So you'd give free reign to any country to remember whatever war they wanted? What if the Germans wanted to remember the dead Nazis? Or the Irish decided to commemorate the death of IRA terrorists? Would that be okay?

The whole thing would open a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened. It's football. Save the remembrance for the cenotaph.

No just us. As I said we're a special case.

Why's that then?

Typical comment from an Irishman. Why's that :lol:

I'm guessing it's either you single-handedly saved the world from the Nazis, invented the game of football or just that generally without the British colonising half the world we'd all still be living like cavemen.

Or possibly all three.

Aye. With the first one being the fundamental one.

The Russians did more than us tbf.

The Russians didn't come in to the war till after we'd been fighting alone for two years, but granted in terms of combat fighting they did a lot more, and lost a lot more. 20m iirc, and more than half of those were civilians.

Maybe Team USA could wear a poppy on their shirts too, but only for the second half of the game.

Would be better having a crashed helicopter in Vietnam embroided and a mushroom cloud.

Maybe Team USA could wear a poppy on their shirts too, but only for the second half of the game.

:icon_lol:

Italy could wear one for the last 5 minutes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the poppies honour the memory of soldiers that have died on duty since World War I? I.e. not only during World War II but also for example during the war in Iraq.

I thought poppy's were a fundraising initiative by the British Legion. I reckon a lot of the most outspoken critics of these sort of things like Fifa, Jon Snow etc. don't even reach the £3 suggested donation themselves, they'll stick 50p in the box and be ever so pompous about what it means to wear the poppy with pride. But I've got more time for someone who actually donates a tenner without wearing a poppy than for a footballer or news presenter that pops one on as it's handed to them free of charge in the studio.

Yeah well, what I mean is that the poppys aren't earmarked for WW2, reading this thread you could be lead to believe that (a lot of Nazi talk) but they also cover for example a war which a large part of the world

population, not only the islamic world, considered to be a crime against international law. FIFA is a worldwide non-political organisation and the anti-emblem stance is the natural one.

Shite England squad again.

NUFC 3rd yet the likes of Staylor, Rtaylor, Guthrie and Simpson don't get a look in, whilst the likes of Cahill, Lescott, Jagielka, Rodwell and Walker get a call up, Cahill has been hopeless this season.

Our backup keepers play for Ipswich and Bursapor too :lol:

NUFC 3rd yet the likes of Staylor, Rtaylor, Guthrie and Simpson don't get a look in, whilst the likes of Cahill, Lescott, Jagielka, Rodwell and Walker get a call up, Cahill has been hopeless this season.

Rodwell is the only one who shouldn't of those names.

Cahill is well out of form and walker isn't as good as Simpson never mind micah richards

You're right.

The Mail is a fucking disgrace.

is that a standard response, sarcasm, or are you saying this is all just made up or something, because its the Daily Mail ?

A sensible reply would be appreciated - for a change.

Edited by LeazesMag

Cahill is well out of form and walker isn't as good as Simpson never mind micah richards

You must be joking?

Can't quite believe that a team with the best defensive record in the PL with a defence in which 3/5 are English still don't have anyone in the national side.

said when Steven Taylor was 17 he would play for England, unfortunately his finger pointing is holding him back :glare:

Can't quite believe that a team with the best defensive record in the PL with a defence in which 3/5 are English still don't have anyone in the national side.

said when Steven Taylor was 17 he would play for England, unfortunately his finger pointing is holding him back :glare:

Aye, that and his defending.

FIFA is a Worldwide governing body and this rule is in there for a reason. No exceptions, sorry that's the rules etc. But it isn't fair? I'm sure any nation could say that and twist it. The National shirt should have fuck all on it in my opinion bar the Country's crest. I don't think they're being anti-anybody, just saving potential hassle and it's far easier to just put a blanket ban on any emblems, good or bad.

I honestly think it's just the Daily Mail being outraged on behalf of Their Non-benefit claiming, tax paying readership. I doubt FIFA will be bothered if the players and Staff all wear a Poppy on their suits before and after the match, Is there any rule in place to stop Capello or any players wearing one in the press conference they'll give a day before the match? Much ado about nothing.

FIFA is a Worldwide governing body and this rule is in there for a reason. No exceptions, sorry that's the rules etc. But it isn't fair? I'm sure any nation could say that and twist it. The National shirt should have fuck all on it in my opinion bar the Country's crest. I don't think they're being anti-anybody, just saving potential hassle and it's far easier to just put a blanket ban on any emblems, good or bad.

I honestly think it's just the Daily Mail being outraged on behalf of Their Non-benefit claiming, tax paying readership. I doubt FIFA will be bothered if the players and Staff all wear a Poppy on their suits before and after the match, Is there any rule in place to stop Capello or any players wearing one in the press conference they'll give a day before the match? Much ado about nothing.

nope nothing, they rule is limited to changes to the kit such as an embroidered poppy

no reason our lads couldn't wear the regular paper ones on their "anthem jackets" and the subs/staff have them on either

It's the Mail, man. They must've had a day off from their normal 'immigrants/workshy/scroungers/benefits culture' investigations.

well they did at least manage a "swiss people are nazis" dig for no reason and completely unrelated to anything else

I honestly think it's just the Daily Mail being outraged on behalf of Their Non-benefit claiming, tax paying readership.

No-one at the daily mail is outraged one iota.

They play their readers like Talksport fuck their listeners in the rage hole in their ear.