Carroll`s career so far in Liverpool

Lake Bells tits

Nothing wrong with having the ability/staff to apply different approaches in attack.

This would be a massive boost to the squad imo. And it would be great to get him back, especially if he is motivated by it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems a strange decision by Liverpool when he had just started to find his feet. Great performances in the cup final, in the 4-1 win over Chelsea and in his only 90 minutes for England at the Euros.

I'd have him back in a second...despite calling him worse than muck when he left & ripping the piss when he came back to play.

you can't have enough good players, what a load of rubbish. Would you rather have Carroll, Ameobi, Lovenkrands or Best ?

I wonder how many other fools are taking the same line as you ie "better than when we had him". It's irrelevant, the point is that any good player adds to the team and he would get lots of games, no doubt at all.

Firstly, do you disagree that our forward line is now stronger than when we sold Carroll?

Secondly, of course you can never have enough good players. I would like to see us prioritise other positions. And I also have doubts whether Carroll would fit into our way of playing anymore. Tell me what's wrong with that? How do you see Carroll playing if he comes back?

Edited by ewerk

Seems a strange decision by Liverpool when he had just started to be finding his feet. Great performances in the cup final, in the 4-1 win over Chelsea and in his only 90 minutes for England at the Euros.

I'd have him back in a second...despite calling him worse than muck when he left & ripping the piss when he came back to play.

Even stranger when you consider that Rodgers hasn't even seen him in training yet.

fucking shedloads of them came from barton pinging in crosses from wide right as far as i can remember. he feeds off that kind of service.

Thing is, Barton's not a winger (more a right-sided midfielder) and Jonas lacks end product. In any case we've still got Jonas and we now have a more conventional winger playing on the right instead of Barton in the shape of Ben Arfa. So I don't really agree we haven't got the type of wingers to suit Carroll, or rather that we had them when he was here.

I couldn't remember loads of goals being scored in the way you describe (i.e. a cross pinged in) so I had a check and only one of Carroll's goals in 2010/11 for us came about that way (against West Ham away). Barton was involved in a few others that Carroll scored but they were all either free-kicks or corners (5 of them). I haven't checked the season in the Championship but Barton didn't play much anyway.

I think it was more about the team being set-up to play to Carroll's strengths with Barton in particular looking to him at set-pieces and Nolan looking to pick up any pieces, like J69 says. Even if he wasn't the focal point to the same extent though I think we have the team to play with him (set pieces and crosses and passes from Cabaye and Ben Arfa especially). It would give us a different option too.

I don't really see this move coming off though for a number of reasons. I hope I'm wrong like as I still think he could be a great player.

sadly for you , Armchair Pundit is one of the best football posters on here who has also clearly seen more of the real world than an overgrown student barely out of college, sitting in an ivory tower who thinks we can negotiate political issues with people who are little more than cavemen who hack peoples heads off for nothing, and blowing up innocent people in shopping centres, planes and buses, telling them they are naughty little boys and smacking their wrists to teach them a lesson. The prosecution rests.

I suppose in the same way you thought Fop was spot on in General Chat :lol: Honestly, show me a couple of insightful posts from Alf Garnett/Armchair Pundit about football. Actually, don't.

Edited by alex

Nothing wrong with having the ability/staff to apply different approaches in attack.

This would be a massive boost to the squad imo.

This for me. If we are after another decent striker for the squad then fine. However like most I would hate it to mean the exit for Ba or Cisse or a change towards a different style of play.

While he certainly has potential he isnt as great as some are making out and I doubt he would have put away half the chances that Ba did last season.

Thing is, Barton's not a winger (more a right-sided midfielder) and Jonas lacks end product. In any case we've still got Jonas and we now have a more conventional winger playing on the right instead of Barton in the shape of Ben Arfa. So I don't really agree we haven't got the type of wingers to suit Carroll, or rather that we had them when he was here.

I couldn't remember loads of goals being scored in the way you describe (i.e. a cross pinged in) so I had a check and only one of Carroll's goals in 2010/11 for us came about that way (against West Ham away). Barton was involved in a few others that Carroll scored but they were all either free-kicks or corners (5 of them). I haven't checked the season in the Championship but Barton didn't play much anyway.

I think it was more about the team being set-up to play to Carroll's strengths with Barton in particular looking to him at set-pieces and Nolan looking to pick up any pieces, like J69 says. Even if he wasn't the focal point to the same extent though I think we have the team to play with him (set pieces and crosses and passes from Cabaye and Ben Arfa especially). It would give us a different option too.

I don't really see this move coming off though for a number of reasons. I hope I'm wrong like as I still think he could be a great player.

5 of the 11 goals in this video from the half season before he was sold to liverpool came from barton deliveries - either corners, set pieces, or but in from wide and deep areas -

i was wrong in that they weren't all from wide right but they were from the type of delivery you don't see ben arfa putting in too often.

i agree with what you're saying. i'd like to see him back too. i still think he's a good player when used correctly. but there's definitely been a big change in our style of play since he was sold and it's got us better results than when carroll was here. i think he might struggle in our current system as he has at liverpool, particularly if we stick with 4-3-3.

i don't know. could be a nice problem to have and he's definitely a good option coming off the bench. not sure he'd be up for swapping liverpool's bench for ours, or that the deal is realistic. massively taking the piss out of liverpool if it does happen. which is always nice.

5 of the 11 goals in this video from the half season before he was sold to liverpool came from barton deliveries - either corners, set pieces, or but in from wide and deep areas - [media=]

[/media]

i was wrong in that they weren't all from wide right but they were from the type of delivery you don't see ben arfa putting in too often.

i agree with what you're saying. i'd like to see him back too. i still think he's a good player when used correctly. but there's definitely been a big change in our style of play since he was sold and it's got us better results than when carroll was here. i think he might struggle in our current system as he has at liverpool, particularly if we stick with 4-3-3.

i don't know. could be a nice problem to have and he's definitely a good option coming off the bench. not sure he'd be up for swapping liverpool's bench for ours, or that the deal is realistic. massively taking the piss out of liverpool if it does happen. which is always nice.

I think we'd be looking to start him if we signed him. There's no way we'll pay those sort of wages for a reserve (even if Carroll takes a pay cut). I also suspect Ba is away and he's probably his (potential) replacement, along with the likes of De Jong.

so what do you reckon. re-sign him and go back to 442?

i reckon he'd work well with cisse as a front two pair but arguably the rest of the team would be weakened because you'd have to lose a central midfielder.

cabaye looked much better when he had tiote and jonas in the middle alongside him in a 433 then when it was just him and tiote in A 442. he could support the front three a bit more. ben arfa looked better in that system too.

could you move carroll to the central striker position and move cisse out wide after he did so well in the middle of the front 3 last season?

i don't know.

like you said though, it's unlikely to come off.

Edited by Dr Gloom

so what do you reckon. re-sign him and go back to 442?

i reckon he'd work well with cisse but arguably the west of the team woudl be weakened because you'd have to lose a central midfielder.

cabaye looked much better when he had tiote and jonas in the middle and he could support the front three a bit more. ben arfa looked better in that system too.

could you move carroll to the centrl striker position and move cisse out wide after he did so well in the middle of the front 3 last season?

i don't know.

like you said though, it's unlikely to come off.

I don't know really. Perhaps stick with the lopsided 4-3-3 (slightly different though) or play HBA behind the front two in a 4-3-1-2. I haven't really thought about it, I just can't see him being signed to sit on the bench / as cover for the ACN as I reckon we'll be looking at £50k a week in wages. Tbh, I'm not that arsed since we'll only go for him if the deal's right (i.e. not too expensive) and if it doesn't happen I'm reasonably confident we'll get someone else in who Carr has scouted. I suppose a lot rests on how Carroll would feel about coming back.

The first choice front players we have looked awfully remote in a lot of games (particularly away) last season. We all love their confidence in front of goal and their conversion rate, but often Shola would have to come on and would look like Shearer in comparison, winning headers and battling to hold up play.

Carroll is much better than either of the first choice players we have at that, and I think would be used more to alleviate the "backs to the wall" situation we often found ourselves in, and coped admirably under.

Whether we sign Carroll or not, tell me if you think I'm deluded, but I think that we'll go in to next season with a better first eleven than Liverpool almost regardless what happens.

The first choice front players we have looked awfully remote in a lot of games (particularly away) last season. We all love their confidence in front of goal and their conversion rate, but often Shola would have to come on and would look like Shearer in comparison, winning headers and battling to hold up play.

Carroll is much better than either of the first choice players we have at that, and I think would be used more to alleviate the "backs to the wall" situation we often found ourselves in, and coped admirably under.

Plus it's not like having a target man means you can't play good possession football. To tie in with your point, it often helps, as long as you don't resort to hoofing it too often.

:lol: I thought you wernt bothered about being right!!!!!!

I should've been a taxi driver because I'm ALWAYS right! ;-)

I'm excited about next season though, we've got a player in every position now who you'd be proud of wearing a Newcastle shirt, like genuinely. I honestly believe Santon for example will go on to be one of the best defenders in our history, he's got everything and he's a kid. I think they saw clubs like PSV Eindhoven, Ajax and Valenica and thought how do we make more money than them, yet they get to Champions League Semi Finals. It's rare any of them sign 28 year olds for £18m. It's like a blueprint, and as much as I'll always hate them, it's more than working at the minute the policy.

5 of the 11 goals in this video from the half season before he was sold to liverpool came from barton deliveries - either corners, set pieces, or but in from wide and deep areas -

The thing with a lot of Barton's assists is that they were not so much great balls but more Carroll made the most of them with his ability, like Arsenal away for example. I think Barton only managed 2 assists after Carroll left too so he was hardly spectacular at dead balls, no better than Cabaye anyway.

Also to.add what Alex said about the wide men, we have to remember that we are likely to have 2 new fullbacks to what Carroll played with before when he was here and going off the Euro's Debuchy looks to have a lot more going forward than Simpson.

If we can get a good deal then its well worth it as he's a good player - don't forget as it stands we have two good strikers (leaving doubts about Ba aside) and Shola.