Newcastle v Everton match thread (+ as a bonus , the Tim Krul! Thread)

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kicking is something that can easily be recitified if you have good technique. Which he does.

Given used to have a shovel foot but still sorted his out after really bad period of kicking which knocked his confidence around 98-99

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You think Krul was at fault for West Brom's goal?

Stats like this for keepers are absolute bollocks. I don't think some of the goal we've shipped have been mainly down to the keeper - he's playing in front of a defence that's constantly changing and not our strongest.

If the defence does their job properly, the ball shouldn't even reach the keeper.

I think he's immense and hope to the Spaghetti Monster he stays. The fuck up with Williamson yesterday wasn't his fault, but it was the second time in minutes he came out to collect the ball but didn't shout, having been praised for his command of the area in this thread that was disappointing to see.

There's been talk of him being up there with the best keepers in the league and commanding a fee in line with that. He'll have a lot more shots at him than the other keepers in the top 6, so it's much more difficult for him to keep his percentage of saves up, let alone his minutes per goal conceded. Just thought they were interesting charts.

Edited by Happy Face

williamson was looking right at him, did he need to shout?

obviously it cant have hurt but he's still only 23, hes not an old experienced pro

williamson was looking right at him, did he need to shout?

obviously it cant have hurt but he's still only 23, hes not an old experienced pro

If Krul had shouted and then not claimed it - then the goal would have been his fault.

Fact is Willo would have seen him coming yet inexplicably made the appalling decision to nod it beyond him and straight to Long for the tap in. His fault entirely. If he hadn't heard Krul call for it, he should've hoofed it anywhere.

The stats don't show the important/brilliant saves that Krul has made for us. I can't think of many specific examples this season where we've conceded directly from Krul not saving a goal he should've.

How was it? Williamson did the only thing he couldve to make that a goal. If he'd either left it or smashed it no problem

No one at fault but him

Krul should've shouted, but I cannot see how Willo failed to see him storming out. Daft decision to head it past him. Stats about goals conceded don't tell the whole story - I can barely think of any mistakes Krul has made and he's certainly made some fantastic saves this season to keep us in it.

Was Krul imo. He can see everything from where he is. He should have stormed in, sent williamson flying and claimed that ball. Basic stuff. As a kid when in goal you would always shout "Keepers ball" etc. Williamson, for all I think he is sub-standard, had little awareness of what the full picture was, unlike Krul.

How was it? Williamson did the only thing he couldve to make that a goal. If he'd either left it or smashed it no problem

No one at fault but him

The ball was clearly bouncing into the box - Krul should have yelled for that at which point Williamson would have got well out of the way. Instead MW is looking towards Krul and getting nothing and gets to the point where he has to make a decision. Only then does Krul decide to move towards it.

100% Krul's fault - he's had a fantastic season but no-one is faultless. As shit as Williamson can be, you can't blame him for every single fuck up.

if he got the shout though he leaves it

if not he puts his foot through it as hard as he can in whatever direction he can manage

im sat here now watching it again and again and I just dont get what he was trying to do, he was inches away from krul when he headed the ball and he'd had a good opportunity to wallop it or at least try to direct it somewhere wide of the goal if he hadnt had the shout.

instead he waits still krul is less than a foot away before nodding it out of his path to shane long and running straight into krul in the process

im not saying kruls blameless, if hed given the shout and cleaned them both out no worries

but williamson did literally the worst thing he couldve done in the situation, he had a good chance to smash it clear which he didnt do, then a chance to either leave or nod it back towards the keeper (or wide of the goal at least) which he didnt do. instead he headed it to the waiting striker to finish without anyone to stop him

Edited by Semimental

No one at fault but him

The ball was clearly bouncing into the box - Krul should have yelled for that at which point Williamson would have got well out of the way. Instead MW is looking towards Krul and getting nothing and gets to the point where he has to make a decision. Only then does Krul decide to move towards it.

100% Krul's fault - he's had a fantastic season but no-one is faultless. As shit as Williamson can be, you can't blame him for every single fuck up.

If Williamson had not gently nodded the ball towards the West Brom scorer it might well have not resulted in a goal. Willo's fault.

The keeper should own the penalty area. He's the one facing the play and needs to be telling a defender what to do with it and what's around him.

Williamson is clearly aware of the bloke on his right shoulder and sees him as a threat - he's no idea that Long is too his left, nor should he - he's concentrating on the ball. It's Krul's responsibilty to tell him to leave it or stick his boot through it. Without a shadow of a doubt he gets neither and is left with the decision to do something about it. He keeps it away from the known threat to his right and nods it left, totally unaware that Long is there.

One of the first things you're taught as a goalkeeper is to command the area and warn your defenders of what's around them. In this instance Krul failed on both counts. You say you're watching it again well have a look at when Krul starts to move and compare that with when Williamson stops looking towards him and concentrates on the ball. It's almost instantaneous.

Like I said Williamson gets some bad press, and rightly so. But he's not at fault on this one. Tim Krul is not infallible.

and one of the first things you're taught as a defender is that if you aren't sure of the situation you whack it somewhere.

he had the opportunity to do that and didn't.

as Ive said Krul is not entirely without blame but, for me, williamson has the chance to clear it before it gets to krul and shouldve done

and one of the first things you're taught as a defender is that if you aren't sure of the situation you whack it somewhere.

he had the opportunity to do that and didn't.

as Ive said Krul is not entirely without blame but, for me, williamson has the chance to clear it before it gets to krul and shouldve done

A bit like Phil Jones did against us? :lol:

I think the slow-mo replay has had you thinking he had more time to decide than he actually did. If you're a defender facing your own goal with attackers breathing down your neck you look to your goalkeeper to advise you what to do. And from a goalkeeper's perspective you're expected to observe that situation and open your trap. I used to play in goal to a decent level and have had many a bollocking from the coach for hesitating in that situation.

What should have happened is Krul should have yelled for it earlier and made it his. There seems to be a pre-conceived opinion that because Krul's had a blinder of a season and that Williamson has been a bit shit of late then it must be MW's fault. Had it been Harper in goal and Colccini facing his own goal I reckon a good proportion of the blame would rightly be placed on the keeper.

If it had been Colo facing his own goal, the ball would be out for a set piece not a kick off.

In no way should a defender be prodding it towards the center of the goal if he's unsure of the situation. Krul's at fault for not helping Williamson out by making a call either way but Willo has to take the main share of the blame there because he didn't do the basic thing of clearing it away from his own net, as Sentimental has been saying.

The fact that Willo's form has been way below par doesn't mean anything in this incident - he was put under pressure and made the wrong call.

Agree with most of what you say except the bit about Williamson taking most of the blame.

Absolutely bollocks! As any professional defender or keeper will tell you :lol: