NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

I'm not saying that we should just stick him in our reserves but surely if he's already proven in the championship, that should be the lowest level we let him play at? League 1 makes no sense at all to me. Especially as we've often sent players to that level and they've never come back and made it with us.

I used to believe that loaning a player out to a lower league would be beneficial, since he would get "match practice" but I've come to realize that the lack of quality training, the lower level of play (ie hoofing the ball in the lower divisions) etc has actually the exact opposite effect on a young footballer.

I'd hope he would be used in a few League Cup matches and possibly EL matches if they aren't as consequential as others. We have enough matches to use a proper rotation

Edited by colinh9

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get this. We have a wage structure and a ong-term vision in place. My assumption is that as time goes on, the wage cap increases as does our revenue. It might not lead to glory but it's a respectable way to run a football club- unlike Manchesters, Chelski etc . Don't even get started on La Liga :D

Anyway- time to get in a striker or two, some cover in mid/defense and Debuchy :D

Mong term vision?

Mong term vision?

Heh- well with everyting with Man Utd lately you can see it's not a stable way to run a football club. Unfortuantely, we aren't owned by sheiks or Russian billionares.

That's not an all out defense of Ashley. There are still things he has gotten utterly wrong but at least you get the sense that certain things have turned around and are logical.

I'd agree tbf. While I think some things are a cack handed disaster, it's hard to complain finishing 5th.

I'd agree tbf. While I think some things are a cack handed disaster, it's hard to complain finishing 5th.

No doubt. There is absolutely no necessity for the Sports Direct bullshit. It's a total disaster and a cheap stunt.

However, you have to be happy with the current model. The years of buying idiots like Michael Owen are over and that's a good thing. We are building something solid here, and even if we get rid of a Tiote for 20 million this year- you hope that it puts us on a long-term path to strengthen. Now, if in 5+ years, we are still selling our best players then it really becomes an issue.

I think one of the issues, and I know I fall into this mind-set, is that the 5th place finish may push our expecations up by a few years. Meaning, I was happy with steady progress before last season. Now I want to win a Cup. :lol:

Edited by colinh9

The years of buying idiots like Michael Owen are over and that's a good thing.

You say that like we were spending £16m on a dud every year. The only comparable transfer we've ever made is Shearer. In hindsight we can all say we shouldn't sign the likes of Owen. It was seen as a risk at the time, but excited most people on here. However, its best to realise we'll not see another shearer type deal either, and that's a bad thing.

http://www.insidefut...e-stance/65076/

Somehow or other I really don't think we'll be signing Luuk de Jong....

Borussia M seem to be a similar type of club to ourselves atm. They have a ground that holds 54k, had a good season last year and are in the CL, They got relegated a few seasons back, they've won fuck all for donkeys years etc.

Looking at our squads though, ours shits all over theres. We seem to be getting linked to lots of the same players atm

Borussia M seem to be a similar type of club to ourselves atm. They have a ground that holds 54k, had a good season last year and are in the CL, They got relegated a few seasons back, they've won fuck all for donkeys years etc.

Looking at our squads though, ours shits all over theres. We seem to be getting linked to lots of the same players atm

The main difference apart from CL is that he would be going there as their main man up front since they sold Marco Reus to Dortmund, if he comes here he's likely to be stuck out on the left if Ba goes or rotated if he doesn't.

His agent said last week that his decision will be made on playing time and style of play rather than money.

Santon on Debuchy:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/7880692/Santon-would-welcome-Debuchy

"Debuchy to Newcastle? I am calm," Santon told calciomercato.com.

"Pardew had told me that he had thought about playing me on the right, but also that another right-back would come.

"Debuchy or whoever is welcome, especially if it is a good player who can help the team. Then, we'll see who the coach decides to pick.

"I know Roma are looking for a right-back and they showed interest in me some time ago, but Newcastle immediately refused to give me up.

"That's okay for me because I have familiarised myself in England and I have no plans to move. I've only been here for a year and it is too early to pack up and come back to Italy."

Well that's the way the club is set up. Can't blame players for seeing us for what we are. When Keegan wanted to sign Sami Hyppia he was laughed out of town by Dekka...."where's the resale value in that deal?".

Don't get me wrong, you can go on long way with this policy, see Lyon for most of the last decade.Anyway, I thought everyone was on board big Mike's fun bus?....dont want any dissent on here now...

Well that's the way the club is set up. Can't blame players for seeing us for what we are. When Keegan wanted to sign Sami Hyppia he was laughed out of town by Dekka...."where's the resale value in that deal?".

Don't get me wrong, you can go on long way with this policy, see Lyon for most of the last decade.Anyway, I thought everyone was on board big Mike's fun bus?....dont want any dissent on here now...

Aye, as it is we can't be the peak of ambition for an international footballer

Players like cabaye, cisse and debuchy would stay if the club continued to grow and do better though

Aye, as it is we can't be the peak of ambition for an international footballer

Players like cabaye, cisse and debuchy would stay if the club continued to grow and do better though

Thing is for the club to grow we'll have to sell them at some point. Income is down on all fronts compared with a decade ago. Spurs make more through commercial income etc. So we'll sell and buy to try to keep up with the rest that way. Best not get too attached to certain certain players if they're doing well for us, they more than likely won't be hanging around too long.

I not getting into all that shit.

If we continue to sign good players, keep the best of the ones we have and do well on the pitch then I'm happy.

We've no sold anyone yet.

If we continue to sign good players, keep the best of the ones we have and do well on the pitch then I'm happy.

We've sold Best and Guthrie, both who played a fair chunk of the games last season, and have also released Smith, Lovenkrands and sold Forster.

I'm not particularly sad to see any of them go but we need another 4 or 5 in to replace them. We were struggling for players with 3 competitions last year. 4 competitions with 5 players fewer is asking for trouble.

Best didn't feature after Cissé arrived so we are only down Guthrie and we have a range of young midfielders ready to step up and Marveaux to come back. Plenty of time to sort out what we need too.

"Strength in Depth" is the key to any good team

currently we have strength in our fully fit starting XI, and barely any depth/numbers let alone a selection of strong players as backup

We don't know how Taylor will come back from his injury/if he'll stay fit, williamson is not a starting CB standard, if simpsons off we're left with Taylor or perch for cover (if we sign debuchy), if the demba's beat ivory coast, we're going have Shola up front on his lonesome for a month or so.

The minimum we need is a CB,RB(or LB), and a striker (a good one) and even then with injury we're back to being up against it.

The section of the league we're aiming at (and finished in last year) demands you have cover, quality cover, without it you nosedive, last year we got exceptionally luckily injury wise for a change.

Yep. If we had lost Ba before xmas or Cisse after xmas we probably would have finished mid table.