England

LeazesMag

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is Pirlo getting praised for that cheeky chip?

Looks great when it comes off but if Hart had got to it Pirlo would be laughed at.

Yann Kermongant tried that for Leicester in a play-off semi a couple of years ago and never kicked a ball for them again.

Are you kidding?

Roy got it all wrong with the subs. Should have hauled © Rooney off not Welbeck and Young for Walcott. Milner, despite looking shite in the first half, was coming into the game a bit more and had bags of energy. Despite that the fitness levels were not good enough, we were short of any form of back up in central midfield and our orthodox shape did nothing to address the space and time for Pirlo. We created well enough early on to suggest Roy will improve and so will his team I just doubt our system played like that will ever be good enough. The technical talent gap is there but it's not that wide, it's the tactical side of our game which lets us down every time. I don't think we need to do any soul searching though because the good bits were good and the bad bits were as expected. Given our chaotic preparations and general micey-ness throughout the competition, being two kicks away from a semi final is pretty good going.

Something to build on i suppose. I do have reservations about a manger who choose his players for a system rather than a system for his players. Also, the central midfield was woefully lacking in depth and fitness. Parker and Gerrard will maybe take a while to get going next season anyway. Every cloud and all that.

We were shit!!

It's silly to claim we weren't. They looked better than we did, they played better football than we did, they had more possession than we did, they had more chances than we did. We ever looked like we could win but we did by scoring a lucky goal and them having one denied that was definitely over the line. Nevertheless I'll take the win as shitty as we were, I just hope we're not as shitty against the Wops on Sunday.

We were shit once again.

The Wops were all over us like a wet blanket. We couldn't hold onto the ball, we consistantly gave it away. The only good thing I can say is that defensively we held on for grim death in the face of an overwhelming onslaught.

In respect to Hodgson, in preparation for the next World Cup he should jettison the old guard and start grooming the young bloods, NOW!!

if he was my player I'd rather he didn't try it. Simple as that. Too risky.

Tell you what, after Montolivo's miss, Pirlo's ballsy finish put the confidence back in the Italians.

Roy got it all wrong with the subs. Should have hauled © Rooney off not Welbeck and Young for Walcott. Milner, despite looking shite in the first half, was coming into the game a bit more and had bags of energy. Despite that the fitness levels were not good enough, we were short of any form of back up in central midfield and our orthodox shape did nothing to address the space and time for Pirlo. We created well enough early on to suggest Roy will improve and so will his team I just doubt our system played like that will ever be good enough. The technical talent gap is there but it's not that wide, it's the tactical side of our game which lets us down every time. I don't think we need to do any soul searching though because the good bits were good and the bad bits were as expected. Given our chaotic preparations and general micey-ness throughout the competition, being two kicks away from a semi final is pretty good going.

Something to build on i suppose. I do have reservations about a manger who choose his players for a system rather than a system for his players. Also, the central midfield was woefully lacking in depth and fitness. Parker and Gerrard will maybe take a while to get going next season anyway. Every cloud and all that.

I was disappointed that Young stayed on the pitch, I couldn't see what he was doing to merit him staying on the pitch. Milner might not have been making in-roads, but he wasn't giving the ball away as cheaply as Young. I'd have taken off Young for Carroll and swapped Wellbeck to the flank.I get that Parker was on his last legs, but I think he could have made it through the rest of the game. Especially if the ball wasn't coming back at them as quickly as it was. Gerrard was unable to find the long balls he was employing against Sweden and Ukraine because he and Parker spent so much time chasing after the balls were lost on the wings.

I think that Hodgson picked players that were available rather than randoms to fit a system and I don't think he could fashion a better system for these players.

He only plays one system.

I disagree, the system we played against France was different to Sweden.

He played a far more direct approach when Carroll started.

John Terry has decided not to travel back with the rest of the England squad. He's staying on to make an appearance on the winner's podium next Sunday.

Why not, he was the only player who earned his money tonight.

From Elsewhere:

Outside England we've only ever beaten Ecuador, Denmark, Belgium, Cameroon and Paraguay in knock-out football.

5 knock-out wins against middling sides to show for 26 tournaments on foreign soil entered.

Spain have managed the same (against better opposition) in the last 2 years.

The English league is "the best in the world" not because of Englishmen IMO, the "British" player is not anywhere near as good as Johny foreigner and hasn't been (with the odd singular exception) for decades.

Watch any run of the mill game from just about any other major league and the difference in technical ability of the average player is HUGE compared to the Brit players in our top league. I seriously don't know how you fix that.

From Elsewhere:

The English league is "the best in the world" not because of Englishmen IMO, the "British" player is not anywhere near as good as Johny foreigner and hasn't been (with the odd singular exception) for decades.

Watch any run of the mill game from just about any other major league and the difference in technical ability of the average player is HUGE compared to the Brit players in our top league. I seriously don't know how you fix that.

Seems they bring in foreign players to fill specific roles and potentially because of that those areas of the team aren't 'run' by English players. Looks at where the key players in the midfield of the league winning sides comes from - most of them form the attacking spark of the team.

It's good for the overall spectacle, but has definitely hurt the development of an English style of football. That said this was a very weak squad right through the team. A defense that's not particualrly good at distributing the ball, a midfield that has no cohesion or creativity, embarrassing diving wingers, a cranky red head is your best (and dirtiest player) player yet he's retired to be replaced with a cranky balding red head. It's a tough ask for any manager.

From Elsewhere:

Teach children to play football, not to "knock it up to the big lad" at the age of 9, enocuraged by ignorant bellowing parents on the touchline, desperate for their little treasures to win something. That would be a start.

Can't see how anyone can be too disappointed this morning. Played off the park by a very average Italy side. Its just not in our nation's footballing culture to play posession football, despite what the individuals are taught at their clubs. It all seems to go out the window when they put on an England shirt.

We were shit once again.

The Wops were all over us like a wet blanket. We couldn't hold onto the ball, we consistantly gave it away. The only good thing I can say is that defensively we held on for grim death in the face of an overwhelming onslaught.

In respect to Hodgson, in preparation for the next World Cup he should jettison the old guard and start grooming the young bloods, NOW!!

Didn't we have one of the youngest squads there. The old guard - Gerrard and Terry were our best players.

Joe Hart saved all eight shots Italy got on target, but England only retained possession on 15 of his 29 kicks (52%). That said, only Wayne Rooney and Ashley Young completed more passes which finished in the attacking third.

From 442 stats zone

Sam Wallace from the Independant is claiming that Hart had the most completed passes (45)...fuck me, thats depressing if true...

Edited by PaddockLad

I disagree, the system we played against France was different to Sweden.

He played a far more direct approach when Carroll started.

Same system, slightly different tactics. Whether you play it long to Carroll or not, a 4-4-2 gives a lot of space to a deep lying playmaker like Pirlo. I suspect you were only disagreeing through boredom.

We missed ball retention the whole tournament.

Carrick and Wilshire would have helped the cause quite significantly in my opinion. Players like "brave" Scott Parker aren't needed so much at this level. We need players that use their head.

Technically we aren't on the same planet as a lot of the better teams in Europe. Shame, but its something we just have to accept.

We also didnt look fit. Our energy levels were poor from the 1st match.

Edit: Scholes would have been an asset as well.

Edited by Holden McGroin

This tournament will go down as a success as we did better in the group than people thought. In reality we were poor in general.

Gerrard and Terry were the stand out men for us. I didnt want Terry at all, but he has shown me and the others how great he was. I do think though by having a midfield sitting so far back as we did, he was protected though. If Terry had been exposed to any pace at him, we would of been fubar. Last night how many times did we play the Italians on side? Lescott & Johnson, werent too bad.

I like Hodgson, however his decisions to keep on with Young and Milner (I thought the latter had a better games last night) when its clear they were both shite will be one we are asking for a while.

I wasnt dissapointed last night after the initial low because it was expected. If we had beaten the Italians we would of got a dry bumming of the Jormans, nee doubt. We were sat way too deep in every game trying to do a Chelsea CL.

I would of had the Oxo and Walcott on sooner in some games, and would of taken off Rooney last night instead of Welbeck and Young instead of Milner. Pirlo was allowed to boss the game, who was supposed to be marking him?

Oh well, we have the WC to qualify for now! Would Jack Wilshire made a difference? Gerrard and Wilshire? We need some creativity in the midfield thats for sure.