Depression

wykikitoon

No, I bet you remember people who didn't know him saying he must have been depressed. I'm sure certain characters on here made on the spot diagnoses as well......with the help of google.

Whereas his family and close friends said he wasn't depressed.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I bet you remember people who didn't know him saying he must have been depressed. I'm sure certain characters on here made on the spot diagnoses as well......with the help of google.

You've lost that bet sniffer

Surely though you dont discuss taking your own life if you are not depressed?

That's the point. The two don't necessarily go together

We'll have to agree to disagree then. In my opinion Gary Speed, with all he had achieved, possessed and was still achieving. To be talking about committing suicide he must have been in a depressed state.

Not sure what else you are getting at. Perhaps you could be more specific about why he would discuss such a thing if not depressed?

You need to have a word with yourself you daft cunt. Believing the shite that comes out of the media.

Why then believe he is dead? His family could be further recruits in the long line of fake mourners to perpetrate something more sinister.

His wife gave evidence at the inquest that he would threaten to kill himself when they argued and had sent texts to her days previously threatening the same thing. Whether it was depression or attention- seeking nobody will ever know. What is absolutely clear is that no matter what any 'hero' may have as their public persona may actually bear little or no resemblance to the real person in private. We're very quick to defend our heroes, but ultimately they are human beings, with all the bad habits, insecurities and foibles that we all have.

The 'man the fuck up' comments show some don't really understand about depression.

I agree about the FB thing though, I would be too paranoid to be signed off for something like that then letting everyone see me having a good time as I would know they wouldn't understand it.

I dunno really... with the man the fuck up comments (I said I manned the fuck up earlier in this thread) it depends on why you are depressed. For example the lass at my work really could take control of her life and it would aleviate the anxiety and depression... she is depressed due to not taking life head on and making the best of it and wanting everything on a plate rather than working for it.

Chemical inbalances etc are a different type of depression and no manning up will change that. I suffered from severe migraines and one was so bad it left me with sight problems for a few months (still only about 85% better about 2 years later), and because it was so severe the docs put me on anti-migraine pills to stop them ever happening again. Worst couple of months of my life as I just felt sooo depressed and like I wanted to just cry constantly all day every day (I never ever cry)... had to eventually come off the pills and just take my chances with the migraines as they just altered my chemical balance so badly that I couldn't cope with any sort of minor set back or things not quite going to plan.

Andy no offence, but you're not a doctor so you don't know if that's the reason she is depressed. Plus it's a lot easier to say to someone just take grasp of your life and you will be fine.

Some people can't even get out of bed on a morning so to say to them snap out if it is a highly ignorant statement to make.

I think it's one of those things where you can obviously have a view on it, because I've got experience of knowing people who've suffered from it and so on, and in some case they didn't help themselves at times, but you never really know what's going on in someone else's head / with their lives etc. I'm sure some people do take the piss a bit and probably need a rocket up their arse but I think you should always try and be sympathetic about it on whole. I also think it's a much better state of affairs now that it's much more acceptable to talk about stuff like this and seek help.

Ruminating on things from your past gets an awful lot of people down and it can become a habit. Sexual abuse is a lot more prevalent in a lot of people's childhoods than I would have guessed. I suppose it's not something you talk to your mates in the pub about like.

I went into mental health work cos it was a job at the end of the day. I was dubious about a lot of it. 6 years in and I've had my eyes opened about a lot of things and I'm a lot slower too judge people these days. (Apart from on here obviously)

I think it's one of those things where you can obviously have a view on it, because I've got experience of knowing people who've suffered from it and so on, and in some case they didn't help themselves at times, but you never really know what's going on in someone else's head / with their lives etc. I'm sure some people do take the piss a bit and probably need a rocket up their arse but I think you should always try and be sympathetic about it on whole. I also think it's a much better state of affairs now that it's much more acceptable to talk about stuff like this and seek help.

How comfy's that fence? You spend an awful amount of time on it.

(I agreed with everything you say though, just being a dick)

How comfy's that fence? You spend an awful amount of time on it.

(I agreed with everything you say though, just being a dick)

It's not easy being this wise. In fact, it's a burden more than anything else.

As someone who recently has learned the extent of depression that one of my close relatives has suffered with for almost all of their life without any of the rest of us having a clue it existed, I am well placed to confirm that you're talking absolute guff Wolfy!

Wiki - no need to apologise, your unbelievable levels of ignorance is no longer a surprise tbf.