Euro 2012 Catch-all Thread

Definitely didn't happen. Capyured non nobles were just killed. If terms were accepted they would be unmolested. Studies show that the arrows of the bowmen may noyt have been as affectual as previously thought with there hand to hand fighting in the mud being the deciding factor.

I just hate Stevie Gee and like him looking a cath word.

Read it some time ago, Agincourt by Juliet Barker is an excellent read btw.

BTW - The arrows cost the equivalent of £1.00 a pop in modern money, an absolute fortune. Harry pawned just about everything to fund his expedition.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two fingers thing may be a myth according to Stephen Fry on Q.I & other assorted smartarses, but has anyone come up with a logical alternative to it's origins?....a myth with a strong element of truth to it iyam.

because of the strong taboo associated with the gesture (its public use has often been heavily penalised). As a result, there is a tendency to shy away from discussing it in detail. It is "known to be dirty" and is passed on from generation to generation by people who simply accept it as a recognised obscenity without bothering to analyse it... Several of the rival claims are equally appealing. The truth is that we will probably never know...

—Desmond Morris.

I couldn't give a fuck if it's the worst game in history and John Terry scores a 95th minute winner, runs to the camera and starts shouting racial expletives personally. I mean it as well. People who want France to win should be deported.

Woke up this morning with the inevitable massive surge of patriotism that catches me off guard on first game of major international tournaments after making snide remarks throughout the preceding fortnight about how I don't really care about the national team. Howay England wipe that smirk of Blanc's face!

Replace massive surge with tinge and thats where Im at. Also has the added benefit of seeing a couple of Newcastle boys in action so it will get watched.

No NUFC players for England = Alles les Bleus

Never want England to win if no NUFC involvement, just another London team.

Spend most of the year despising the bassa's, just because they pull on a different shirt means nowt to me.

I enjoy International football tournamants to watch but otherwise = meh !

Only England team I care for/follow is the cricket team.

I couldn't give a fuck if it's the worst game in history and John Terry scores a 95th minute winner, runs to the camera and starts shouting racial expletives personally. I mean it as well. People who want France to win should be deported.

I actually hope that happens, just to see Adrian Chile's analysis.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

:lol:

"Well I was expecting a b word and a c word but not both together with french, Roy thoughts on John Terry's celebration..."

"Well he's only saying what half the country is thinking so he is..."

The two fingers thing may be a myth according to Stephen Fry on Q.I & other assorted smartarses, but has anyone come up with a logical alternative to it's origins?....a myth with a strong element of truth to it iyam.

because of the strong taboo associated with the gesture (its public use has often been heavily penalised). As a result, there is a tendency to shy away from discussing it in detail. It is "known to be dirty" and is passed on from generation to generation by people who simply accept it as a recognised obscenity without bothering to analyse it... Several of the rival claims are equally appealing. The truth is that we will probably never know...

—Desmond Morris.

According to Jehan de Waurin (who was at Agincourt - his brother and his father were killed fighting for the French, he himself later fought for the English !!) writting 20 years after the fact about Henry's speech before the battle:

“…And further he told them and explained how the French were boasting that they would cut off three fingers of the right hand of all the archers that should be taken prisoners to the end that neither man nor horse should ever again be killed with their arrows. Such exhortations and many others, which cannot all be written, the King of England addressed to his men”.

No mention of gestures in any of his writing.

It took three fingers, not two, to draw a longbow. Draw weight's about 100lbs.

you know QI has a team of researchers dont you? its not just Fry sitting there coming up with questions off the top of his head

who are your picks for todays games stevie?

Patriotic double (mainly because the gulf isn't that great and we're a fair price at 5/2) England and Ukraine. The double is 15/2 I think that's a nice price.

you know QI has a team of researchers dont you? its not just Fry sitting there coming up with questions off the top of his head

Yeah thats the point...research/science/records can only reveal so much,that which is indisputable, but sometimes you have nothing to rely on other than what has been passed down, which is what the Desmond Morris quote sort of refers to. Bottom line is no one knows, but Fry and his muckers cant sit there and say "no its bollocks, didnt happen". Records suggest that to be the case,apochrophyl oral history suggests not. For me, theres a germ of fact in all myths.

According to Jehan de Waurin (who was at Agincourt - his brother and his father were killed fighting for the French, he himself later fought for the English !!) writting 20 years after the fact about Henry's speech before the battle:

“…And further he told them and explained how the French were boasting that they would cut off three fingers of the right hand of all the archers that should be taken prisoners to the end that neither man nor horse should ever again be killed with their arrows. Such exhortations and many others, which cannot all be written, the King of England addressed to his men”.

No mention of gestures in any of his writing.

It took three fingers, not two, to draw a longbow. Draw weight's about 100lbs.

Fair enough, but three may have become two over time, especially if/when it eveolved into a hand signal. Regardless, its a fuckin great myth, like Hitler only having one ball etc...they all serve a purpose, propaganda, psychological,positivity in the face of adversity etc..

:lol:

"Well I was expecting a b word and a c word but not both together with french, Roy thoughts on John Terry's celebration..."

"Well he's only saying what half the country is thinking so he is..."

:lol:.

Hope we batter them the night, 2 good sides the French are better but we're still a well drilled solid side. My head says the French will win but as many have said the 21 match unbeaten streak doesn't mean much at a tournament, hope Cabaye and co have an absolute nightmare love the bloke but I think he'll be a key player for France the night so we need him to have an off game.

Hitler having balls is a myth. His reproductive system resembled more that of a plant, specifically an angiosperm.

That why he liked lying on his back underneath a glass coffee table whilst Eva did a poo on it... for fertiliser?

Playground mythology at its finest.

Edited by ADP

i'm definitely supporting england but i'm far less excited or bothered than in previous tournaments. the no-show in south africa combined with some of the odious twats playing for the side have combined to leave me feeling largely apathetic towards them. i'll probably jump on the bandwagon if we get past the group stage tough. i won't even see the match tonight as i'll be at work. i'm definitely far from one of those soopa fan types who insist they'd rather toon won a throw in than england win a trophy.

i'm definitely supporting england but i'm far less excited or bothered than in previous tournaments. the no-show in south africa combined with some of the odious twats playing for the side have combined to leave me feeling largely apathetic towards them. i'll probably jump on the bandwagon if we get past the group stage tough. i won't even see the match tonight as i'll be at work. i'm definitely far from one of those soopa fan types who insist they'd rather toon won a throw in than england win a trophy.

If you won £71m on euromillions and got voted in a Europe wide poll as Europe's sexiest man, I doubt you'd feel too much excitement personally.

France and Sweden to win tonight then :razz:

France and Sweden to win tonight then :razz:

Haha you were building up to that.

England Team to play France

Hart

Johnson Terry Lescott Cole

Milner Parker Gerrard Oxlade-Chamberlain

Young

Welbeck

Pleasantly surprised Downing has been left on the bench for AOC. There's plenty pace from the three of them up front and wide.

Just over 1 hour to go, I'm excited.

For the record, it's now no longer cool to hate England and support France. Just makes you look like a wanker.

Awesome that Ox-C is playing ahead of Downing. We'll see how good the much fancied Debuchy is when he come up against a half decent winger with pace.