Depression

wykikitoon

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fwiw wyki seems like a good lad to me but I wouldn't sign up as a Samaritan if I was him.

God, imagine Wyki working at a Samaritans call centre, not only would every caller leap to their peace, but the pain his coworkers would suffer at his hands.... :o

Ruminating on things from your past gets an awful lot of people down and it can become a habit. Sexual abuse is a lot more prevalent in a lot of people's childhoods than I would have guessed. I suppose it's not something you talk to your mates in the pub about like.

I went into mental health work cos it was a job at the end of the day. I was dubious about a lot of it. 6 years in and I've had my eyes opened about a lot of things and I'm a lot slower too judge people these days. (Apart from on here obviously)

Not taking the piss (for a change) but I have a lot of admiration for people who do work like you do.

Andy no offence, but you're not a doctor so you don't know if that's the reason she is depressed. Plus it's a lot easier to say to someone just take grasp of your life and you will be fine.

Some people can't even get out of bed on a morning so to say to them snap out if it is a highly ignorant statement to make.

I do because she's spoken to me about it a lot as she sees me as someone she can confide in... her issues are that as a kid she had everything handed on a plate to her, no cares in the world and just went out with her mates all the time. Now she has a job she hates, no money, has to fend for herself and aspires to have a life and life style that is unobtainable.

She's not in such a state she can't get out of bed... that's a severe depression, she just can't cope with being an adult who has to work hard and be responsible for herself if she wants the lifestyle she is used to.

No I'm not a doctor but I know the lass well, I know what bothers her and why she's anxious / depressed.

Very true. How do you know she isnt on anti migraine tablets too and is like sooooo depressed Andy?

Is that supposed to be a dig or something? Can't really work out the tone of that reply but make no mistake that the side effects of drugs that restrict the production of seretonin in the brain can lead to some pretty awful states of depression

Definitely made J69 a better poster too.

Unless people have experienced mental illness first hand or in a loved one, or are professionals in the field, I'd say you should shut the fuck up. That's my wisdom for today.

Definitely made J69 a better poster too.

Unless people have experienced mental illness first hand or in a loved one, or are professionals in the field, I'd say you should shut the fuck up. That's my wisdom for today.

I agree with this cockblaster.

Is that supposed to be a dig or something? Can't really work out the tone of that reply but make no mistake that the side effects of drugs that restrict the production of seretonin in the brain can lead to some pretty awful states of depression

Surely you can see the irony in you having suffered from low mood and knowing how awful it is yet accusing the lass at work of just needing to pull herself togethe?

I think it's one of those things where you can obviously have a view on it, because I've got experience of knowing people who've suffered from it and so on, and in some case they didn't help themselves at times, but you never really know what's going on in someone else's head / with their lives etc. I'm sure some people do take the piss a bit and probably need a rocket up their arse but I think you should always try and be sympathetic about it on whole. I also think it's a much better state of affairs now that it's much more acceptable to talk about stuff like this and seek help.

It's not so much a rocket up the arse they need but support and teaching on how to cope with life when it doesn't work out how they wanted / expected it to.

The lass at my work is on a waiting list for councelling... this shouldn't be the case and it should be much more readily available. Some people need help and support to find their feet and work out how to attain the things in life that they want, and more importantly how to cope with not having what they think is important (usually material things).

The main thing is that everyone is in control of their own lives, but some people sit and bemoan their existance instead of taking control and improving things... support and councelling is an important factor in achieving this.

Surely you can see the irony in you having suffered from low mood and knowing how awful it is yet accusing the lass at work of just needing to pull herself togethe?

As I already stated though I believe there's a big difference between being depressed due to circumstances and chemical inbalances... the later is an impossible state of affairs to change just by taking control of your life.

The lass at my work is on a waiting list for councelling... this shouldn't be the case and it should be much more readily available.

A family member of mine went to the doctor and was diagnosed with depression. She told the doctor that she didn't want anti-depressants and would much prefer counselling but was told that the waiting list was so long that she would be waiting well over a year and to take the pills. Anyone know how long it takes to get talking to a counselor on the NHS for someone who has 'mild' depression?

It's not so much a rocket up the arse they need but support and teaching on how to cope with life when it doesn't work out how they wanted / expected it to.

The lass at my work is on a waiting list for councelling... this shouldn't be the case and it should be much more readily available. Some people need help and support to find their feet and work out how to attain the things in life that they want, and more importantly how to cope with not having what they think is important (usually material things).

The main thing is that everyone is in control of their own lives, but some people sit and bemoan their existance instead of taking control and improving things... support and councelling is an important factor in achieving this.

My fault for not making myself clear but take this lass (just guessing, I don't know her), or a mate of mine. They probably needed a rocket up their arse years ago instead of being spoilt as a kid, put it that way. That doesn't take away from the fact he had a very real period of serious clinical depression but I do think his childhood was probably a factor given he was absolutely ruined. He's a mental health nurse now as it happens.

Shields has 36 counsellors on the NHS, many of them Band 7s earning £40k pa.

The waiting lists are a lot shorter now (days/weeks as opposed to months) but they only see cluster 4s and below ie. No severely depressed people, no personality disorders, no bi polar, no psychosis, no drug and alcohol issues.... Basically the only people they do see are the worried well who can be managed by a GP or CPNs.

Typical NHS bureaucracy . The service is there and costing a fortune but their referral pathways exclude half the people that need them before they even get through the door

A family member of mine went to the doctor and was diagnosed with depression. She told the doctor that she didn't want anti-depressants and would much prefer counselling but was told that the waiting list was so long that she would be waiting well over a year and to take the pills. Anyone know how long it takes to get talking to a counselor on the NHS for someone who has 'mild' depression?

Depends what its for I think.

When my mother passed away I got counselling through my GP with relate, however they dont do greivance counselling any more. I got an appointment prerry quickly.

My fault for not making myself clear but take this lass (just guessing, I don't know her), or a mate of mine. They probably needed a rocket up their arse years ago instead of being spoilt as a kid, put it that way. That doesn't take away from the fact he had a very real period of serious clinical depression but I do think his childhood was probably a factor given he was absolutely ruined. He's a mental health nurse now as it happens.

We should send him and J69 on a date.

Yeah definitely... children need to learn to stand on their own to feet at a young age else it leaves them unable to cope with life later in life. I've known a few people like this tbh

Depends what its for I think.

When my mother passed away I got counselling through my GP with relate, however they dont do greivance counselling any more. I got an appointment prerry quickly.

I can imagine with grievance counselling that it's a bit more time sensitive than general depression. I must tell her to go back and get the doctor to put her on the waiting list, better to be on it than not.

I would also add another mutual mate was extremely cynical about the whole thing, finding it particularly fishy that this lad was fine and well when he was taking Gary Abbletts and smoking loads of dope at university but suddenly developed the condition within weeks of getting a job with the DSS :lol:

I can imagine with grievance counselling that it's a bit more time sensitive than general depression. I must tell her to go back and get the doctor to put her on the waiting list, better to be on it than not.

The NHS won't see you for grievance counselling until 6-12 months after the death. It's a natural reaction and needs to run its course unfortunately.

I would also add another mutual mate was extremely cynical about the whole thing, finding it particularly fishy that this lad was fine and well when he was taking Gary Abbletts and smoking loads of dope at university but suddenly developed the condition within weeks of getting a job with the DSS :lol:

Being on a Metro passing through Longbenton / Four Lane Ends any time between 3-6pm and seeing the state of the escapee slumped-shouldered platform inhabitants is testament to this theory .

The NHS won't see you for grievance counselling until 6-12 months after the death. It's a natural reaction and needs to run its course unfortunately.

I was referred 4 months after, but then again it was 6 years ago now.