The No. 10.

Park Life

To be fair to Perch, who I think I've variously called the worst player I've seen in a Newcastle shirt, a complete defensive liability, worse than me and a bag of shite since he arrived at the club, he's been fantastic in the last few games. Fact remains, however, that he ain't a centre back and will get found out playing there. I'm more than happy to see him play at full back however.

I'm not. He cannot mark. He didn't have to do any marking against West Brom. When he played fullback for us previously he was so often ccaught well out of position as he pushes high up the pitch even when he's not going to get the ball. No doubt he could be coached to be better than he has been in the past, but it just isn't worth it.

You might be right, it was sitting in the defensive midfield position where he impressed me. Can't remember the last time we saw him at full back but he was certainly dreadful at right back at the start of last season.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 4-3-3 looks better when it does involve Ben Arfa and it doesn't involve Shola and Best.

Ha ha, very true!...really didn't get why Pardew trialled the 4-3-3 when we very much didn't have the personnel for it. Maybe was just to see how Ben Arfa would work in that role but Best on the left and Ameobi up top in a fluid formation wasn't going to work ever. The prospect of Cabaye and Jonas in behind Ben Arfa, Cisse and Ba has me salivating though. Yohan and Guti were playing some delicious balls yesterday

About a day ago?? :D

Was just about to say no he was at centre back but Jesus, you're right. I give up!

It wasn't a good game to get a read off. West Brom's wing play was more or less absent, and they barely had the ball on the deck down our end. He didn't do anything particularly wrong, but he didn't need to do much at all. His best position is in a midfield closer role when he can get about without the permanent marking responsibility closing the ball down and generally stopping their play developing.

Love the way this threads title keeps changing. Good stuff :lol:

One canny game doesn't make him the new Pedro....still a lot to do in my eyes. The greatest players do it 7/8 games in 10. Not a couple of good cameos and a brilliant 45mins in 7 months. I do understand there have been injury issues and he's been in and out the side. He's got the ability to be among the best players we've seen in this country. Can't decide if Pardew's "played" him as some are claiming or he's found his true place in a 4 3 3 or he was just in a good mood on Sunday. We'll see. But aye, a huge talent. If he has a good end to the season and gets in the French squad for the summer and does well in Poland/Ukraine we'll be lucky to hang on to him.

Love the way this threads title keeps changing. Good stuff

One canny game doesn't make him the new Pedro....still a lot to do in my eyes. The greatest players do it 7/8 games in 10. Not a couple of good cameos and a brilliant 45mins in 7 months. I do understand there have been injury issues and he's been in and out the side. He's got the ability to be among the best players we've seen in this country. Can't decide if Pardew's "played" him as some are claiming or he's found his true place in a 4 3 3 or he was just in a good mood on Sunday. We'll see. But aye, a huge talent. If he has a good end to the season and gets in the French squad for the summer and does well in Poland/Ukraine we'll be lucky to hang on to him.

Aye, totally agree with this and it's the one extreme to the other I find funny.

It's noticeable how positive the posts have been this week (not just this thread) following a very good 45 minutes against a poor team with the worst home record in the league.

I would love to believe everything has finally clicked, Ben Arfa has come good, Jonas is reinvented and Pardew has discovered the best formation for our team.

A repeat against Liverpool will be more convincing.

Not letting any of the above take anything away from the 45 minutes that were at times breathtaking in attack.

People seem to forget that it's his first full season in the premiership and he's still to get used to the way the english game works.

I think he's getting there, and definitely is starting to put in some good performances. Hopefully if he doesn't do the same against Liverpoo he won't be completely written off again though. Not naming names of course...

Love the way this threads title keeps changing. Good stuff

Aye, totally agree with this and it's the one extreme to the other I find funny.

It's noticeable how positive the posts have been this week (not just this thread) following a very good 45 minutes against a poor team with the worst home record in the league.

I would love to believe everything has finally clicked, Ben Arfa has come good, Jonas is reinvented and Pardew has discovered the best formation for our team.

A repeat against Liverpool will be more convincing.

Not letting any of the above take anything away from the 45 minutes that were at times breathtaking in attack.

The quality of the opposition is irrelevant to things like his touch, weight of pass and close control, and is largely irrelevant to his ability to run the ball half the length of the pitch (if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it against the bottom half teams). The sort of ability he is demonstrating is far from normal, and that's what is getting people excited. That and the fact that he looks happier, more focused and like the manager has finally found a place for him in the team.

I've said at various points in this thread that people were going way over the top, based on what they'd seen to date from him in a Newcastle shirt. I think he's starting to justify that hype. I bet Lake Bell's Tits is absolutely strumming it in Oslo at the minute.

Edited by Gemmill

He won't move on this summer and he is going to have a great season for us next year. It's not about the money with Hatem, it's all about the love.

he's certainly getting that off the terraces. we know a flair player when we see one. even when he was playign crap and getting subbed he was still getting his name chanted. he'll be a legend at this club if he wants to be

Are clubs like Liverpool or Chelsea likely to come in for him on what he's done this season?...I dare say that their cheerleaders in the media would say his natural home would be Arsenal, but if Wenger was going to take a chance on him theyd have been in for him when we were. Wenger wont pay huge money for him now I wouldnt have thought.

I wouldn't see him at another premiership club. If he were to leave, it'd be PSG offering silly money imo.

He's on a long term deal don't forget so he could be with us for a while, let's hope we see plenty more performances like the WBA one.

I don't think he's had a decent run in a settled team. Love to see him get three or four games with an unchanged side so he can get used to Ba and Cisse's movement and Cabaye can get used to HBA's movement.

As long as this lad is starting I fancy our chances against any opposition. Seems like he finally is ahead of Raylor, Obertan, Lovenkrants, Sammy and the tea lady in the queue.

He has the potential to be world class, on the shelf just below Messi and Ronaldo - along with players such as Silva, Aguero, Rooney and Benzema.

Will he ever furfill his promise? If he can sort his head and keep his workrate up, quite possibly. One thing is clear though:

He should be one of, if not the - first name on the team sheet. We need to build our team around him.

Guest CabayeAye

As long as this lad is starting I fancy our chances against any opposition. Seems like he finally is ahead of Raylor, Obertan, Lovenkrants, Sammy and the tea lady in the queue.

He has the potential to be world class, on the shelf just below Messi and Ronaldo - along with players such as Silva, Aguero, Rooney and Benzema.

Will he ever furfill his promise? If he can sort his head and keep his workrate up, quite possibly. One thing is clear though:

He should be one of, if not the - first name on the team sheet. We need to build our team around him.

Completely agree. The Raylors and Obertans of this world should be used to support him, not compete with him. If there isn't a slot for him in our formation, we're using the wrong formation.