Gone Fishing

The Fish

"Done this loads of times" you're such a bullshitter Fish, did you tell them you were a moderator here too? :P

I told them I didn't fuck your mum. :huff:

You're welcome to, I didn't realise things had got that bad for you mate.

:lol: To be honest, and I'm sure in the cold light of sobriety I'll regret disclosing this, but I've just squared away a shag with an ex when I revisit Leeds in May :good:

Fucking hell, sound like a reet bunch of ballbags. hope we stuff them now like.

Btw, great thread this. Don't get disheartened by them lot, i really enjoyed reading the 'pool answers and look forward to ones in the future... if anyone can be arsed to do it.

I went to my first NUFC game in 1983 and I can honestly say I've no real memories of Swansea, good or bad. They just don't register on my radar at all. They're a Welsh version of Charlton to be honest. Didn't realise they had such a chip on their shoulder about 'fucking Newcastle'.

It's a good read. Most of the respondents came across as level headed. The exception probably was in relation to Daglish.

It was interesting to see a lot of them are balanced on 90% of the subjects, but Dalglish seems to be untouchable and they all toe the party line re: Suarez. Fwiw, I have read the rerport summary and I'm not sure where they get half of the stuff the claim it says. For example it states fairly blatantly that Suarex was not a credible witness and that Evra was, that Suarez used that term 7 times and not in a genial way so to say that "where he's from it's a friendly term" its bollocks. The way I read it, it'd be like a Klansman trying to say he was using the term "nigger" in the same way as gangsta rappers do; as a term of endearment. It just doesn't stack up. More than this though is their 100% assertion that he's not a racist. Every single one of them states categorically, Suarez is not a racist. It's just weird. It'd be like, when he was playing for us, Newcastle fans stating that Bowyer wasn't a horrible little racist. He is, despite not being found guilty, he blatantly is.

I've moved on from this now, he was found guilty, and that's the end of it for me, but it leaves a bitter taste still.

As far as summary's go Fish, they usually tell the story an investigating panel wants to be told, without the discrepancies on view. The Warren Report for example (only using this because it's one of the most blatant and famous examples)the summary said loan gunman with a political chip on his shoulder, no evidence of conspiracy, 26 volumes though showed hundreds of discrepancies and contradictions, and also opened up an industry for conspiracy investigators.

I haven't read the 115 page Suarez report, but I've read loads of passages from it that have been sifted by LFC fans who understand better than me the workings of these type of panels, and the wordings of such reports. Maybe I read too many and my view became obscured, but I do firmly believe that Evra lied and got away with it.

Here's a thread that might help, anyone interested, understand where Liverpool fans were coming from.

http://forums.liverp...s-Suarez-report

Edited by Pacinofan

It was interesting to see a lot of them are balanced on 90% of the subjects, but Dalglish seems to be untouchable and they all toe the party line re: Suarez. Fwiw, I have read the rerport summary and I'm not sure where they get half of the stuff the claim it says. For example it states fairly blatantly that Suarex was not a credible witness and that Evra was, that Suarez used that term 7 times and not in a genial way so to say that "where he's from it's a friendly term" its bollocks. The way I read it, it'd be like a Klansman trying to say he was using the term "nigger" in the same way as gangsta rappers do; as a term of endearment. It just doesn't stack up. More than this though is their 100% assertion that he's not a racist. Every single one of them states categorically, Suarez is not a racist. It's just weird. It'd be like, when he was playing for us, Newcastle fans stating that Bowyer wasn't a horrible little racist. He is, despite not being found guilty, he blatantly is.

I've moved on from this now, he was found guilty, and that's the end of it for me, but it leaves a bitter taste still.

As far as summary's go Fish, they usually tell the story an investigating panel wants to be told, without the discrepancies on view. The Warren Report for example (only using this because it's one of the most blatant and famous examples)the summary said loan gunman with a political chip on his shoulder, no evidence of conspiracy, 26 volumes though showed hundreds of discrepancies and contradictions, and also opened up an industry for conspiracy investigators.

I haven't read the 115 page Suarez report, but I've read loads of passages from it that have been sifted by LFC fans who understand better than me the workings of these type of panels, and the wordings of such reports. Maybe I read too many and my view became obscured, but I do firmly believe that Evra lied and got away with it.

Here's a thread that might help, anyone interested, understand where Liverpool fans were coming from.

See it's this that I don't understand. What did Evra lie about? There's footage of Suarez using the term. He has admitted to using the term. He's claimed that it's not racist, but is in fact, a bit of banter. Experts state that in the context of a competitive game and the manner of the delivery makes such a claim ludicrous.

At best you can say he's a horrible little shit who didn't think before he spoke (like the teenage idiots on twitter who call Stan Collymore a n*gger and a coon and the like), at worst he knew fine well what he was saying was offensive and harbors racist tendencies. I don't believe anyone can, for one second, claim that he said the term without meaning offence.

Even if Suarez had called Evra a rabbit 7 times in the manner in which he did it'd be clear that he meant offence.

I swear to God if this was Fellaini calling Johnson a Sambo, then claiming that in his culture it's not offensive, you'd be up in arms. Just like you'd be calling for Roy Hodgson's head if he had a string of results like Kenny has... ;)

Liverpool football club is famous for many things, it's tremendous domestic and european history, it's great players from past and present, but right now, across the country it's renowned for other things

1. They will never admit they're wrong
  2. They will claim they are, in fact, the victim
  3. They've an arrogance in the league that carries zero water
  4. They will never hear a bad word said about one of their players, nor their city

They've handled this season appallingly, Dalglish and his terrible football wouldn't have been tolerated if it wasn't Dalglish. There's no way Benitez would be permitted that kind of expenditure on players with such little reward in the league, Suarez is a vile human being and yet you ask a Liverpool fan and he's hard done by. There are still Liverpool fans who insist there's a conspiracy that rob them (ironically) of results and key decisions. Total victim fantasy land

Literally no humility and no grace. That journo summed it up when he said "Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing".

I know this sounds partisan, or jealous, or bitter or whatever. It's not I just geuninely have yet to find a Liverpool fan who conceds that Suarez is a shit, concedes that Dalglish is shit, concedes that they're as far away from winning a title as we are.

To put it into context? You ask a Geordie about how they felt when we signed Bowyer, or how embarrassed they were when Taylor went down like he'd been shot, or where our place is in the league. I swear to God it's a more realistic world than every scouser I've ever met.

(As a caveat, I've not met all scousers)

See it's this that I don't understand. What did Evra lie about? There's footage of Suarez using the term. He has admitted to using the term. He's claimed that it's not racist, but is in fact, a bit of banter. Experts state that in the context of a competitive game and the manner of the delivery makes such a claim ludicrous.

At best you can say he's a horrible little shit who didn't think before he spoke (like the teenage idiots on twitter who call Stan Collymore a n*gger and a coon and the like), at worst he knew fine well what he was saying was offensive and harbors racist tendencies. I don't believe anyone can, for one second, claim that he said the term without meaning offence.

Even if Suarez had called Evra a rabbit 7 times in the manner in which he did it'd be clear that he meant offence.

I swear to God if this was Fellaini calling Johnson a Sambo, then claiming that in his culture it's not offensive, you'd be up in arms. Just like you'd be calling for Roy Hodgson's head if he had a string of results like Kenny has... ;)

Liverpool football club is famous for many things, it's tremendous domestic and european history, it's great players from past and present, but right now, across the country it's renowned for other things

4. They will never hear a bad word said about one of their players, nor their city

They've handled this season appallingly, Dalglish and his terrible football wouldn't have been tolerated if it wasn't Dalglish. There's no way Benitez would be permitted that kind of expenditure on players with such little reward in the league, Suarez is a vile human being and yet you ask a Liverpool fan and he's hard done by. There are still Liverpool fans who insist there's a conspiracy that rob them (ironically) of results and key decisions. Total victim fantasy land

Literally no humility and no grace. That journo summed it up when he said "Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing".

I know this sounds partisan, or jealous, or bitter or whatever. It's not I just geuninely have yet to find a Liverpool fan who conceds that Suarez is a shit, concedes that Dalglish is shit, concedes that they're as far away from winning a title as we are.

To put it into context? You ask a Geordie about how they felt when we signed Bowyer, or how embarrassed they were when Taylor went down like he'd been shot, or where our place is in the league. I swear to God it's a more realistic world than every scouser I've ever met.

They are your opinions Fish, doesn't mean they are right or wrong. I disagree totally with most of what you've written, but I won't debate opinions, we're all entitled to them.

There was no video evidence in the Suarez case Fish. Evra was shown the match video and was asked to point out what was said at which point. Even then he had to do it 3 times because of his mistakes. Suarez wasn't shown the match video at all, and whereas Evra gave his evidence within a week or two after the match, Suarez wasn't questioned until much later, and without the match video.

BTW, wasn't that ashamed phrase first put on a banner by Celtic fans to Rangers or visa versa, and then used on an Evertonian banner?

Edited by Pacinofan

good post.

Edited by ADP

I think you'll find, that as The Fish says, those are the opinions held on Liverpool by many people across the country. Just look at any number of football message boards/letters pages etc across the Internet. They are of course generalisations but it is undeniable that these are popular views.

good post.

spot on, one of the best post I've read on here for a while.

I think you'll find, that as The Fish says, those are the opinions held on Liverpool by many people across the country. Just look at any number of football message boards/letters pages etc across the Internet. They are of course generalisations but it is undeniable that these are popular views.

When you say many across the country LL I have to say I don't see it. I've travelled the country extensively and not come across these views very much at all. The internet isn’t real life, and I’ve read many things on it, good and bad, about Liverpool and it’s people, I don’t set great store by either. Footy sites are full of bile and hate about many things, but there are sites where people talk normal about other towns, cities and people.

Here’s an American guy whose passion was the Industrial Revolution, so he planned a visit taking in various northern cities, Liverpool being one of them. He found he loved England and Liverpool in particular, there’s no –one on the thread warning him that Liverpool’s a dump, or Scousers are scum.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1455347&highlight=liverpool

I’ve also been involved in quite a few projects in the city over the years, and I’ve met hundreds of people from other parts of the UK, and the rest of the world, and 99% of them absolutely rave about the city and its people, always say they can’t wait to come back. I take notice of people like that who’ve actually chosen to spend money to come here, rather than some people on the internet

I have to say, I reckon the accents got an awful lot to do with it at the end of the day on a subconscious level. Jamie Carragher for instance, part of a Liverpool crime family and one of Liverpool hardest men and he sounds like a five year old girl. Gerrard too.

That's pretty standard for Scouse males generally and in my submission it's a perfectly natural reaction for anyone from outside of the area with a normal male register (ie several octaves lower) to get both annoyed by it and to be distrustful of it in equal measure. As Stevie might put it, to look down your nose at them as a result.

I have to say, I reckon the accents got an awful lot to do with it at the end of the day on a subconscious level. Jamie Carragher for instance, part of a Liverpool crime family and one of Liverpool hardest men and he sounds like a five year old girl. Gerrard too.

That's pretty standard for Scouse males generally and in my submission it's a perfectly natural reaction for anyone from outside of the area with a normal male register (ie several octaves lower) to get both annoyed by it and to be distrustful of it in equal measure. As Stevie might put it, to look down your nose at them as a result.

do you mean "pitch" rather than "register?"

When you say many across the country LL I have to say I don't see it. I've travelled the country extensively and not come across these views very much at all. The internet isn’t real life, and I’ve read many things on it, good and bad, about Liverpool and it’s people, I don’t set great store by either. Footy sites are full of bile and hate about many things, but there are sites where people talk normal about other towns, cities and people.

Here’s an American guy whose passion was the Industrial Revolution, so he planned a visit taking in various northern cities, Liverpool being one of them. He found he loved England and Liverpool in particular, there’s no –one on the thread warning him that Liverpool’s a dump, or Scousers are scum.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1455347&highlight=liverpool

I’ve also been involved in quite a few projects in the city over the years, and I’ve met hundreds of people from other parts of the UK, and the rest of the world, and 99% of them absolutely rave about the city and its people, always say they can’t wait to come back. I take notice of people like that who’ve actually chosen to spend money to come here, rather than some people on the internet

Thing is PF you've dragged that particular article out before as "proof" that not everybody thinks scousers are whiny bastards. You state your opinions like I'm basing mine on heresay and conjecture. I've been to Liverpool plenty, I've spoken to innumerable scousers, I've spoken to Liverpool fans til I'm so filled with contempt I have to leave.

Your reactions to my accusations back up my accusations. You won't admit that Dalglish has fucked your club this season, you won't admit Suarez meant offence when he used that term, you refused to be ashamed of the way your club went on (the t-shirt debacle for starters), you produce an article to "prove" your city isn't predominantly a shithole rather than concede that while some parts are nice others are shit.

Honestly it's like you're making my argument for me. If you were seeking to prove me wrong you'd point to your position and performances in the league as evidence that Dalglish isn't the man for the job, you'd point to Suarez' character in every game he plays as evidence that he's not the hard done by victim you and your fanbase try to paint him and you agree that Liverpool does not have a god given right to the top four, no more than Newcastle has a God given right to it or Spurs, or Chelsea or Arsenal or Man U or anyone else.

The league doesn't lie, Suarez' character didn't change for that one match (turning from cheating, diving, whining prick to angel) and Liverpool (quite simply) aren't the League force they were 20 years ago.

I'm happy to go find Villa fans, Spurs fans, Chelsea fans, Arsenal fans, Fulham fans who'd agree with me if you really don't believe Liverpool are viewed the way I proclaim.

I'm all for loyalty, and I'm all for local pride, but when it's worn with blinkers it matters not a jot. It's exactly the same as those idiots who state sunderland is as nice a city as Newcastle, or the Millwall fans who claim they're as important a club as West Ham, or the Newcastle fans who state as fact we're going to be back in Europe like we deserve that right.