Steven Taylor

JawD

We all know we needed a new centre half in the summer. Last year Perch done canny at times when called for and most were nervous about Williamson. The latter has continued his shaky form this year and it more unusual than not to not have both Steve Taylor and Colo fit at the same time. Taylor now looks to be out until next year. Surely we have to bring someone in to compete with Taylor and Colo for a start? I have a horrible feeling they will look at Taylor coming back and think we will be ok and that we have just been unlucky with injuries. Another gamble but this one didnt come off. Wouldnt surprise me to see them gamble again.

Talk of Douglas etc is fine but we know we wont be backed in to a corner on price.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that if we try that free kick to the back post for Williamson to allegedly head across goal one more time I will start ripping seats up and hoying them in the direction of the pitch. Probably.

:lol:

I don't know if this will make you angrier or more accepting.

2ypeue8.jpg

You're spot on about all the long balls going to Williamson. But he does win almost two thirds of his headers, so maybe it's the best bet we have. Ba can only win a third of his headers and Cisse a fifth. The best ratio is Tiote who has won 14 of all 19 headers he has contested this season.

All I know is that if we try that free kick to the back post for Williamson to allegedly head across goal one more time I will start ripping seats up and hoying them in the direction of the pitch. Probably.

:yes:

Forget Douglas. Debuchy/Douglas seem like an old dream now. I'd be happy with signing anyone who can do a job for a game or two without the ultimate fuckery that Willo displays every 15 minutes or so.

Taylor really isn't good enough anyway. We've been expecting him to kick on for years but the reality is, the only time he plays well is alongside Colo. The same true years ago with Bramble and Woodgate dragging him through games.

A top player should be able to play with anyone. Taylor should be backup to two quality centrebacks and that's even without worrying about him being a fucking balsa boy!. Williamson shouldn't even be that (Perch is at least versatile so that makes him worth keeping in the squad) and we should be looking to move him back down to the championship.

We need to buy, it's obvious to anyone with even half a brain. But no doubt the fat cunt won't authorise it come January!

Taylor really isn't good enough anyway. We've been expecting him to kick on for years but the reality is, the only time he plays well is alongside Colo. The same true years ago with Bramble and Woodgate dragging him through games.

A top player should be able to play with anyone. Taylor should be backup to two quality centrebacks and that's even without worrying about him being a fucking balsa boy!. Williamson shouldn't even be that (Perch is at least versatile so that makes him worth keeping in the squad) and we should be looking to move him back down to the championship.

We need to buy, it's obvious to anyone with even half a brain. But no doubt the fat cunt won't authorise it come January!

Aye. After grudgingly accepting Taylor was alright I think I've gone back to my view he's nee good. He's decent as cover and can do a job at full-back in an emergency but apart from the odd spell he's done little to suggest he's got to grips with actually marking his opponent, something I've always been critical of him for. And of course he's always getting injured. Williamson isn't good enough either but I don't think there's a great deal between them which is a bit of a sad indictment on Taylor tbh. And Williamson is still the more honest, in that he actually tries to stick to his man rather than sweeping up behind Krul when he loses him. In a similar way I'd liken them to Robbie Elliot and John Beresford where the latter was more 'Hollywood' and got the plaudits whereas the former was more honest. Although they were both good, solid players.

Aye. After grudgingly accepting Taylor was alright I think I've gone back to my view he's nee good. He's decent as cover and can do a job at full-back in an emergency but apart from the odd spell he's done little to suggest he's got to grips with actually marking his opponent, something I've always been critical of him for. And of course he's always getting injured. Williamson isn't good enough either but I don't think there's a great deal between them which is a bit of a sad indictment on Taylor tbh. And Williamson is still the more honest, in that he actually tries to stick to his man rather than sweeping up behind Krul when he loses him. In a similar way I'd liken them to Robbie Elliot and John Beresford where the latter was more 'Hollywood' and got the plaudits whereas the former was more honest. Although they were both good, solid players.

They were both much better players than either Taylor or Williamson too!

I think it's how much Taylors game picks up when he's with Colo that shows him to be a far better player than Williamson. Williamson just becomes about average whereas Taylors put in some very good performances with him. But with each other they just keep getting worse and worse. Like I said though, it shouldn't take another player to make you look good and unfortunately with Taylor it does.

Our height threat is shocking. Centre halves usually come up for a corner for their aerial prowess but ours are shite.

I also agree that Taylor can be awesome, but when alongside Colo. we need a centre half who can come in, be an aerial threat and remain decent with different partners.

Our height threat is shocking. Centre halves usually come up for a corner for their aerial prowess but ours are shite.

Agreed, but need to get quality of deliveries sorted first, Cabaye can't take a corner.

Edited by ADP

:lol:

I don't know if this will make you angrier or more accepting.

2ypeue8.jpg

You're spot on about all the long balls going to Williamson. But he does win almost two thirds of his headers, so maybe it's the best bet we have. Ba can only win a third of his headers and Cisse a fifth. The best ratio is Tiote who has won 14 of all 19 headers he has contested this season.

Is there also a stat of how many ping straight up in the air off his square fucking head?

Agreed, but need to get quality of deliveries sorted first, Cabaye can't take a corner.

No wonder Barton was kicking off at that Leeds friendly, he must have known.

Last corner we scored from...Wolves beginning of last season?

Bit harsh on Taylor methinks. No doubt he's better with Colo around and not the imposing player we all wished he would but when he burst onto the scene as 17 year old. But comparing him to Willo is an insult. He's miles ahead of him. Thats no compliment anyway.

No wonder Barton was kicking off at that Leeds friendly, he must have known.

Last corner we scored from...Wolves beginning of last season?

Not sure if that's the last we scored from, but Pardew was told in todays press conference that we've scored just one goal from our last 200 corners. Pathetic. He says we've changed our corner routine this week ahead of the Stoke game. I hate short corners, but preferable to floating it towards Williamson's fifty-pence head.

On Taylor, he had the potential to be a great player, but needs wet-nursing by Coloccini and isn't strong enough in the tackle for such a big lad. We don't need back-up for him, we need a 'purple' who he can be back-up to. Hopefully Graham Carr will have someone up his sleeve that Ashley will inevitably not sanction the signing of.

Not sure if that's the last we scored from, but Pardew was told in todays press conference that we've scored just one goal from our last 200 corners. Pathetic. He says we've changed our corner routine this week ahead of the Stoke game. I hate short corners, but preferable to floating it towards Williamson's fifty-pence head.

On Taylor, he had the potential to be a great player, but needs wet-nursing by Coloccini and isn't strong enough in the tackle for such a big lad. We don't need back-up for him, we need a 'purple' who he can be back-up to. Hopefully Graham Carr will have someone up his sleeve that Ashley will inevitably not sanction the signing of.

This. Before he got injured last season he looked like he had ironed out a lot of his flaws and improved massively. This season for me he's reverted to type and is getting turned too easily and seems to be marking space a lot of the time.

This. Before he got injured last season he looked like he had ironed out a lot of his flaws and improved massively. This season for me he's reverted to type and is getting turned too easily and seems to be marking space a lot of the time.

He used to pop up in the box in his "early-years". Even in relegation season I'm sure he scored 3 off the trot. Not that that's important to us, but think his confidence is shot playing next to Williamson and worries about his "Uber-Toon-Man" persona too much.

Perch might've done okay last season, but neither he nor Williamson are good enough if we want to be challenging for European football again. They're both lower premier league/Championship players and it's no wonder Taylor struggles next to them. See how easy he lost the ball on sunday then whinged to the ref whilst play continued.

Perch didn't do OK last season.

He is rubbish anywhere along the back four where he has any responsibility to mark a player plus he is physically weak and no good in the air. He has found a back up spot in the midfield where he always has a player behind him to bail him out.

I'm sure Crouch would just love to see Perch in the back four.

Perch did do ok but you're just letting your hatred of him blind your views. He's definintely not a full-back but has generally done ok playing as either a defensive midfielder or centre half for us.

He is rubbish anywhere along the back four where he has any responsibility to mark a player plus he is physically weak and no good in the air. He has found a back up spot in the midfield where he always has a player behind him to bail him out.

By 'OK' I meant in comparison to how he played in his first season. He's another one who's got this new 'cult status' like the Ameobi's and Ryan Taylor when in reality they aren't Newcastle United standard. If Ryan Taylor didn't score against the mackems he's be another one who is questioned every week.

Regardless of them, Steven Taylor shouldn't be first-choice if we want to progress. (I'm not sure the club do - given the purple player system)

Perch did do ok but you're just letting your hatred of him blind your views. He's definintely not a full-back but has generally done ok playing as either a defensive midfielder or centre half for us.

I disliked Perch when he came and quickly started to think he was shite. Last season I came round a little as he had some canny games but he should be bench at the very best. People like him, Williamson, Simpson should be on their way out of the club if we ever want to "push on".

You stick to your guns mate. Don't let people tell you different. ;)