This car crash

Kid Dynamite

Police now talking about accountability and the witch hunt has begun. Whoever organised that fireworks display is in for a long court case.

Surely they can't be expected to take into account wind speed and direction of smoke on the offchance it may mix with fog a quarter mile down the road.

It's seems like nothing is allowed to be an accident these days. Always got to be someone sacked or in jail for people to be happy

Aye, exactly, even if the smoke was a factor it doesn't mean people were necessarily driving safely in the first place. You hardly see anyone observing recommended stopping distances on motorways even at the best of times because they seem overly long at that speed.

As we live down this way and travel that very bit of Motorway regularly, I'd say it was more than likely caused by a combination of sudden fog/mist and someone joining the M5 off the slip road being hit by oncoming traffic. Its a dangerous slip road that. I thank god we werent involved, that is the time on Friday evenings we would be there on our way to a race meeting.

My thoughts are with those poor people involved. My only surprise is that this doesnt happen more often.

As we live down this way and travel that very bit of Motorway regularly, I'd say it was more than likely caused by a combination of sudden fog/mist and someone joining the M5 off the slip road being hit by oncoming traffic. Its a dangerous slip road that. I thank god we werent involved, that is the time on Friday evenings we would be there on our way to a race meeting.

My thoughts are with those poor people involved. My only surprise is that this doesnt happen more often.

Im guessing its the same slip road I was involved in an accident at about 12 year ago.

We were travelling back from Torquay and ahead of us a bus pulled out of the slip road, cars in front swerved and braked. I managed to slam the brakes on and move from fast lane into middle, car behind me wasnt so lucky and hit him. There was then this weird 30 seconds or so as cars were piling into each other, when it all quietened down I got out and we were literally the only vehicle of about 20 that was unscathed.

Im guessing its the same slip road I was involved in an accident at about 12 year ago.

We were travelling back from Torquay and ahead of us a bus pulled out of the slip road, cars in front swerved and braked. I managed to slam the brakes on and move from fast lane into middle, car behind me wasnt so lucky and hit him. There was then this weird 30 seconds or so as cars were piling into each other, when it all quietened down I got out and we were literally the only vehicle of about 20 that was unscathed.

Yep, sounds like a similar thing...thank goodness you were ok.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of J69's last paragraph.

I guess with an accident of such magnitude an investigation of why/how it happened is necessary but blaming a fireworks display is absurd.

RIP to those involved of course,, such a horrific way to go.

Debating this on 5Live at the moment. RIP The people involved.

Far too many people in this country are going to fast on the roads in this country to gain 1min here, 5 seconds there. Slow down! One guy on the radio said "well its not the speeding, its because you couldnt see" Clueless.

Police now talking about accountability and the witch hunt has begun. Whoever organised that fireworks display is in for a long court case.

Surely they can't be expected to take into account wind speed and direction of smoke on the offchance it may mix with fog a quarter mile down the road.

It's seems like nothing is allowed to be an accident these days. Always got to be someone sacked or in jail for people to be happy

Aye, you're spot on there like :(

Maybe I've picked this up wrong but I don't see what the problem is in establishing the cause of the accident.

The police explicitly talked about 'accountability'. It's not just about what caused the crash, it's making sure it's someones fault that I have issue with.

Maybe I've picked this up wrong but I don't see what the problem is in establishing the cause of the accident.

The police explicitly talked about 'accountability'. It's not just about what caused the crash, it's making sure it's someones fault that I have issue with.

But what if it was someone's fault? I don't know if it was a massive unlicensed fireworks party that should never have been held near to a public highway or whether they have received all the necessary clearance and taken all reasonable precautions.

No one wants to see a witch hunt and I'm sure that no one could have forseen the trouble this display would cause but if there are lessons to be learned to prevent such a tragedy happening again then I think it's important that a proper investigation is carried out.

But what if it was someone's fault? I don't know if it was a massive unlicensed fireworks party that should never have been held near to a public highway or whether they have received all the necessary clearance and taken all reasonable precautions.

No one wants to see a witch hunt and I'm sure that no one could have forseen the trouble this display would cause but if there are lessons to be learned to prevent such a tragedy happening again then I think it's important that a proper investigation is carried out.

It not a witch hunt, but from the following link :-

http://www.dailymail...ists-fault.html

quote :-

"No arrests have been made in connection with the disaster and it is unclear what possible charges could be brought against the fireworks organiser if they were deemed to be responsible.

They could face charges of breaching health and safety regulations or negligence if it was deemed safety checks were not carried out properly. "

From working in the farm industry, I know that there are few 'vague' rules regarding fires etc, and one is along the lines of :-

'It is an offence to light a fire etc, whereby the smoke (output) could cross a carriageway and cause visual restrictions'.

This isn't the full text so don't quote me on it, but it basically stops farmer from burning rubbish in a field near a road etc, but is applicable to all people no matter what they do, and if the conditions change then the fire etc should be put out.

Edited by south_cheshire_toon

Well it seems like common sense to me not to have a fire / fireworks display near to a public highway, however, if they'd been given permission from the relevant authority to have the display near the road then it's not really the organiser's fault.

Accountability?

Of course, none of the vehicles were travelling over the speed limit.

agreed, and increasing the limit to 80mph is a mistake too

I don't necessarily have an issue with that- braking efficiency on cars has improved , I'd guess, since the stopping distance figures were calculated.

What I would say is that people disregard variable speed limits when they're imposed for adverse weather conditions. Countless times I've been on the motorways in awful driving conditions, and had arseholes tailgating me or zooming past at 70mph+ when you can barely see 50yds ahead.

You need at least 2 seconds between you and the car in front at motorway speeds. The majority of drivers speed, in certain instances it's not particularly dangerous (there are long stretches of wide straight road near me with no pedestrians, it's a 30, everyone does 40), but in poor weather conditions and at higher speeds some fool will cause an accident with reckless driving.