I haven't enjoyed a season as much as this one since....

Dr Gloom

...01/02.

You know, the year SBR got us going after a few seasons of mediocrity, signed Robert and Bellamy and we finished 4th.

There's a lot of parallels. I think the main one is that no one saw it coming. I honestly thought we'd struggle this season. The likes of Sky, Stan Collymore and Mark Bastard Lawrenson have been talking in hope as well as expectation about us falling off the pace and the usual clubs finishing in the top 6.

Most of us still expect them to be right but I'm loving that we keep putting their noses out of joint. The weeks are rolling by and we're still hanging around like a bad smell, putting in performances, picking up results and fucking off the hacks who want to see the same clubs up there every season. Long may it continue!

Edited by Dr Gloom

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...01/02.

You know, the year SBR got us going after a few seasons of mediocrity, signed Robert and Bellamy and we finished 4th.

There's a lot of parallels. I think the main one is that no one saw it coming. I honestly thought we'd struggle this season. The likes of Sky, Stan Collymore and Mark Bastard Lawrenson have been talking in hope as well as expectation about us falling off the pace and the usual clubs finishing in the top 6.

Most of us still expect them to be right but I'm loving that we keep putting their noses out of joint. The weeks are rolling by and we're still hanging around like a bad smell, putting in performances, picking up results and fucking off the hacks who want to see the same clubs up there every season. Long may it continue!

Completely agree. The fact it clearly pisses off LM is the icing on the cake. Shows what a sad man he is tbh.

Edited by Renton

2003 shades it for me, that game against Feyenoord , the draw at the San Siro, Shearer hattrick against Leverkusen...

That was mint obviously but I think the fact we knew we had a good team and expectations were raised changed it a bit. Watching the results come in every week when you're not expecting it is something special.

Guest CabayeAye

If we get into the CL I will jizz! If we drew one of the Milan teams I would pay anything to go to the San Siro and ensure that I took the biggest banner money could buy inquiring about whether anyone had indeed seen a m*ckem in Milan.

I think the enjoyment comes out of the lack of expectation. Okay, we all have our own individual expectations of a top half finish, and some are now saying they would disappointed with anything lower than 7th but overall at the start of the season (especially with losing some of our 'bigger' players) we were just hoping we wouldn't be shown up. Whatever happens and wherever we finish, we have put in a good shift and at the end of the day that is definitely something to be proud of.

I would prefer it if we were consistently good season after season, though. Hopefully this is the start of that. If Ashley doesn't invest then Europe could be our worst enemy next year (should it happen).

I think the enjoyment comes out of the lack of expectation. Okay, we all have our own individual expectations of a top half finish, and some are now saying they would disappointed with anything lower than 7th but overall at the start of the season (especially with losing some of our 'bigger' players) we were just hoping we wouldn't be shown up. Whatever happens and wherever we finish, we have put in a good shift and at the end of the day that is definitely something to be proud of.

I would prefer it if we were consistently good season after season, though. Hopefully this is the start of that. If Ashley doesn't invest then Europe could be our worst enemy next year (should it happen).

The fear that Ashley will contrive to cock up any success we might enjoy remains but as a supporter you have to judge every season on merit. This one has been an absolute belter.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Guest CabayeAye

I'm hoping that he might have learnt his lesson by now. He really has no reason to piss us off since we're doing well and earning him plenty of money as it is. It's a symbiotic relationship - we do well and attract good players, he harvests them for cash and buys more players with potential, sowing the seeds for the next harvest whilst taking his slice. We're happy because we're doing well, he's happy because he's still in steak slices.

First time in my living memory that we have a solid defence and that's the most pleasing aspect for me.

For all the enjoyment we had between 93-96 and 01-04, the frailties of the defence always seemed to leave a feeling that there was still massive room for improvement in the back line.

Heard a debate on TalkSh*te the other night with them debating where the weak point of the team is and they were leading the question to suggest that it is still the defence. Some bloke rang in and said it was the depth of the squad.

Couldn't agree more.

...01/02.

Completely agree. The fact it clearly pisses off LM is the icing on the cake. Shows what a sad man he is tbh.

how many years upfront in season tickets have you paid for to "not enjoy", you utter, utter sad idiot ?

It's great watching away games with the realistic hope that we'll get a result (the promotion season aside we've not had that in years) as well as not seeing us drop stupid points at home on a regular basis against inferior teams.

The work ethic the team has goes a long way to explaining why this is the case and I think both Pardew and Hughton deserve credit for that.

@ Leazes. Ten years. And unlike you I get behind my team and I'm enjoying every minute of it, you sad bitter cunt.

Edit: apologies for the language like but LM really is bitter and obsessed, to the extent he can't help slagging off Newcastle away fans for engaging in banter about Caroll. Unbelievable really.

Edited by Renton

It's great watching away games with the realistic hope that we'll get a result (the promotion season aside we've not had that in years) as well as not seeing us drop stupid points at home on a regular basis against inferior teams.

The work ethic the team has goes a long way to explaining why this is the case and I think both Pardew and Hughton deserve credit for that.

definitely. hughton installed it and pardew - to most peoples' surprise - has carried it on.

got to agree about the spine of the side krul - colo - tiote - ba is as good a core of of players in the key positions as we had in the glory days of the 90s. if we can keep them together - and fit - and add more cabayes, santons and cisses around them then we're looking good for the future.

whether or not the fatty running the club allows that to happen remains to be seen. he's got to be loving this season - will it get him excited about the club again? got to just hope that he builds on this season and we have another window in the summer like the one we just had where he adds to the squad rather than reverting to type.

definitely. hughton installed it and pardew - to most peoples' surprise - has carried it on.

got to agree about the spine of the side krul - colo - tiote - ba is as good a core of of players in the key positions as we had in the glory days of the 90s. if we can keep them together - and fit - and add more cabayes, santons and cisses around them then we're looking good for the future.

whether or not the fatty running the club allows that to happen remains to be seen. he's got to be loving this season - will it get him excited about the club again? got to just hope that he builds on this season and we have another window in the summer like the one we just had where he adds to the squad rather than reverting to type.

Which is? :)

I actually thought the home games were more exciting last season, I really enjoyed last season, we're more solid this season by far though which is surprising considering braun has to an extent been replaced by flair.

Regardless what anyone thinks of Ashley they should never let him stop their enjoyment of matches nor distinguish our hope in the future.