The No. 10.

Park Life

Don't even get into tit for tat exchanges with scousers about whether it was a penalty and whether we should have had one etc. Just tell them the score was two nowt and that they can fucking smoke your bloke.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardew impresses me more and more. It looks like he's found a solution to the issues with HBA, and that has improved the team overall. That's the sign of a good manager for me, problem solving, not plugging away with the same thing that plainly doesn't work in the way a few managers we've had in the past have done (morning Sam, how's life at West Hahaham?) I think Pardew has improved a few players at the club this season, even seemingly Perch and Williamson.

What about Ben Arfa? Has he started impressing you yet?

@ j2j : I think it goes without saying he's a brilliant footballer, one of the best I've seen. But he was struggling earlier in the season, im not sure if Pardew knew where to play him. The manager also wanted more graft out of him. As I say it looks like Pardew and the player himself have gone away and thought about things and its now beginning to click for both parties. I'm delighted with that. But he's had some fuckin shockers this season (Brighton in the cup was particlarly bad) and when he's been shite I've said so. Its been frustration more than anything when I have, because its been obvious from when he scored v Everton last season that he's a fuckin genius.

The thing is its no good his cheerleaders on here feeling smug about how he's playing now, that's largely down to Pardew iyam, because for a lot of this season I was thinking he may be "one that got away" if he couldn't settle properly in the team. When he was on the bench most weeks there were some saying he should leave etc and given his history at his previous clubs it wouldn't have been much of a surprise if hed had a giddy fit and done just that.

Pardews also improved the likes of Guthrie, Perch, Simpson etc whilst they've all received regular critcism on here. That was the point of my post, he's improving the less talented players he's inherited and he's also getting the best out of the quality players we've signed. A very good sign.

Only Sir Bob has come in and improved journeymen player's performances by 10-20% in the way Pardew has.

Ben Arfa is probably the only player I've seen that could get the better of Enrique at will. He had him for pace which is one thing but his feet were too much for Enrique to deal with as well.

Its awesome to have a player that everyone knows is going to make something happen when hes got the ball at his feet. Magic.

@ j2j : I think it goes without saying he's a brilliant footballer, one of the best I've seen. But he was struggling earlier in the season, im not sure if Pardew knew where to play him. The manager also wanted more graft out of him. As I say it looks like Pardew and the player himself have gone away and thought about things and its now beginning to click for both parties. I'm delighted with that. But he's had some fuckin shockers this season (Brighton in the cup was particlarly bad) and when he's been shite I've said so. Its been frustration more than anything when I have, because its been obvious from when he scored v Everton last season that he's a fuckin genius.

The thing is its no good his cheerleaders on here feeling smug about how he's playing now, that's largely down to Pardew iyam, because for a lot of this season I was thinking he may be "one that got away" if he couldn't settle properly in the team. When he was on the bench most weeks there were some saying he should leave etc and given his history at his previous clubs it wouldn't have been much of a surprise if hed had a giddy fit and done just that.

Pardews also improved the likes of Guthrie, Perch, Simpson etc whilst they've all received regular critcism on here. That was the point of my post, he's improving the less talented players he's inherited and he's also getting the best out of the quality players we've signed. A very good sign.

Only Sir Bob has come in and improved journeymen player's performances by 10-20% in the way Pardew has.

Good post

I just like that we can have a discussion about why Ben Arfa is doing so well. I don't really care why, so credit to Alan Pardew, credit to the ground staff, credit to the canteen lady, credit to Obertan, credit to all and sundry inclusive of little ol' HBA himself.

I didn't realise Ben Arfa had any critics.

But, looking at players we don't want to lose ie Ba, Tiote, I would say that Ben Arfa is a player who is truly fit for the highest stage and we should be worried that he could attract the biggest clubs of all such as Barca, Real, AC MIlan etc and if that happens he would probably want to go and who could blame him, because most players want to play for those clubs.

Thats the case for every club in the world bar a few Leazes. And the best clubs cant buy ALL the best players. You may get unlucky and they set their eyes on him, or they wont.

Add to that we wont have to fear Liverpool taking any of our players this year, and all the other clubs are quite put off by the entire Carroll saga. Additionally, Mike Ashley is a notoriously fickle seller and you wont get much change from 20 million pounds for any of our star players if even that.

I am quite certain most clubs are very reluctant to buying players off us. We may lose Tiote this summer but I actually dont think so. He doesnt offer enough going forward for a title-chasing club, Man Utd wont go for him. Chelsea wont either, Essien at his prime was twice the player tiote is. If he sprinkled assists and goals I would be far more worried. City dont need him and tottenham have modric which is - lets face it - even better.

Demba Ba might go, but with his knee, at 27, who is gonna give him a 5 -year contract on 80 grand a week? In addition he loves it here and Cisse also arrived, a national mate.

Summa summarum: I think our Regime is counting on 20 million pounds from Tiote in order to bring in new players. For me, that is perfectly acceptable. But I actually think they have been trying to move him on for a few windows already. Its just that the market for a pure defensive midfielder with very little offensive qualities - at that price - is very narrow.

Teams good and rich enough to stomach the fee needs other qualities, and teams that do need him are below us in the league and cant splash the cash.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Williamson have been absolute gash aside from the last match or two.

What issues where there with HBA other than starting him? I am not going to give pardew credit for starting a world beater

Williamson has generally been canny, but has suffered from making a couple of fairly big mistakes in each game, which is unfortunately the bit that is remembered. Cisse missed two good chances against West Brom, yet was in the running for man of the match. Williamson did most things right all game long, but made one poor mistake and was given dog's abuse. Unless you're making spectacular tackles and blocks, nobody remembers a solid defensive display - only the mistakes.

Ben Arfa has a lot of baggage. He has a history of throwing tantrums and generally not being a team player. There was never any doubt that he has talent, but managing his ego and finding a way for him to function in a team is a huge, huge task. Pardew has found a way. Despite initially earmarking him for a number 10 role, he's now playing him wide right. Accidental or otherwise, this is working a treat. His mere presence means that the opposition full back is pegged in his own half, relieving a bit of pressure on Simpson. In the number 10 role, his lack of defensive contribution left Cabaye and Tiote working overtime, leaving massive gaps in midfield.

The fluid front three of Cisse, Ba and Ben Arfa looks like the best forward line we've had all season.

Excellent post 100% spot on.

Every squad needs "journeymen" because you can't keep "stars" happy sat on the bench, if you have a manager who can maximise the performance of the bit part players when they are needed, you're in pretty good shape.

Thats the case for every club in the world bar a few Leazes. And the best clubs cant buy ALL the best players. You may get unlucky and they set their eyes on him, or they wont.

Add to that we wont have to fear Liverpool taking any of our players this year, and all the other clubs are quite put off by the entire Carroll saga. Additionally, Mike Ashley is a notoriously fickle seller and you wont get much change from 20 million pounds for any of our star players if even that.

I am quite certain most clubs are very reluctant to buying players off us. We may lose Tiote this summer but I actually dont think so. He doesnt offer enough going forward for a title-chasing club, Man Utd wont go for him. Chelsea wont either, Essien at his prime was twice the player tiote is. If he sprinkled assists and goals I would be far more worried. City dont need him and tottenham have modric which is - lets face it - even better.

Demba Ba might go, but with his knee, at 27, who is gonna give him a 5 -year contract on 80 grand a week? In addition he loves it here and Cisse also arrived, a national mate.

Summa summarum: I think our Regime is counting on 20 million pounds from Tiote in order to bring in new players. For me, that is perfectly acceptable. But I actually think they have been trying to move him on for a few windows already. Its just that the market for a pure defensive midfielder with very little offensive qualities - at that price - is very narrow.

Teams good and rich enough to stomach the fee needs other qualities, and teams that do need him are below us in the league and cant splash the cash.

nobody is arguing that certain teams in the world just can't be turned down.............

never have either.

We may lose Tiote this summer but I actually dont think so. He doesnt offer enough going forward for a title-chasing club, Man Utd wont go for him. Chelsea wont either, Essien at his prime was twice the player tiote is. If he sprinkled assists and goals I would be far more worried. City dont need him and tottenham have modric which is - lets face it - even better.

agreed

Additionally, am I the only one with the feeling that we have already tried to flip him for a few windows? Just going by pardews comments etc..

Just seems like there is not the plethora of biters they reckoned there would be. Additionally the Cheik loves it here, a bit too much perhaps for Mike and Dekkas taste :)

I think he'd be a good fit at Manchester United who have struggled to have a top quality central midfield in recent years. I'd love to see him stay though, and I know that if he does leave we'll be pocketing an over the odds amount of money.