Newcastle v Everton match thread (+ as a bonus , the Tim Krul! Thread)

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20m bid from Chelsea expected at end of season.

According to the Mail and the Mirror, those bastions of the truth who don't ever make up rumours.

sportsmail reporter?

Cech's done well for them recently. I know AVB had him earmarked as one of the players he wanted rid of, but Cech isn't actually that old and they have that Matej Delac lad in reserve who is thought of highly. Would £20m be a good enough offer? I think we'd sell tbh.

Cech's done well for them recently. I know AVB had him earmarked as one of the players he wanted rid of, but Cech isn't actually that old and they have that Matej Delac lad in reserve who is thought of highly. Would £20m be a good enough offer? I think we'd sell tbh.

COURTOIS.

COURTOIS.

Ha ha, I'll take your word for it

Guest CabayeAye

I reckon we'd never get a keeper as good as Krul, no matter how much we spent to replace him, and Krul is probably worth 10 points on his own with match winning saves. It would be lunacy to sell him!

Carroll was different because good strikers are fairly abundant (we now have 3 top, top forwards), but quality keepers seem hard to come by these days. Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd would snap our hands off if we offered to replace their keepers with Krul.

Selling Carroll was a huge gamble....we were nowhere near safe and all we had was Best and Shola. It was also one that's paid off handsomely, but I think Krul, Tiote and Ba will all be sold this summer. This is the world we now inhabit at NUFC. Get them in cheap, sell them on for millions. Fair play, this season has been great but there's no point feeling in any way perplexed or resentful when perhaps 3 of our best players leave. This is where we are and what we do as a club. Lets see how selling that many players and bedding in their replacements plans out with 8 extra games before Christmas.

I'm not sad, far from it. I'm just pointing out that if we're now all on board Mike's happy bus then I don't think there's too much room for criticism next season should it not go as well as this one.

No, I for one will judge each season on its own merits.

If we sell players in the summer, don't adequately replace them and have a disappointing season then I'll absolutely criticise those concerned. I want to see an attempt at progression. Even if things don't work out, I want to feel that the club at least tried. We could spend big money on big name players and all would be rosy during the window but for all we know they might not do well.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

For the money Krul will cost, who is going to buy him?

The only "top" team in the league who will need a new keeper is Spurs, and I can't see them spending that sort of money on a keeper.

I'm certainly not suggesting a return to buying players who can't get a game at champions league clubs, I understand and largely agree with the clubs policy on transfers. As we stand now its impossible not to. I also however feel we also need a bit of a reality check. Selling your best players is a tricky policy to sell to supporters. After the events of the last 18months its a lot easier to sell it to supporters of NUFC than virtually any other set in the country. We'll see. I just don't think the financial rewards of the Europa league are enough to compensate what the extra games may do to the league campaign. Coupled with some very important players being likely to leave, for me its going to be difficult to build on this seasons acheivements.

I think Krul would be one of the hardest to replace. While I'd not like to see Tiote go, I'd be interested to see who came back in. With Krul, I'd struggle to be positive if he went.

My whole problem with the sell and reinvest policy is you can't keep signing well and eventually we'd come unstuck.

We gambled on Ba and struck gold. We splashed out on a certain thing and went all in on Owen and it back fired leaving us skint.

Who knows what will happen in the summer. I'm convinced we will sell one main player though.

I think Krul would be one of the hardest to replace. While I'd not like to see Tiote go, I'd be interested to see who came back in. With Krul, I'd struggle to be positive if he went.

My whole problem with the sell and reinvest policy is you can't keep signing well and eventually we'd come unstuck.

We gambled on Ba and struck gold. We splashed out on a certain thing and went all in on Owen and it back fired leaving us skint.

Who knows what will happen in the summer. I'm convinced we will sell one main player though.

Think Ba and Tiote are replaceable.

I do aye. Not easily mind, but I think it would be easier to replace Tiote with a like for like than it would be Krul.

I want to keep all our best players but i think of the big saleable assets, Tiote would be the one we could replace best with a bit of luck. Krul is heading into the bracket of the very best keepers out there and that is worth so many points and i don't think we could attract another keeper of that calibre ahead of proven CL clubs etc. so losing Krul is pretty much top of the list to avoid for me.

Also i don't think replacing BA will be easy at all as some people think, if we remember quite how amazing he's been this season and carried most of our goal threat on his own for some time. With the clause we wouldn't get big money for him and we'd be very lucky to get somebody close to him without a seriously big spend.

Guest CabayeAye

Ba and Tioté are very replaceable, Krul isn't.

Don't think we'll see any of them go though unless we get a ridiculous offer.

Paddocklad - are you Leazesmag in disguise?

All I'm saying is next season will be a lot tougher than this one. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing who comes and goes and how Pardew will set about his first European campaign. But looking at how other clubs have faired in the league who have also had to play in the EL in the last few years doesn't fill me with too much hope. Qualifying for it then not being able to give it a decent bash and throwing in the towel is utterly pointless too. I just don't think the squad will be strong enough. Where would we be in the league now if we'd bought a quality centre back in January? 4th might well be ours for the taking. Its this attitude that makes me a bit dispondant about what might be coming up for us. Ok, no one takes the piss out of big Mike, but at what cost to the squad. There was a lot of stick for him on here for that on Feb 1st or do people's memories only go back as far as HBA's goal last Monday?

All I'm saying is next season will be a lot tougher than this one. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing who comes and goes and how Pardew will set about his first European campaign. But looking at how other clubs have faired in the league who have also had to play in the EL in the last few years doesn't fill me with too much hope. Qualifying for it then not being able to give it a decent bash and throwing in the towel is utterly pointless too. I just don't think the squad will be strong enough. Where would we be in the league now if we'd bought a quality centre back in January? 4th might well be ours for the taking. Its this attitude that makes me a bit dispondant about what might be coming up for us. Ok, no one takes the piss out of big Mike, but at what cost to the squad. There was a lot of stick for him on here for that on Feb 1st or do people's memories only go back as far as HBA's goal last Monday?

Need a balanced squad and an evening out of ability in the first 15/16.

Which quality Cb's were available in January ??? Personally, I'd rather wait for the right one (a'la Cisse) than buy a player just for the sake of it.

Need a balanced squad and an evening out of ability in the first 15/16.

If you are going to increase the quality of the squad, you have to have the games to keep them happy, good players just won't sit, hence you need Europe.