Mathieu Debuchy

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delighted if this comes off although I am not getting my hopes up as of yet.

I know our squad is weak but I still hope we sell Simpson even for a couple of 100k and have Tavernier as backup as I can't stand seeing Simpson in our shirt anymore.

Two points

I thought it was the Lille president who refused to sell in the summer after putting the "agreed" price up.

Secondly, I gather lots are happy about this but for those who watch him, what are we getting. I think I understand he had a decent Euros and is decent going forward, but what is he like as a defender? Who is he like?

Thank fuck we won't see Simpson again. A CB now please, arguably even more important to strengthen there

To be fair, at least we know we'll have Steven Taylor back soon. Simpson pretty much is our only option at RB, regardless of injuries to others. Maybe Tavernier can do a job there, I'm not so sure.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

what was it 500k? :D how many points would not having simpson on equate to in league places and consequently more money

well done fat mike, still need a certre half and striker, wonder who else is leaving

This has pretty much been my argument with a couple of toon fans in the area as to where ashleys transfer policy has fallen flat for me this season.

Whilst last season we weren't breaking the bank and managed a respectable finish - we were very lucky in the fact that we kept a pretty much core squad throughout bar a couple of injuries, and looking at the money spent by those in and around the spot we eventually finished in - it looked like we had found a good balance between money spent and ambition/performance.

Fast forward to this year, and its been nothing but a shambolic disappointment! We've had no end of excuses out of the tail end - and whilst all of them hold some merit the one thing for me that really for me over-rides every single time we've heard 'the players are tired, busy schedule, no real luck on the day' is the fact that ashleys willingness to spend (or not in this case) WAS off balance last year, we were just lucky not to be found out.

During the summer if the reports were to be believed we were close to signing this bloke, all but for the sake of another million or two. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the bloke bar what i've read on these boards, i'm not even going to go as far as to say that he could be any better than anyone in our back four at the moment. But what i will say, is that right now we have a major defensive issue that isn't just pinned on underperfomance by individuals, I will be first to admit that i'm in every match thread screaming for walking penalty williamson or stand off simmos heads for their unbelievable inability to perform basic defensive duties, but when it comes down to it no matter what they decide to pin it on the answer can always be lay at the feet of the owner not covering the squad with at least a signing or two for depth.

Whether its the fact the back 4 havent had much of a break - whether its personal life getting in the way of the game, whether it's having people playing with a knock/out of position or straight up they are playing shit of lately, the fact we were not willing to drop another million or two in for another player when it was painfully obvious we needed the cover is unacceptable.

Not suggesting we need to be splashing out whatever the going rate is for players at the drop of a hat, but we needed cover and whilst ashley may be a business man first and foremost - surely even he can look at times when results havent gone our way due to pretty much individual defensive error and see that the points we have dropped can NOT be worth saving a million or two in the transfer window, when you are sat 2 points from the relegation zone.

Despite the fact we are in this shite position i DONT think we'll drop this season, too many much much worse performers than us out there, and if we spend some cash this window and get that cover we desperately need in place, then fair play - dont leave it so long next time.

Stoke, fulham, Man utd, Arsenal - all games that we played actually pretty decent in (compared to the first half of the season) and all games where we surrendered the lead/draw in the very final stages of the game to defensive cock ups undoing the hard work of the rest of the squad.

I just hope we keep the players we need to and get the right cover in to start grinding some results out and seeing some games off til the end - despite the results i've quite enjoyed watching us for the majority of the last few games, we are getting there slowly but surely and even the pundits are saying we are not quite getting the return for all the effort we put in that we deserve - but right now we are in a worse spot than the relegation season, and as nice as the 'plucky newcastle entertaining games and they work really hard' image is? It doesnt give points, and i'll take that over anything else right now.

Two points

I thought it was the Lille president who refused to sell in the summer after putting the "agreed" price up.

Secondly, I gather lots are happy about this but for those who watch him, what are we getting. I think I understand he had a decent Euros and is decent going forward, but what is he like as a defender? Who is he like?

A bit like a young Wayne Quinn.

Two points

He's like Mark Stimpson on steroids.

How is it that we've consistently weakened the team since losing Woodgate in Sir Bobby's era? We must have one of the smallest squads going, it's always a case of one in, one out, never strengthening the depth of the squad with decent, quality players. As well as that as soon as we have any players that are not deemed world class by some people they end up getting rid of them instead of keeping them for squad cover - surely players like Simpson (if he's the sort of player people are discussing) would be better served as a rotational player if possible? Otherwise the team's constantly getting smaller.

If we don't get a good three, maybe four first team players in this transfer window we're just confirming the lack of ambition that most people know Fat C*nt has - I'll be amazed if we come out happy at the end of it.

How is it that we've consistently weakened the team since losing Woodgate in Sir Bobby's era? We must have one of the smallest squads going, it's always a case of one in, one out, never strengthening the depth of the squad with decent, quality players. As well as that as soon as we have any players that are not deemed world class by some people they end up getting rid of them instead of keeping them for squad cover - surely players like Simpson (if he's the sort of player people are discussing) would be better served as a rotational player if possible? Otherwise the team's constantly getting smaller.

If we don't get a good three, maybe four first team players in this transfer window we're just confirming the lack of ambition that most people know Fat C*nt has - I'll be amazed if we come out happy at the end of it.

Simpson thinks that he's far too good to be on the bench though.

Two points

Malcolm Brown crossed with Ian Davies

Chris Hedworth and John Bailey combined.

@Gene Clark, I'm sure CT knows Stimma by his nickname of Jason Donovan instead.

and if it all goes to shit, Christmas Tree can walk away from Newcastle United, in the same way he accidentally stumbled upon them as a hobby in early middle age; with no understanding of the history & culture of the club or region, no comprehension of the nature of the emotional involvement involved in following a club & no realistation of how much the likes of him are despised by every NUFC worthy of the name.

his kind are worse than those who become NUFC fans post 92 as a way of making money out of the supporters

Like everyone the first thought is why the bloody hell not do this in the summer.

But I'll just be happy about the prospect of Simpson not having a future here. Ok not happy, absolutely bloody delighted!! :dance:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20871096

"Newcastle have agreed a deal to sign defender Mathieu Debuchy from Lille, according to the Press Association.

The Magpies were linked with the French international right-back, 27, during the summer following his performances at Euro 2012.

The fee is believed to be in the region of £5m and the move is set to be completed once the January transfer window opens.

Newcastle signed midfielder Yohan Cabaye from Lille in June 2011.

Debuchy played in all four of his country's games at Euro 2012 and has 13 senior caps.

Danny Simpson, 25, currently plays at right-back for Newcastle, so Debuchy's signing could put his future on Tyneside in doubt as his contract expires in the summer and he has yet to agree a new deal."

and if it all goes to shit, Christmas Tree can walk away from Newcastle United, in the same way he accidentally stumbled upon them as a hobby in early middle age; with no understanding of the history & culture of the club or region, no comprehension of the nature of the emotional involvement involved in following a club & no realistation of how much the likes of him are despised by every NUFC worthy of the name.

his kind are worse than those who become NUFC fans post 92 as a way of making money out of the supporters

The voice of the people has spoken