Davide Santon signs a 5 year deal with Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

If this comes off, I'd honestly play Santon at right-back and Ferguson at left-back. Mainly because Ferguson despite his inexperience, will offer us a great deal going forward, especially compared to Simpson who has looked well off the pace.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to have won quite a bit already:

Honours Champions League : 2010 (Internazionale); Coppa Italia : 2010, 2011 (Internazionale); FIFA Club World Cup : 2011 (Internazionale); Serie A : 2009, 2010 (Internazionale); Super Coppa : 2008, 2010 (Internazionale)

So will be nice to have someone with a willing mentality on board. He's got a bit of height as well - 6'1" and from the clips I've watched seems happy playing on either flank.

Without doubt this will be sold as a stepping stone for him.

Seems to have won quite a bit already:

Honours Champions League : 2010 (Internazionale); Coppa Italia : 2010, 2011 (Internazionale); FIFA Club World Cup : 2011 (Internazionale); Serie A : 2009, 2010 (Internazionale); Super Coppa : 2008, 2010 (Internazionale)

So will be nice to have someone with a willing mentality on board. He's got a bit of height as well - 6'1" and from the clips I've watched seems happy playing on either flank.

Without doubt this will be sold as a stepping stone for him.

If Dekka can sell moving from Inter Milan to NUFC in it's current state as a 'stepping stone', then he's a fucking genius.

It's an easy route out of Italian football for the lad, really.

In all seriousness, if we're signing slightly marginalised, but basically talented players at a discount and theres a real emphasis on bringing them on according to their personal needs we can get some good players together. The alternative is very very ordinary 'proven' English players who come at a totally nonsensical transfer premium.

Summarises the approach very well, I think this is precisely what is going on accepting that the bit in italics is hopeful rather than proven (which is why you italicised of course).

Ashley does things his way and this is an innovative gambler's approach, the Toon becoming like the French Foreign Legion (metaphorically and literally it seems). Is this with the hope that one of every two or three will be moved on at huge profit, or is it to build a challenging team in his own way? Almost impossible not to lean toward the former given the conveyor belt of shite but I do believe that Ashley is a narcissist and wants to prove to everyone he can do things, big things, using his own methods; that could of course solely be to make the club financially successful. What's left to ponder is is there any vanity in there to get the club competing using his own methods too? Time will tell, but I've lost hope myself.

Edited by trophyshy

Looks like a good buy, as did Cabaye. Shame all the outgoing players negate both of those signings though

Think you've got to start to look at the two things separately though. They're part of two different phases of the clubs history; i) when we spent money (Barton, Enrique, Nolan, (panic premium) Coloccini) and, ii) now we don't (Ben Arfa, Tiote etc). The last lot wont come down on wages so they'll be away provided someone will pay them more. Coloccini will go in a year if he's still in demand by other clubs, there'll be no footballing decision involved. It's a phasing out, so really from a footballing point of view the test is only about who comes in the other way.

Looks like a good buy, as did Cabaye. Shame all the outgoing players negate both of those signings though

Think you've got to start to look at the two things separately though. They're part of two different phases of the clubs history; i) when we spent money (Barton, Enrique, Nolan, (panic premium) Coloccini) and, ii) now we don't (Ben Arfa, Tiote etc). The last lot wont come down on wages so they'll be away provided someone will pay them more. Coloccini will go in a year if he's still in demand by other clubs, there'll be no footballing decision involved. It's a phasing out, so really from a footballing point of view the test is only about who comes in the other way.

Good sensible post that.

Guest Your Name Here
In all seriousness, if we're signing slightly marginalised, but basically talented players at a discount and theres a real emphasis on bringing them on according to their personal needs we can get some good players together. The alternative is very very ordinary 'proven' English players who come at a totally nonsensical transfer premium.

Summarises the approach very well, I think this is precisely what is going on accepting that the bit in italics is hopeful rather than proven (which is why you italicised of course).

Ashley does things his way and this is an innovative gambler's approach, the Toon becoming like the French Foreign Legion (metaphorically and literally it seems). Is this with the hope that one of every two or three will be moved on at huge profit, or is it to build a challenging team in his own way? Almost impossible not to lean toward the former given the conveyor belt of shite but I do believe that Ashley is a narcissist and wants to prove to everyone he can do things, big things, using his own methods; that could of course solely be to make the club financially successful. What's left to ponder is is there any vanity in there to get the club competing using his own methods too? Time will tell, but I've lost hope myself.

Didn’t the club dispense with most the coaching staff this summer?

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle...79310-29192039/

Edited by Your Name Here

All will be replaced, though, with United holding interviews with two candidates to replace Bunn this week.

If Bunn has been replaced it'll be someone on less dough.

Total guesswork but I think he believes you can get to around 6th on very modest wages/transfer outlay. I reckon Pardew reinforces that message too. If you absolutely get the basics right, I actually think that's possible too. Mackems will spend tens of millions but they're basically getting shafted so as long as you're playing the market more cannily than that level of rival then you can reach the top of that pack. The pack above that is not an option because that is a different wage structure altogether, you can't enter that club unless, as an individual owner, you're actually prepared to risk absorbing huge personal losses. He's not and in all honesty, why should he be? Obviously that forms the basis of the argument for him to sell up, but we know that's not going to happen either while there's no buyers.

For the present I'm almost convinced he feels you can pick up better players by operating in an 'alternative market' by focussing on the traditionally cheaper leagues or, exceptionally, the out of favour talents in the dearer leagues. The big spenders literally wont even contemplate the latter players as they want someone who will be performing from day one, and in the former market we'll always have a chance unless a bigger spender is in too. It's an exercise in casting the focus onto areas of the market which are overlooked/ignored by the top spenders.

Was thinking about policies/culture rather than personnel. You could be right though, I'm not making the point categorically that they're achieving this, I'm just saying what I think it'll need to generate the right results using that approach.

LardAsh: "Ooh la la, Del boy, ooh la la. Siynin anatha Frenchie with this Santon lad. lubbly jubbly."

Dekka: "Er, he's Italian, oh masterful one *lick, slurp, suck*

LardAsh: "Wotcha faakin mean? He's cawwd Daveed, ya maag. French innit"

Dekka: "He's Italian though" *swallows*

LardAsh: "TALYAN !!!???? TELL IM TO FAAK OFF"

Seriously though, I'm all for getting 'cheaper' options if they are dynamic and skillful. However, I would have preferred to see a manager who can make the team play to their strengths i.e. pass and move, one-touch pacy football. Sadly, and I hope I'm wrong, I don't see Parsnip as that man.

Oh, and one swallow doth not a team make. Striker, LB (I've got this French/Italian kid as RB) and CB please.