Obertan or Marveaux

LeazesMag

Marveaux seemed to be coming good before his injury anyway to me

looked capable of more end product and intelligent play than Obertan

taking you off ignore for this one leazes. nice to see you trying a different posting line for once. keep up the good work!

obertan for all his pace and tidy close control, looks a bit of a donkey to me. time is on his side of course so too early to say he won't come good but he doesn't look to have a football brain. sometimes that just can't be coached into some players, despite having the raw attributes to succeed and potential, which obertan clearly does. he's got pace to burn and his close control at times looks quality.

i'm more optimistic about marveaux if i'm honest. possibly because i haven't seen as much of him. what i've seen though i've liked. looks pacey too and seems to have a better delivery on him than obertan. still probably too early to tell on him too for sure but the signs are more promising. his injury record isn't the best either so we'll have to wait to see if he gets a proper run in the side.

This one is easy, Marveaux has more potential in his right toe than obertan has in his entire body.

Obertan is a goner, consider him a sunk cost and get rid.

Marveaux looks very tidy, lets hope he doesnt turn into another Hargreaves injurywise.

Marveux if he can stay fit, but I've serious doubts. Obertan has pace and there's so many times he'll pick the ball up and I expect him to simply run the full-back and whip it in Gillespie style, but he does something else, stupid instead. Too often he does the wrong thing, as has been said I don't think his weaknesses can be coached out of him.

Marveaux has been class previously and has shown glimpses here.

Obertan has pace and has also shown some decent stuff and is still very young.

What you can not discount is the Pardew effect. If he can transform Rtaylor and Perch, then who is to say he cant get more out of Obertan?

As things stand however, I would prefer to see Marveaux start than Obertan.

In his one start I thought Marveaux looked very promising at home to Everton.

I won't write off Obertan, he seems a bit dense at times, but while he's on our books and not causing any bother he needs supporting, not booing, groaning or cheering when he's subbed off. He's had a couple of assists and an important goal for us though. His pace really stretches the defences, especially away from home.

Marveaux has been class previously and has shown glimpses here.

Obertan has pace and has also shown some decent stuff and is still very young.

What you can not discount is the Pardew effect. If he can transform Rtaylor and Perch, then who is to say he cant get more out of Obertan?

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot force it to drink.

I liked what I saw of Marv, but kinda blinked and he was gone. Need to see more of him. Mr Potato head is clearly a confidence player who's confidence is shot. Dont mind him staying but needs a lot of work.

Obertan looks utter shite, but that's what we are all saying about Perch a year ago and he's come good.

Marveaux has been pretty much what's on the tin: a talented crock. Hopefully he has a Ben Arfa-esque renaissance next season.

In his one start I thought Marveaux looked very promising at home to Everton.

I won't write off Obertan, he seems a bit dense at times, but while he's on our books and not causing any bother he needs supporting, not booing, groaning or cheering when he's subbed off. He's had a couple of assists and an important goal for us though. His pace really stretches the defences, especially away from home.

yeah I agree with that.

Which goal was important, the overtime goal vs blackburn? Cant remember but werent we winning that match anyway?

The overtime goal was good. But if it had been a pk wormburner from the three point zone it'd have been more important imo.

both is good enough to hold the bench warm as back-up for jonas and ben-arfa. I too believe there is more to come from Obertan, but perhaps as a striker? I've seen him bang in those goals at reserve matches.

People say that because Perch's form has improved, Pardew can do the same for Obertan. Perch never hid. He hasn't displayed the lack of mental strength that is in evidence whenever Obertan plays. Even during Perch's first 5 games, which were largely deemed disastrous, I can remember him making a run up the pitch with the ball and having a shot on target from range. Obertan looks lost most of the time. I could see him doing a good job against the European dross we may face next season, but I don't think he'll ever cut it in the PL. Hopefully I'm proven wrong while he's with us.

As for Marveaux, it all depends on his fitness. He is technically competent and is capable of producing more assists and goals than Obertan can. Could make for a good backup to HBA, but then again we can't rely on someone who is often injured.

Perch did blatantly hide when he was playing fullback, pushed miles up the pitch to shed himself of defensive responsibility. He's a different much more focused and disciplined player now - he sticks to the job that he is sent out there to do. I think part of that is a result of having to win his way back into the team.

For Obertan it's all in the head. Marveaux looks very attack minded and I think will be best suited as an impact sub because of that. His injury record unfortunately spams for itself.

Obertan is a young kid, coming from a club where he wasn't favoured and was clearly lacking in some sort of belief. At times, he's looked shite aye but away from home, he's been decent because he breaks well. He's on a 3 year deal; if we're having this conversation next season and he hasn't improved, he'll be sold, a cheap gamble that didn't come off. If he morphs into a canny little player, it's a cheap gamble that worked.

Haven't seen a lot of Marveaux (who has?) but his cushioned assist for Cabaye against Wigan and some tidy play at Everton and Blackburn in the cup suggests a player who is at least good technically and can worry defenders. But really, at this point, comparing the two is a loaded question that invites criticism to Obertan (not that he hasn't deserved any at times).

Bit early for either but Marveaux looks far more talented on limited showings.

Obertan has a fair bit of ability with amazing pace but he just takes the wrong option far too often. Could come good after a while though, a loan where he gets a regular run could do him the world of good tbh. He joined Man U young and barely got a kick. We have nothing to lose if we loaned him out and he played every game, at least we would know exactly what we have.

Aye the sample size in regards to Marveaux is really too small to be of any use, but he does look very tide and sometimes you can just spot quality right away.

With Obertan its often race to the corner flag and back to simpson which is frustrating to no end.

He does have the ABILITY to be a very good winger, he just needs to man up and dare to go on the outside, cut in and cross the ball 45 or 90 degrees. It really isnt hard when you have that kind of technique and pace.

But it looks like he needs playing time for this to happen, and we did give him 20 games - he didnt improve at all... proper catch-22.

Aye the sample size in regards to Marveaux is really too small to be of any use, but he does look very tide and sometimes you can just spot quality right away.

With Obertan its often race to the corner flag and back to simpson which is frustrating to no end.

He does have the ABILITY to be a very good winger, he just needs to man up and dare to go on the outside, cut in and cross the ball 45 or 90 degrees. It really isnt hard when you have that kind of technique and pace.

But it looks like he needs playing time for this to happen, and we did give him 20 games - he didnt improve at all... proper catch-22.

He's not been coached like that though, clearly. He'll check back and try and keep possession if the ball isn't on. If it takes coaching him to play wide right in that front 3 of ours and float around, stretching defenses, he could be canny.