I haven't enjoyed a season as much as this one since....

Dr Gloom

This has certainly been an enjoyable season, probably my most enjoyable thus far focusing only on seasons where I could see the majority of our matches - coming from following the results in the newspaper in the early days of my support in the early to mid 90s.

The Championship season was a lot of fun, and there was some fantastic games last season (5-1, flogging Villa, neatly disposing of Liverpool, the comeback) but there was some horrible results as well. This season the horrible matches have been limited, and even when we play bad we've still picked up some points.

Some keen purchases have really improved our first 11, and despite our apparent lack of depth a comradery that was built under Hughton appears to be continuing under Pardew. Players with mixed histories have improved immensely, stepping up to add some vital relief when our first teamers aren't available.

Enjoying it while it lasts is what it comes down to. Noone can know with any certainty what is around the corner so they should be words to live by in the world of a Newcastle United supporter.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say the same as I had to rely on SBS for my Newcastle results/news when I started supporting the team in the mid/late 90s. So in terms of season's where I have been able to watch us play every week this is the most enjoyable.

On a side note, can all of Leazes post just be auto-moved to the Euro Express Thread? I would worry about continuity but you know.

I think this discussion should be moved to the creche tbh.

Aye, I can't understand all these otherwise sensible posters constantly getting bogged down in the same old shite.

Every other thread is full of this toxic shit and is becoming unreadable.

It's a shame those posters or the mods don't see the overall damage it's doing to this place.

It's like Internet Jeremy Kyle :(

It's the Palestine/Israel of this board, both sides have their sympathisers but at the same time, the sympathisers wish the problem would go away. Repetition can be one of the worst things in life.

Aye, I can't understand all these otherwise sensible posters constantly getting bogged down in the same old shite.

It's a shame those posters or the mods don't see the overall damage it's doing to this place.

It's the Palestine/Israel of this board, both sides have their sympathisers but at the same time, the sympathisers wish the problem would go away. Repetition can be one of the worst things in life.

Very true.

Cant you negotiate a ceasefire. :)

Edited by Christmas Tree

the trouble with this is, "sensible posters" - in your eyes - is someone who agrees with YOU ?

Now, I think I'm right, in fact, I know that I am. A good run of results doesn't make YOU right, and the problem is too many people getting carried away by a relatively short run of results.

As always, my comments are long term, while winning games in the short term is enjoyable and what going to games is all about, it isn't wrong to point out the limitations and lack of long term ambition in the overall setup. This may not suit opinions, but it is true.

And after all, its all about opinions, or supposed to be. Nobody is "abusing" anybody so far as I can see, if someone wants to say I'm spouting bollocks I'm quite happy to say that they are and I'm 100% confident that I will be right. Do you want a message board where everybody agrees with each other ? That is what Newcastle ONlne is like man, and the mods etc have created a message board for gimps with their actions over the years.

Banning people or advocating banning people because they disagree with you is pathetic and drags the board down more than anything.

Edited by LeazesMag

Leazes, what constitutes a "run"? Last time I checked we were 24 games into a 38 game season. That's a pretty long run - and we've had a bad run during it too.

a few years and an obvious ambitious setup and aim to go higher, by building and improving rather than selling your best players and hoping to replace more cheaply ?

Is this seriously the way for a big club to act ? What do you think ?

How many times........

It's been a good season, aye. Possibly helped by some of the expected 'big boys' not being quite as good as they'd hoped imo but still a good season. My only gripe is a continuing one that the current ruling regime employs a cockend like Derek Llambias, without him I'd be willing to give the owner a bit of space and call a truce over his running of things. My worry is that it'll all just revert to type in the summer, we'll sell our best players for big profits and go nowhere. I'll never forgive the owner for some of the heinous things he's done to the club in the past but I'm willing to turn a blind eye (for the sake of my supporting sanity) if our on-pitch efforts continue to grow, improve and show ambition. One transfer window without sorrow doesn't repair the damage done to my relationship with the club's owners, they've still got a long way to go to make things up, in the mean time I'm happy to cheer the team on if they're going in the right direction.

We were getting tipped for relegation by some so called pundits pre season, even most fans thought mid table or just above so to be pushing for 4th and bloodying some big spending noses en route is making this very sweet. There is a passion and team spirit which is something that was previously lacking.

Whilst your post is a fair one, I have to strongly disagree with your "reverting to type" line. That makes it sound like he's sold off plenty of our best players for big profits, which isn't the case at all. Carroll was a unique scenario and we're absolutely better off for it now.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Yeah, this season has been very surprising. I was pessimistic in the summer and thought we were destined for the bottom half. The way the likes of Ba and Cabaye have settled in is quite remarkable. Of the players we lost in the summer, the only one I wish we'd still have is Enrique.

Edited by hostile_statue

Yeah, this season has been very surprising. I was pessimistic in the summer and thought we were destined for the bottom half. The way the likes of Ba and Cabaye have settled in is quite remarkable. Of the players we lost in the summer, the only one I wish we'd still have is Enrique.

Give Santon this season and Enrique will be a distant memory. He will be off to Spain when Liverfool don't qualify for the champions league

Give Santon this season and Enrique will be a distant memory. He will be off to Spain when Liverfool don't qualify for the champions league

I love Santon but unfortunately we have Simpson on the right. And Santon is really a RB. Imagine Enrique on the left and Santon on the right :wank:

best season I can remember for years and some absolutely cracking goals, ba, guthrie, ben arfa, looking forward to matches makes a nice change . At least a top 8 finish and stronger finish to the season with cisse here now

Was on about the goals yesterday with my mate. Seems like the majority of goals we've scored this season have been mint.

Guest CabayeAye

I love Santon but unfortunately we have Simpson on the right. And Santon is really a RB. Imagine Enrique on the left and Santon on the right :wank:

Santon seems to always cut inside when playing at LB, which suggests he is indeed naturally wanting to play on his right foot. Thing is though, he's been remarkably effective when cutting in, and the fact that Jonas likes to come in also maybe isn't a bad thing. Still doesn't solve the right side problem we're having. I think the solution is to sign an outstanding L or RB depending on what Graham Carr can pull out of the bag and use Santon on the other side.

I hate having two righties on the left like. Especially when the righties on the right aren't much cop. Move Jonas over, move Santon over. Sign a left-back and keep Ben Arfa and Marveux competing for the left side.

One signing and I've just made out team world-beaters.

Edited by BestBaNone

Guest CabayeAye

I hate having two righties on the left like. Especially when the righties on the right aren't much cop. Move Jonas over, move Santon over. Sign a left-back and keep Ben Arfa and Marveux competing for the left side.

One signing and I've just made out team world-beaters.

I like having righties on the left, means we are mega strong in the centre when Santon and Jonas cut inside. Through-ball-tastic for Demba2 , instead of the lumped balls into the box for Carroll to get his heed on.