Depression

wykikitoon

What Gemma said.

People who are affected badly by grass tend to already be prone to psychological issues.

However excessive dope smoking causes more activated seretonin receptor sites that need feeding. When you cut down or stop the dope, it can cause anxiety and irritability and sometimes feelings of detachment as the receptor sites go wanting. This passes after a few weeks.

If you're smoking one or three joints a week however it don't matter.

The way society works these days and the breaking down of old networks of social cohesion are a far greater trigger to depression IMO. There is a sense that the working class and the lower middle class have been demonised and marginalised and all their old forms of social interaction have been colonised by a rampant consumer culture, the best example being football.

Edited by Park Life

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depression is a national symptom of capitalism, authoritarianism and inequality.

I think if suitably inclined I could assemble a compelling argument that consumerism increases the likelihood of depression (along with many other problems) tbh.

It's a fast, hard, succeed, buy now, want this, fuck you world we live in, and if you don't have the mettle to 'suck it up' it could easily suck you up.

I've got nowt to say about depression, but the term "fastest growing" shouldn't mislead.

If there was 1 person with depression before and now there are 2, then the incidence of depression has doubled.

If 2 million are suffering from diabetes and 50,000 more are diagnosed that's only a 2.5% growth.

Obviously diabetes would be the bigger problem in that case. I don't know the numbers in reality, but I guess it's a depression awareness campaign using "fastest growing" to raise the profile of their charity.

As understanding of mental illness improves and diagnosis improves we're bound to detect it more often and see a growth in numbers faster than physical diseases easier to diagnose historically. That doesn't mean more people are suffering.

There are 2 main types of depression in my experience, Endogenous and Situational.

Endogenous is a naturally occuring depression that can be crippling and can come on for no reason at all.

Situational depression is usually a product of situational factors in someones life. A relationship breakup, financial problems, a death in the family etc.

Both have the same symptoms, anxiety, lack of motivation, poor sleep, poor appetite and, in certain cases, thoughts of self harm and/or suicide.

Fleeting thoughts of suicide are fairly common for a lot of people believe it or not. You start to get more concerned when they think of how they would do it (Overdose, hanging, jumping off a bridge) and it's probably time to look at coming into hospital if they have made preparations by collecting tablets etc. It's still fairly rare that people go through with it though.

The picture is clouded by the emergence of more and more personality disorders who display a lot of similar symptoms and self harm behaviours but tend to be after the attention and chaos rather than being genuinely depressed.

Added to this is the new breed of super scum who have clicked on that you can make £600 a month on DLA and a bit extra on the top selling your Diazepam on the street. A quick google can tell you the symptoms of depression/psychosis and some people are very good at saying exactly what they need to to leave you no choice but to bring them into hospital and leave them 'unable to go back to work'

The NHS is doing it's best now to move people towards IAPT (counselling/therapy) as an alternative to anti-depressants. Unfortunately an awful lot of GPs have very little experience of mental health problems and bar sticking someone on an anti-depressant (a bit too quickly a lot of the time) they are stumped and tend to hoy people our way inappropriately.

So to summarise, depression is very real, it's probably more prevalent currently due to the shit state of the country, rising bills, rising unemployment, rising alcoholism etc. It's a get out clause for a lot of people too..

Drug induced psychosis amongst teenagers is one of the biggest emerging problems in Shields atm though

Ive got a few mates that I'm sure are manic depressive. Proper highs and lows

Unless they are off spending £10k they haven't got on a shopping spree, or talking to strangers in bus stops for 6 hours straightjust to be friendly it's probably not manic depression/bi polar disorder

Drug induced psychosis amongst teenagers is one of the biggest emerging problems in Shields atm though

My cousin had a "psychotic episode" smoking dope and is now hospitalised. His parents won't talk to the rest of the family about it too much, theyre heartbroken; he was playing for Scotalnd u21s at rugby at the time, its really sad. Do you know what sort of treatment he may be getting? its been going on years now, we dont really know whats happening.

Latest research suggests cannibis doesn't cause psychosis, it tends to be amphetamines. Main treatment is usually medication unfortunately. The plus side is modern anti psychotic medication has a lot fewer long term side effects than the old school meds. A lot of people recover for long periods and live productive lives with the odd blip. Others struggle their whole lives with voices, delusions and hallucinations. It must be horrific. I feel for him and hope he recovers mate

Lass at my work has been off for about 3 months with depression and anxiety attacks... she's stupid enough to post pics on Facebook of her out with her mates on a weekend or at Slaley Hall for a spa day whilst being friends with her boss on there who is seeing all this.

Not the brightest of girls! I do believe she has issues like in all fairness, mainly brought on by the fact she's a bit of a daft bint who aspires to have a life style that is unobtainable with her level of intellegence and qualifications and instead of studying and working hard to get ahead just gives up and gets depressed and anxious.

I used to be pretty depressed in my early 20's... I just smoked lots of dope to cope with it, worked well until it started making me have panic attacks on the metro and not want to leave the house on weekends. I realised that only one person could make things better and that was me. I manned the fuck up, quite the dope, went out and faced life head on and sorted myself out. Glad I did as was in a pretty bad place at the time, but sadly a lot of people blame it on everyone and everything and never taking control of their own destiny and life leads to a self perpetuating cycle of unhappiness.

Tbf she could well be suffering from depression and anxiety problems, some people really struggle in a work environment where you have to be professional. It's a lot easier to be calm and happy when just fucking about with mates, if she is going out the alcohol won't help things but she will be a lot more relaxed and looking at the photos people will think 'Hah, depressed and anxious are you!!' when she could very well be.

From what I've read, there's a link between people with psychological problems and dope-smoking, but it's not been proven to be a causal link. i.e. people with psychological problems are probably just more likely to smoke weed/do drugs as an escape from their problems.

This

Latest research suggests cannibis doesn't cause psychosis, it tends to be amphetamines. Main treatment is usually medication unfortunately. The plus side is modern anti psychotic medication has a lot fewer long term side effects than the old school meds. A lot of people recover for long periods and live productive lives with the odd blip. Others struggle their whole lives with voices, delusions and hallucinations. It must be horrific. I feel for him and hope he recovers mate

Very kind of you to say. As I said his folks have clammed up over it, never mention him so the rest of us have stopped asking. I last saw him on Boxing Day 2010, and he looked older than me,about 10 years his senior. He was able to communicate quite well, and gave me a big hug when he came into the house which nearly finished me. I think his mother wanted him to go into hospital at the time, and it looks like she got her way, but thats pretty much all we know.

Tbf she could well be suffering from depression and anxiety problems, some people really struggle in a work environment where you have to be professional. It's a lot easier to be calm and happy when just fucking about with mates, if she is going out the alcohol won't help things but she will be a lot more relaxed and looking at the photos people will think 'Hah, depressed and anxious are you!!' when she could very well be.

Yeah she defo does have real issues but keeping your boss as friend on Facebook whilst doing these things whilst being off long term sick ain't the wisest of moves

Yeah she defo does have real issues but keeping your boss as friend on Facebook whilst doing these things whilst being off long term sick ain't the wisest of moves

Oh I can definitely see that, I just think if your boss has any sense they will realise the differences.

There was a woman at work signed off with depression, people would occasionally see her in town and go off on massive rants about it as if depression means you stay sat in your room rocking backwards and forwards for 23 hours a day and couldn't possibly ever go out.

Must admit I 100% agreed with you until the wife suffered post natal depression after our last bairn.

The change was quite shocking.

I think when you see otherwise happy folk like Gary Speed top themselves you have to realise there's a bit more to all this.

I wasn't aware that anybody said Speed was depressed so why make that leap?

I'm more inclined to think he topped himself because of a specific issue and that if one person knows why, its his wife. But I don't see why it should be assumed that it was due to depession as he apparently displayed none of the symptoms, IIRC. If he was he did a hell of a job hiding it.

Oh I can definitely see that, I just think if your boss has any sense they will realise the differences.

There was a woman at work signed off with depression, people would occasionally see her in town and go off on massive rants about it as if depression means you stay sat in your room rocking backwards and forwards for 23 hours a day and couldn't possibly ever go out.

My boss is like that, not very sympathetic and doesn't seem to understand which I think makes it worse for the lass and I know she'll be dreading coming back thus continuing the cycle of anxiety. Lots of people don't understand mental health issues and actually make things worse rather than supporting the person, and even worse some people just think it's an excuse and they are taking the piss by having time off.

Still you have to protect yourself and if I were her I'd have deleted everyone from work off facebook a long time ago (I don't have anyone from work on my facebook btw)

I wasn't aware that anybody said Speed was depressed so why make that leap?

I'm more inclined to think he topped himself because of a specific issue and that if one person knows why, its his wife. But I don't see why it should be assumed that it was due to depession as he apparently displayed none of the symptoms, IIRC. If he was he did a hell of a job hiding it.

Pretty sure Speed himself said he was depressed.

My boss is like that, not very sympathetic and doesn't seem to understand which I think makes it worse for the lass and I know she'll be dreading coming back thus continuing the cycle of anxiety. Lots of people don't understand mental health issues and actually make things worse rather than supporting the person, and even worse some people just think it's an excuse and they are taking the piss by having time off.

Still you have to protect yourself and if I were her I'd have deleted everyone from work off facebook a long time ago (I don't have anyone from work on my facebook btw)

The 'man the fuck up' comments show some don't really understand about depression.

I agree about the FB thing though, I would be too paranoid to be signed off for something like that then letting everyone see me having a good time as I would know they wouldn't understand it.

I don't remember that, mind. Because everybody was stunned and couldn't understand why he did it.

Tbf after googling it I think you are correct, I thought I remembered people saying Speed talked to them about his depression but I can't find anything of the sort so might have been a false memory.

Unless they are off spending £10k they haven't got on a shopping spree, or talking to strangers in bus stops for 6 hours straightjust to be friendly it's probably not manic depression/bi polar disorder

That sounds like one mate in particular. Maybe a more mild form of BPD but this kid is either life and soul of the party or miserable, quiet and withdrawn. He goes through spells when he's out all the time then he hides away in his flat on his own for a month of two before surfacing again. He's a fucking odd ball too. Loveable but definitely strange. Mild OCD, Tourette's, he cant sit still for 5 minutes. He's either in your face or asleep , no middle ground. Zero concentration span too.

He used to cain the pills back in the day. I don't think that helped. Definitely not a normal character.

Tbf after googling it I think you are correct, I thought I remembered people saying Speed talked to them about his depression but I can't find anything of the sort so might have been a false memory.

I remembered a lot of people talking about it, pretty much as if it were a given.