Newcastle v Everton match thread (+ as a bonus , the Tim Krul! Thread)

Anorthernsoul

I've said before its very telling that the only one to see through him was KK.

Doesn't mean Keegan thought he was lazy. Arguably our only truly world class manager, Robson, saw something in him. Having a go at his ability and application is one thing, accusing him of not putting the effort in is another. For a local lad who has spent his whole career at the club, the latter doesn't ring true to me.

Having said that, he should be only used as a sub because of his limited stamina and cos he isn't good enough, end of.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't mean Keegan thought he was lazy. Arguably our only truly world class manager, Robson, saw something in him. Having a go at his ability and application is one thing, accusing him of not putting the effort in is another. For a local lad who has spent his whole career at the club, the latter doesn't ring true to me.

Having said that, he should be only used as a sub because of his limited stamina and cos he isn't good enough, end of.

It's more the overall rating than the "lazy" thing which I think is just his style. I don't doubt his commitment I just thing he isn't good enough.

Robson was a great manager but he had blind spots - of course everyone does and its convenient for me to say that Shola was one but I still think he's never been top notch and can consider himself damn lucky to have had the career he has. There have been loads of equally commited local lads over the years who've had to settle for a career at a lower level and he should have been another imo.

Nothing defines the last ten years of mediocrity better than him still being close to first choice.

Agreed. He is useful as an impact sub because of his size and strength, but starting games is a bit of a stretch at this level.

Someone on NO posted a while back that they'd had a conversation with Jonas Olsson and asked him who his least favorite NUFC player to play against is. The answer was Shola and the reason was that he's strong as fuck and impossible to get the ball off. And also he couldn't understand the stick Shola gets.

So there you go. It's not just our managers who've thought he has something about him.

Definitely a place for him as a sub to come on in the last 20. He's big and awkward and is somewhat skillful, though at times it seems he's as likely to fool himself with a trick as he is a defender. Starting a game is a stretch though.... maybe cup matches against lower league sides. As others have said even though he's as casual as fuck out there he still pulls out the occassional goal, or good pass.

The answer was Shola and the reason was that he's strong as fuck and impossible to get the ball off. And also he couldn't understand the stick Shola gets.

So there you go. It's not just our managers who've thought he has something about him.

Has the rare combination of long limbs and strength, rarely see him get tackled unless he breaks into full stride or he trips himself up.

Agreed. He is useful as an impact sub because of his size and strength, but starting games is a bit of a stretch at this level.

Like I said earlier and like DK just said, he's only a decent option to defend a lead or perhaps a draw. To call him an impact sub is a bit misleading because he's not going to get something for you when you're chasing the game.

I don't buy into the notion he's lazy but he's never been able to play more than 60 mins and he's about two stone of muscle heavier than he was a few years back.

If the ball bounces 5 yards away from you and you look at it instead of running towards it you are lazy. That's not your 'playing style' and if it is you should be playing a different sport

You talk broken down central sewage systems amount of shite, but you're spot on about Shola. I can't understand how everyone can miss it.

Like I said earlier and like DK just said, he's only a decent option to defend a lead or perhaps a draw. To call him an impact sub is a bit misleading because he's not going to get something for you when you're chasing the game.

Except against QPR... and Tottenham... and Sunderland.

Sunderland apart of course and generally speaking, he hasn't got what it takes to change a game in which you're trailing imo. I'm fairly confident there's many more examples where it hasn't worked out ;)

No doubt but that would be the same with any player. There's worse players to have sitting on your bench (his brother for one).

Aye, howay though man. It's proper last throw of the dice stuff when Shola comes on when you need a goal. As others have said, he was no. 4 choice here when he was at his physical peak. The fact his brother is nowhere near the finished article is neither here nor there. I'd say the only time he's looked effective in the last 5 or 6 seasons (bar in the Championship) is holding the ball up last year when we were already winning and he'd come on to retain a bit of possession. I don't actually mind Shola either.

Don't really disagree with any of that. Of course I'd prefer us to have someone more dynamic on our bench, but Shola is not without his merits - as frustrating as he may be on the whole. Starting though, they're having a lend.

Aye, although while I thought starting him in the middle against Everton was ridiculous, when you look at the bench....frightening.

Edited by Alex

The ultimate fact about Shola is this. He made his debut for the club 12 and a half years ago, and it's hardly been mentioned that he was due a testimonial nearly 3 years ago. If he was given a testimonial, I reckon it would be the first one ever where a player was booed on at his own game.

The ultimate fact about Shola is this. He made his debut for the club 12 and a half years ago, and it's hardly been mentioned that he was due a testimonial nearly 3 years ago. If he was given a testimonial, I reckon it would be the first one ever where a player was booed on at his own game.

I dont think he would. He's now moved on from simply been that shit player that keeps falling over to some sort of cult hero, particularly with younger fans for some reason.

I dont think he would. He's now moved on from simply been that shit player that keeps falling over to some sort of cult hero, particularly with younger fans for some reason.

I don't think you've the right to discriminate against ''Younger Fans'' when - A. You behave like one. B. Most of them will know more than you about Newcastle & football in general.

For the free kick he pushed around the post.He positioned himself directly behind the wall which gave him no view whatsoever of the ball and where it was going until it passed the wall.For the 1st Everton goal he did the same.The ball was well inside the post but Krul gave himself no chance of reaching it.Anita should be docked his wages for his actions for the 1st goal.He positions himself perfectly to attempt to charge down the ball,but then decides to retreat like a makem facing a hot bath as Bains runs to take the free kick.Cowardice plain and simple.When the opposition have free kicks wide right and wide left,why does Krul allow the defence to retreat before the ball is kicked to within 10 yards from goal.Sunday morning keepers would tell the defence to stay on the edge of the box and to stay there until the ball has been kicked.Basics of being a keeper,or they should be.