Steven Taylor

JawD

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're spot on about all the long balls going to Williamson. But he does win almost two thirds of his headers, so maybe it's the best bet we have. Ba can only win a third of his headers and Cisse a fifth. The best ratio is Tiote who has won 14 of all 19 headers he has contested this season.

Demba Ba quite often doesn't directly contest a header, instead looking to put a little pressure on the defender and then anticipate where the ball will go. This has paid off in the past and resulted in goals. He's also not one to blindly compete for a ball just to randomly head it to a defender or on to their keeper (ALA Shola quite often).

Perch didn't do OK last season.

He is rubbish anywhere along the back four where he has any responsibility to mark a player plus he is physically weak and no good in the air. He has found a back up spot in the midfield where he always has a player behind him to bail him out.

I'm sure Crouch would just love to see Perch in the back four.

Agree with you there. He's not good enough on the ball to play full-back in the PL and not good enough in the air to play as a centre-half. He's done pretty well as a central midfielder though, both when he's started and when he's come on to shut down games.

Perch's good centre half performances last season were a mixture of luck and him playing the games of his life. It's not something he could do consistently. He's also terrible as a full back. I do like him as a back up holding man though, he's a massive grafter and I think he's main strength is his tackling - he'll never shirk one and he's no afraid to go in hard. Just back up though, not someone to start every week.

Also, you have to give him praise for his attitude. When he came here at full back he was terrible and the crowd let him know it and there are plenty of players we've had in the past who would have been destroyed by it and only got worse. Fair play to him, he's never hidden.

He also knows his limitations in midfield. Plays it nice and simple. And plays it early and how he sees it. If you were 1-0 down and he saw a lot of the ball he'd be awful.

Personally I think Taylor is a lot better than Williamson. I think Taylor has ability, when he's got a steady run of games, he's alright. First half of last season was probably the best four months of his career, he was brilliant in some games, and I don't buy the fact this is purely down to Coloccini dragging him through games. Where he lets himself down is, when he loses his discipline and makes stupid mistakes. I remember when he got sent off against Tottenham about 4 years ago, he was trying to be all Beckenbauer at the back, lost it and committed a professional foul. I think the errors in his game are no where near as bad as Bramble's were, and I think he is far better than Williamson. Kevin Scott was a better centre half than "Willo", his performance against Swansea was as bad as it gets for a centre half, and we'd be better off with Perch in there till we sign someone, if we're nice to Mike, and massage his ego enough to spend £1.5m on a new centre half for us.

You see, I remember Bramble having a few spells in his Newcastle career where he's looked better than Stevie T ever has. And he had more ability than Taylor too. Probably even thicker as well, if you can your head round that.

Edited by Alex

Dont think anyone could argue otherwise stevie. Williamson is a complete liability for anything than else than the occational grapefruit flying through the air needing clearing. Watching him with the ball at his feet is like watching someone in a wheelchair climb up on a toilet-seat.

Steven Taylor is a good defender, the problem is his injuries - which is why he should be backup at best.

Dont think anyone could argue otherwise stevie. Williamson is a complete liability for anything than else than the occational grapefruit flying through the air needing clearing. Watching him with the ball at his feet is like watching someone in a wheelchair climb up on a toilet-seat.

Steven Taylor is a good defender, the problem is his injuries - which is why he should be backup at best.

I'd like to see all these posts from last season where you sageley pointed all this out :lol:

You see, I remember Bramble having a few spells in his Newcastle career where he's looked better than Stevie T ever has. And he had more ability than Taylor too. Probably even thicker as well, if you can your head round that.

Bramble had as much ability as almost any centre half, his long balls, weren't long balls, they were cultured 50 yard straight to feet passes. Ability was never his problem, switching off was, his concentration and lack of confidence when the chips were down, clearly were major deficiencies in his game. You'd think someone with a 15 and a half inch cock would have all the confidence in the world too.

I just don't like Williamson end of story, not just his football, I don't like him. He's like a giddy schoolgirl at a Robbie Williams concert, when he goes to Old Trafford, Emirates, Stamford Bridge etc.... "dream come true to play at these grounds". There's no better ground than SJP, and to treat going to these venues like a Stevenage player going to a Premier League ground gets on my tits no end. The sad truth is we have few people within the club who value it, like FFS did, like Shearer did, like Gary Speed did, we have no one now who understands how big this could be, with the incessant message from Ashley and Pardew to understate who we are to dampen fans expectations. Cunts.

Bramble had as much ability as almost any centre half, his long balls, weren't long balls, they were cultured 50 yard straight to feet passes. Ability was never his problem, switching off was, his concentration and lack of confidence when the chips were down, clearly were major deficiencies in his game. You'd think someone with a 15 and a half inch cock would have all the confidence in the world too.

:lol: Aye, he has a sweet right foot. Ages ago I likened him to Forrest Gump whereby I think he couldn't stop hitting those 50+ yard cross field passes because he liked staring at them as they sailed through the air.

"We can't compete with the spending power of Tottenham" was a personal favourite. Bigger ground, larger fanbase, richer owner (albeit one who won't spend). We could compete with their "spending power" we just refuse to. That's the top & bottom of it.

Williamson's been out of his depth since the day he signed. Think it was Norwich away last season, him & Perch as centre-halfs were embarrassing. That performance alone should've been enough for Pardew & Ashley to realise we needed another "Purple" in that position. Watch tonight when Colo gets the ball, Williamson will point for him where to play it, never to him. I rarely put down one of our players, but he's just not good enough for this club if we want to progress.

Remember Pardew saying something along these lines last season "Mike knows his football, he keeps saying to me 'When are you going to sign a centre-half?' ".

Why would I point out that Williamson is shit, its plain for everyone to see.

Never rated him.

I dont do knee-jerk.

No you do fake outrage leading to wind up. You do claim to have said all this on here last season,but you didnt, as HF began to point out the other day.

Remember Pardew saying something along these lines last season "Mike knows his football, he keeps saying to me 'When are you going to sign a centre-half?' ".

:lol: forgotten about that golden nugget

I wish someone could ask Pardew about that quote now.

No you do fake outrage leading to wind up. You do claim to have said all this on here last season,but you didnt, as HF began to point out the other day.

:lol: I have claimed to have said Williamson is shit but I havent? Everyone knows he is shit, why bother.

Find a quote of me waxing lyrically about Williamson the next Maldini, or fuck off.

Mike knows his football. I refuse to acknowledge that anyone who grows up without supporting a club, knows anything about football. He's from Buckinghamshire, the most pointless county on these islands, fucking Aylesbury, such a non-event of a place. Worst night out I've ever EVER had.

:lol: I have claimed to have said Williamson is shit but I havent? Everyone knows he is shit, why bother.

Find a quote of me waxing lyrically about Williamson the next Maldini, or fuck off.

No, you claimed you said on here last season that the Pardew was shite and the players, with one or two exceptions, were shite. Am saying I dont remember anyone having major complaints about anything.

I said that we served up very poor performances last season and that people had to look behind the results and look at the performances as that is the true indicator of how a team is progressing.

Many on here - understandably from being starved on success - ignored me and were just happy to win no matter what ( which is also fair enough) and refused to look deeper into it.

The wondergoals and wondersaves papered over the cracks, but we had this coming and it has now arrived.