If we finish in the top 4.....

Dr Gloom

I think you're right, wasnt happy at first but on reflection I think the odds are just about still in our favour. That said, with all the players missing out on the final, they will be revved up for the league game.

Not think they'll opt for a similar approach in the final? I think if they play Bayern, they'll certainly try and sneak a 1-0 in a similar fashion to tonight (thought Bayern won't commit quite as many men forward). I actually think we'll see a relaxed approach to the league game from them and they'll put their eggs in the CL basket. There's less variables if they turn up focused for the CL final, no matter the efforts of us and Spurs, they win that, they're back in it.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they'd struggle if they tried similar tactics against Madrid or Bayern, with the way Robben and Ronaldo shoot from range the latter especially will hammer them with shots from outside the box. Whereas Barca faffed on trying to pass their way into the box.

With all the players missing from the Final, these players will certainly play more in the League. Not the best thing for us on that front.

They'd possibly be better served by playing the players who they will need to play in the final together before the match to give them some time to gel. Of course doing that you expose two risks - (i) picking up an injury, and (ii) confirming that they are indeed quite poor players. They still of course have the FA Cup match as another distraction.

03/05/2012 - Newcastle vs Chelsea

05/05/2012 - FA Cup Final Chelsea vs Liverpool

Surely they'll be resting many of their more influential players in our game so that they're fit and fresh for the FA Cup Final?

overall its not a terrible result for us. Would have been easier if they lost but there is both an upside and downside to them making it through.

1. they will be "forced" to use some of their strongest players against us because they cant play in the final; but thats not to say they would have done that any way. However they may still save them given that they have to play in the FA Cup final 2 days later.

2. The fact that they make it through means that they will hopefully have the "delusion" that they can win the CL and perhaps thats their way in, caring less about getting 4th in the PL. Its probably better for them to chase the double rather than try for 4th and possibly miss anyway with 2 teams ahead of them.

3. With our current form i definitely do not fear them. I think that the way we are playing now we can take all 3 points from them.

I think you're right, wasnt happy at first but on reflection I think the odds are just about still in our favour. That said, with all the players missing out on the final, they will be revved up for the league game.

We have to beat Everton and Wigan and then get a win from either Chelsea or ManC. I'm very confident we can do ManC at SJP.

Chelsea are away to Liv last game, might be KD's send off game.

Edited by Park Life

I think it' far from terrible. End of day were in 4th with 4 games to go. I'm delighted whether we get Champions League or not.

Absolutely, as carried away as I'm getting, I fully expect a uefa league spot. That is still a fantastic achievement. Anything better's a bonus.

On the plus side, if there was any chance of anyone getting complacent about being 4th and finishing in a CL spot then the fact that our target is now 3rd place should ensure that they give 100% until the last day of the season.

One that didnt get us there in the first place.

You tend to regard anyone carrying your family out of a burning house with kinder eyes if it werent for the fact that he set fire to it.

good analogy to Toonpacks absurd post.

Talking of managers, didn't Shepherd and Hall recruit a manager who respected the club so much he chose to commute from Amsterdam rather than live here?

it was only a matter of time before someone mentioned the Halls and Shepherd, although mancmag doesn't refer to them by name when he makes his stupid insinuations that anybody but the players and manager are responsible for losing 2 FA Cup Finals against the Champions, and missing penalties in a Champions League decider, etc etc, and any other big games that they actually qualified for in the first place. Any old stick to beat them with.

They also appointed Keegan and Bobby Robson , who gave the club everything in terms of effort, committment and results for the vast majority of the time they owned the club, but obviously they don't count.

That manager you spoke about, with his previous club, won the FA Cup and they were in the quarter final of the Champions League and were 3rd in the premiership. He respected the club so much he waived his pay off too when he walked out/resigned/sacked [whatever really happened], and the vast majority were very happy with this appointment at the time, a lot more than Joe Kinnear in fact.

Edited by LeazesMag

As for Chelseas remaining fixtures, it could go either way. They could be buoyed up or they could play with one eye on the Final. The suspended players will know its their last games of the season, I expect John Terry will actually lift his head and give these games everything, he's a cunt but he's that sort of player, he's a leader.

One thing for sure, and we know from bitter experience, is that you can't play league games at half pace and expect to pick up the pace in a one off Cup Final. Winning is a habit that you get into and the more you do it the better the momentum, but that is up to the manager to assess his players state of mind and motivations.

As for Chelseas remaining fixtures, it could go either way. They could be buoyed up or they could play with one eye on the Final. The suspended players will know its their last games of the season, I expect John Terry will actually lift his head and give these games everything, he's a cunt but he's that sort of player, he's a leader.

One thing for sure, and we know from bitter experience, is that you can't play league games at half pace and expect to pick up the pace in a one off Cup Final. Winning is a habit that you get into and the more you do it the better the momentum, but that is up to the manager to assess his players state of mind and motivations.

Fear is half the fear. ;)

You always agree with the forum thicko's :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

you always agree with the skunkers and the non-matchgoer thickos :lol:

Edited by LeazesMag

Chelsea are very poor. They certainly aren't a team to fear.

Apart from Mata, there isn't a single player in their midfield/strike force that I would have starting for us.

I know they are in the Champions League final but they have been distinctively lucky throughout.

Edited by Flair

Don't think Chelsea will field a full strength squad for rest of PL games either. I know they are depleted anyway from injuries and suspensions, but I reckon we've got a good chance at their place.

I reckon the non match goers have, on average, a significantly higher IQ than the match goers.

Make of that what you will.

thought you had me on ignore :lol:

Chelsea are very poor. They certainly aren't a team to fear.

Apart from Mata, there isn't a single player in their midfield/strike force that I would have starting for us.

I know they are in the Champions League final but they have been distinctively lucky throughout.

Im not worried at all about them tbh, they look so clueless when around the box of the opposition.

If they start torres vs us I will live bet on us winning, he is awful.