Newcastle v West Brom Wed 21st Kick Off 7.45pm

Christmas Tree

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're far from fine in attack, we have Ba, that's it, you need two decent strikers and some cover, we have 1 striker and barely cover

like i said earlier, the "good start" papers over the cracks, which are now starting to appear with a vengeance

We've been adequate going forward, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Yeah without Ba we're in trouble, but we currently have Ba playing so it's a moot point.

Honestly though how awful is Perch? Why can't he head a ball?

Collocini looks around and he's got no support. If he's out of position Taylor covers, and vice versa. With Perch Colo looks unsteady and the confidence isn't there, which showed massively tonight.

2-3 FT

What a fucking joke, I'm so pissed off right now.

Is this what the season's gonna be like from now on? May well be knee-jerk but fuck me. The worst defensive performance I've seen in a looooong time.

an actual CB partner in Willo (or optimistically someone else in jan) will see our defence back together I reckon

I sure hope so. But I don't buy this "we're doing fine in attack" talk, we need to be able to create more real chances against teams like WBA and Swansea. Demba is scoring the goals on his own, basically.

if we create enough chances to get 2-3 goals a game we don't need to make many more as long as the defence does its work properly, Ba got the two today and Vukic unleashed that effort that almost fell to Ba afterwards too I don't think the problems in attack and if there are then HBA isnt the absolute solution, hes never got into double figures on goals or assists himself in his career,

that said I dont want anyone saying the I prefer Obertan or Best blah blah, I think he should definitely be playing, but it seems the longer he isnt in the team the more people believe we have Leo Messi on the bench

I think our midfield looked unimaginative in the build up play today, our chances came from Vuckic's two great shots and obviously Demba Ba. No we don't have Leo Messi but we have Hatem Ben Arfa and he should be a regular in this team, end of.

Don't defend Colo too much - he had a bad game regardless of his colleague's failings.

I just can't believe we've gained 1 point off Norwich, Swansea and West Brom.

Going to ignore football for the rest of the night and hopefully the next few days, I'm so annoyed right now.

4 minutes between Ba scoring and them getting the winner. It should have been all out attack with only us looking likely to win it in the last few minutes - and even if we hadn't found a goal, a point is still a point. But nothing?

Don't defend Colo too much - he had a bad game regardless of his colleague's failings.

Absolutely. His worst performance since...I don't remember. Which of course made it totally impossible for Perch. That's not defending Perch, I'm saying he's a very limited player who needs a reliable defender alongside him.

Edited by hostile_statue

Not really sure what Pardew is upto. I mean the basics were wrong from the start and that isn't even taking into account the turgid and unimaginative selection we are having to put up with.

We are playing a team with two of the fastest forwards in the PL and so we kindly lay on a high line that was bordering on the half way line, which is normally suicidal and proved so today. Every time they broke (even with just two of them it looked like they might score).

THIS 442 leaves yawning gaps in the center of the park and a a weakend spine (no Cabaye no Taylor) leaves the side who are wanting to push on at home exposed - it will everytime.

This misjudgement is magnifyied if YOU KEEP GIVING cheap posession away with long balls from the back - which we did as panic set in more often than not...THE TEMPTATION IS THERE OF COURSE CAUSE THE TWO BIG STRIKERS look like and enticing target till the ball is in the air and the defence closes down/steps up.

Like SWANSEA more often than not WBA hogged the middle when we had the ball and we did have the ball for spells but there seemed to be no plan other than give it to someone to run up the side and throw it into the middle - that is basically the extent of what we did in the last two games. It would have been worse but for Ba manufacturing goals out of thin air.

Pardew who I didn't really want to over criticise is beginning to lose the plot and seems unware that other sides have watched us a few times and know we have NO PLAN B whatsoever/can't play through the middle/ or HBA IS NOT ON THE PITCH.

Stop starting Best and Obertan and let the free midfielder (normally Cabaye/tonight Vukic) come to the edge of the box or interchange passes so the whole team can come up while we retain posession. What are we doing? Just throwing it in from the side or the back over the head of the midfield and risking losing posession every time...It's really tedious to watch.

The season isn't ruined yet but if Pardew doesn't have the nous or guts to change it and play one striker it's gonna carry on like this.

Two home games against sides we should be beating down the drain.

MOM Ba

Good game from Vukic and he played a couple of blinding balls through the middle and should have scored.

Not going to have a go at Collo cause I suspect he's not fully fit and was up againt the mad high line as well.

Edited by Park Life

Not really sure what Pardew is upto. I mean the basics were wrong from the start and that isn't even taking into account the turgid and unimaginative selection we are having to put up with.

We are playing a team with two of the fastest forwards in the PL and so we kindly lay on a high line that was bordering on the half way line, which is normally suicidal and proved so today. Every time they broke (even with just two of them it looked like they might score).

THIS 442 leaves yawning gaps in the center of the park and a a weakend spine (no Cabaye no Taylor) leaves the side who are wanting to push on at home exposed - it will everytime.

This misjudgement is magnifyied if YOU KEEP GIVING cheap posession away with long balls from the back - which we did as panic set in more often than not...THE TEMPTATION IS THERE OF COURSE CAUSE THE TWO BIG STRIKERS look like and enticing target till the ball is in the air and the defence closes down/steps up.

Like SWANSEA more often than not WBA hogged the middle when we had the ball and we did have the ball for spells but there seemed to be no plan other than give it to someone to run up the side and throw it into the middle - that is basically the extent of what we did in the last two games. It would have been worse but for Ba manufacturing goals out of thin air.

Pardew who I didn't really want to over criticise is beginning to lose the plot and seems unware that other sides have watched us a few times and know we have NO PLAN B whatsoever/can't play through the middle/ or HBA IS NOT ON THE PITCH.

Stop starting Best and Obertan and let the free midfielder (normally Cabaye/tonight Vukic) come to the edge of the box or interchange passes so the whole team can come up while we retain posession. What are we doing? Just throwing it in from the side or the back over the head of the midfield and risking losing posession every time...It's really tedious to watch.

The season isn't ruined yet but if Pardew doesn't have the nous or guts to change it and play one striker it's gonna carry on like this.

Two home games against sides we should be beating down the drain.

MOM Ba

Good game from Vukic and he played a couple of blinding balls through the middle and should have scored.

Aye, I agree with most of that. We really missed Cabaye, I think. He allows us to really keep the ball and create chances through the middle.

433 is the way to go imo - was well impressed with Vukic and imo Ben Arfa gave us a bit more bite.

Our defense is killing us - Perch is awful - would be lucky to get into a Championship team never mind premiership. Pardew needs to gamble a bit and put Santon as CB - lets face hit he can't do any worse.

Tiote didn't help matters either tonight - he had a total mare - not sure what's happened to him this season - hasn't got near his form of last.

Edited by duo

433 is the way to go imo - was well impressed with Vukic and imo Ben Arfa gave us a bit more bite.

Our defense is killing us - Perch is awful - would be lucky to get into a Championship team never mind premiership. Pardew needs to gamble a bit and put Santon as CB - lets face hit he can't do any worse.

Tiote didn't help matters either tonight - he had a total mare - not sure what's happened to him this season - hasn't got near his form of last.

Seems like his heart isn't in it, he looked so much more committed last term.

On my point about Colo, I'm not defending his poor display tonight. What I am saying is he performs at his best with when in a partnership, especially with Taylor. Perch offers fuck all defensively. It's up to Pardew to stop fucking picking him though.

He can't be made the only scapegoat though, we aren't clinical enough going forward. Obertan will run but offers little end product. We have dominated for long periods in the past 3 games, even the Chelsea game we had alot of the ball but can't make it count.

The writing has been on the wall all season tbh. We have let teams come to loads of chances, they just havent converted them. Now they are starting to, and with that we are shit out of luck.

Best and Obertan are a waste of sperm, and perch should be handed a KFC cap and told to pursuit a different career.

He can't be made the only scapegoat though, we aren't clinical enough going forward. Obertan will run but offers little end product. We have dominated for long periods in the past 3 games, even the Chelsea game we had alot of the ball but can't make it count.

A compliment if i ever saw one.

No wins in 6 games.

Looks like seeing out unbeaten run come to an end had its knock on effect and we're really struggling now.

Our defense just needs games together because we're threadbare at the moment and it's costing goals.

I've defended him, not saying 'he must go' or shite like that but tactically Pardew has been fucking dreadful this run of games. I've not read through the thread so if Ben Arfa is injured then fair enough but Pardew is seriously taking the piss persisting with Obertan, I was thinking what has to happen to get Ben Arfa in the starting line-up and I really feel that if Obertan was injured Sammy Ameobi would be played ahead of Ben Arfa. I thought Vuckic had a canny game but we looked lifeless, there was seriously nowt about us in this game Demba Ba was our only player, Colo had his worst game in 3 year and I thought some of Tiote's passing was horrific (iirc his very poor pass attempt to Obertan led to Brunt getting the ball and passing to Odemwinge for their 1st). I seriously don't understand why we played such a high line against perhaps the fastest striking partnership in the league has Pardew never watched West Brom before?

Like I said before there was nowt about us tbh and aye we did miss Yohann but this is why Ben Arfa should have started over Obertan or Best. Watching replays of the freekick that led to Ba's 1st Obertan had passing opportunities but his head was completely down eyes on the ball, he was just running hoping to be fouled imo so he didn't have to do anything total shite player, there's no more 'give him time' he's had half a season now and he looks even more incompetent than when he 1st started playing.

1 point from Norwich, Swansea and West Brom is very poor, what's more worrying that's come from these games is Pardew's ineptitude with substitutions and sometimes dire tactics.

Not read all of the thread. The high defensive line killed us.

I thought we were dominant. Ba is a monster. WBA were better than I thought and they had their tactics spot on. No knee-jerking from me. There's been enough positives, even in the last few games to show we'll avoid relegation. We'll finish in or around the top 10, which is what the club are aiming for.