Newcastle v West Brom Wed 21st Kick Off 7.45pm

Christmas Tree

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From very early on WBA looked like they wanted it more. The were chasing down every ball and tbf there passing game was like Barcelona compared to us.

Thought we were pretty shocking all over the pitch, particularly Obertan and even Tiote looked to be playing himself out of a big money move. Just looks like both him and Coloccini have been rushed back too early.

Vuckic did okay and has a good shot on him but how creative he is linking with the forwards and wingers is hard to say as we just seemed to hump everything forward.

Got a bit excited at 2-2 but I dont think we deserved anything from this and it was quite shocking how poor we were.

Hard to pass any comment on Ben Arfa as he was down the opposite end. Not sure if he actually created anything or just did some nowhere dribbles?

Hate nights like tonight. :(

Ba absolute class and as soon as he placed the ball for the free kick his confidence looked like he was going to get a goal.

I thought - aside from one great bit of skill - that Best was woeful. Maybe the service to him didn't help but his positioning was all over the place and he was far too anonymous.

Aye think he's starting to show his true level, I like the bloke he's a good professional but he just doesn't seem a constant enough threat to be a premiership forward.

tbf there passing game was like Barcelona compared to us.

Agreed, especially in the 1st half.

Edited by Howay

My avoid relegation comment was a point that we will be unlikely to be in a relegation scrap this season. We are also unlikely to break into the top 6. Everything else is mid-table mediocrity.

We've fucked up 3winnable games, we also did very well in some games where I'd usually expect nothing. We're in a poor run, there's still positives though. We'll pick back up soon enough and carry on the same trend, likely finishing where the club have targeted(top 10).

I agree about Tiote & Cabaye. Tiote is off the pace and was a little list without Cabaye as his fulcrum. No relationship with Vuckic yet.

Cabaye seems to dictate everything for us, you saw for the 1st goal, Tiote carries he ball-looking very unconvincing and tried a tricky pass. It was cut out and we conceded within seconds.

Vuckic was promising, I thought.

Wba second and third goals perch falls asleep and let's his marker get 3-4 yard of space, horrible defending, as much as I want him to prove his doubters wrong, if he does that he ain't got a chance in hell...

Demba Ba though is ridiculously good, anywhere inside 25 yards he's a threat.

At least Perch was near the player putting him under a slight bit of pressure for their second, Colo was nowhere ball-watching. Their 3rd was an exceptional goal on the quick half volley after an excellent knock down. If Colo hadn't just jogged alongside Long giving him the time to cross it, maybe the cross wouldn't have been so dangerous.

Tonight wasn't about Obertan or Perch it was our top players (apart from Ba) having a shocker, Colo and Tiote in particular. We had enough possession and chances to get something from the game but defensively overall we looked weak.

As for Pardew there have been some tactical questions in the last two or 3 games but before tonight (Norwich mainly) it was about missing personnel. Tonight did seem like we were weak in our game plan but any team and manager with our resources is going to have a poor run, they have to otherwise in our case we would be a top 4 side. We're not, as everyone knows, so the problem is not the bad run of results (that occurring is a given) it's about how long it lasts and whether we have shown enough quality to bounce back. I believe we have but whichever way you look at it, that was a bad result.

In the grand scheme of things we should have beaten Norwich, Swansea and WBA only if we should be on 35 points and if we should be currently 3rd. It's fine for now that we didnt as we have done so well before this run of games but Pardew needs to earn his money over the next 2 months, a tricky window and the ACN will test his credentials fully. I continue to appreciate how well he has managed the challenges and the changes since taking over and us going on a bad run was inevitable for anyone who didn't think we could finish top 6 really. Unless you were expecting 6th or better you should be still quite calm about our current predicament. I appreciate that this logic might be a bit overwhelming for some ;)

Again I have to question Pardoo.

(1) Why didn't he start Williamson instead of Perch?

(2) Why did he wait so long before he brought on BenArfa?

(3) Why did he leave Oberton on so long?

(4) Why did he leave Best on so long?

(5) Couldn't he see Best & Oberton weren't contributing much to the game.

(6) Why did he take Santon off? Did I miss something.

Surprised to see Vucic start, even more surprised at how well he did.

Tiote was pretty awful.

Ba is beginning to look more & more like a No. 9.

At least Perch was near the player putting him under a slight bit of pressure for their second, Colo was nowhere ball-watching. Their 3rd was an exceptional goal on the quick half volley after an excellent knock down. If Colo hadn't just jogged alongside Long giving him the time to cross it, maybe the cross wouldn't have been so dangerous.

I wouldn't be surprised if Colo was still feeling the effects of injury. The depth of the squad is so lacking we have to play him through it regardless.

Don't defend Colo too much - he had a bad game regardless of his colleague's failings.

Absolutely. His worst performance since...I don't remember. Which of course made it totally impossible for Perch. That's not defending Perch, I'm saying he's a very limited player who needs a reliable defender alongside him.

His worst since Bolton away last season. Coincidently that match is up next. He's prone to the odd horrible performance largely against pace. There's no way we should have been playing such a high defensive line when both of their forwards are pacy. Tactically that left us exposed on so many occasions.

Obertan is copping stick for nothing in this match. He wasn't great but was effective. Won corners and the free kick that Ba scored from and actually showed some enthusiasm in closing them down. As usual he burnt out in the second half, should probably have come off earlier. Ben Arfa adds a dimension, that's for sure.

That's now two ineffective matches from Best so he doesn't desire to hold his spot against Bolton. Perch goes without saying but inexplicably it appears as though he'll be out there again.

Edited by OTF

Best looks like he is on his usual "I don't give a shit"-run. Couldn't really see a man who deserves playing football at a pro-level... worse than Obertan even. Would've at least been 3-3 without him seeing his most involved moment was when he was cancelling out Ba's hattrick.. if Ben Arfa had played from start he would've kept West Brom busy and on their back foot a lot more this match. Could've been a two-man show instead of a one-man show.

Edited by Aeris

Hard to pass any comment on Ben Arfa as he was down the opposite end. Not sure if he actually created anything or just did some nowhere dribbles?

He set up Ba's second goal. :good:

He'll get the assist, but he played it 2 yards behind Ba, that goal was all about ba who controlled and laid it off, then reacted fastest to the loose ball. It was played into space to be fair though which was much more than best managed.

He'll get the assist, but he played it 2 yards behind Ba, that goal was all about ba who controlled and laid it off, then reacted fastest to the loose ball. It was played into space to be fair though which was much more than best managed.

ben arfa's ball to ba couldn't possibly have been played in a better area atm, he was just lucky it was ba because the way he changed his direction and almost neglecting momentum couldn't have been done by just any striker. feckin amazing striker.

He'll get the assist, but he played it 2 yards behind Ba, that goal was all about ba who

controlled and laid it off, then reacted fastest to the loose ball. It was played into space to be fair though which was much more than best managed.

All of Bests passes were in space. It was just space next to their players!

Mind you I think most of his 'passes' were actually failed attempts to control the ball!

:lol: Did he? Head was in hands by then with serious head rubbing going on.........oh behave!

It's funny reading on here sometimes like. Not too long ago, Best was a valuable squad member, now he's shite and not good enough. He's always been shite, always will be, the biggest club he should be playing for is a Reading or Blackpool not an NUFC. He hides all of the time, but Obertan I'm gonna stop sticking up for him, he's fuckin utter pish.