Gay Marriage in Churches

Christmas Tree

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I can't get my head around.

...or even just being Christian tbh.

There was a news item fairl recently about a Catholic Church (in Soho I think) stopping its services for gay people. Why anyone would to go to one in the first place was beyond me.

The answer is that some people can't help having faith any more than they can be gay. I imagine that gay Christians simply choose not to believe the part of the Bible that describes homosexuality as a sin.

The problem with the whole gay/church thing is the idea that "the rules" on man love are set in stone as determined by the bible and can never be changed.

There was a news item fairl recently about a Catholic Church (in Soho I think) stopping its services for gay people. Why anyone would to go to one in the first place was beyond me.

The answer is that some people can't help having faith any more than they can be gay. I imagine that gay Christians simply choose not to believe the part of the Bible that describes homosexuality as a sin.

The problem with the whole gay/church thing is the idea that "the rules" on man love are set in stone as determined by the bible and can never be changed.

If they want to believe in a loving God who has no problem with them then fair enough - but that isnt Jehovah without a lot of accomodation.

Is there anything in the NT - after all the only bit exclusive to christianity I would have thought - about homosexuality being an abomination?

I don't buy the bold bit.

Being gay is natural, you see it in dozens of species. It's a basic instinct.

There's nowt natural about religion. You don't see all the other Macaque monkeys worshipping one Macaque in a big pointy hat holding a staff.

It's against our nature to agonise over being gay. Indoctrination into religion and punishment from those religions is more often forced upon people than a choice made out of an overwhelming urge to be part of an evil empire that institutionalises child rape.

I can't get my head around wanting to get married in a church.

Like wanting the kkk to christen your non-white baby.

Don't want to be in any sexist, racist, homophobic club that would have me as a member.

A bit simplistic. I might be wrong but you might be surprised what hoops you would be willing to jump through when your child(ren) is/are school age and the best school in the area is on your doorstep but it's catholic. This is the descrimination that really pisses me off.

There's nowt natural about religion. You don't see all the other Macaque monkeys worshipping one Macaque in a big pointy hat holding a staff.

It's against our nature to agonise over being gay. Indoctrination into religion and punishment from those religions is more often forced upon people than a choice made out of an overwhelming urge to be part of an evil empire that institutionalises child rape.

I'm an atheist and have very secular political beliefs, but this post is ridiculous. Macaque monkey's don't go to church? Wtf?

I'm an atheist and have very secular political beliefs, but this post is ridiculous. Macaque monkey's don't go to church? Wtf?

Glad you spotted the humour.

The point of homosexuality being a basic instinct while religion is an evolved/learned/inherted one at odds with basic instinct stands.

A bit simplistic. I might be wrong but you might be surprised what hoops you would be willing to jump through when your child(ren) is/are school age and the best school in the area is on your doorstep but it's catholic. This is the descrimination that really pisses me off.

Of course any kind of religious school is fundamentally wrong, but they're supported by the powers that be, so I suppose it's hard to argue against. I'd still like to think I'd choose not to send my kid there.

Is there anything in the NT - after all the only bit exclusive to christianity I would have thought - about homosexuality being an abomination?

Paul spoke against Lesbians but thats about it - and that was more about upsetting the patriarchy by dressing as blokes than anything sexual which like most religionists he would have been ignorant of anyway.

I didn't say it was natural. I said some people couldn't help it. You're letting your own hatred of religion getting in the way a bit here. Most people who are Christian (especially in this country, which is who we're talking about) are so because they were raised as such by their parents. Not due to an evil urge to indoctrinate their children, but because they believe it is the right thing to do, no matter how much you and I might disagree. Some of these keep their faith, and some of them turn out to be gay. Speak to any of them and I bet they'll regard their faith as central a part of who they are as their sexuality, and that neither is something they can change at will.

Basically there's a lot of bullshit in the bible that the church chooses to ignore. The problem is that if the church (certainly the Catholic church) reverses it's stance on this then they're open to questions on what else they've been wrong about. The reason that most church attendances are falling is because they are keeping pace with modern perceptions of what is right and what is wrong and are simply too entrenched in their own views.

:lol: I know that's brilliantly hammy, but it's a damn sight more than would have been possible on US, UK or any telly a decade or two ago. It's really interesting how quickly the status quo has shifted towards the "well, duh".

:lol: I know that's brilliantly hammy, but it's a damn sight more than would have been possible on US, UK or any telly a decade or two ago. It's really interesting how quickly the status quo has shifted towards the "well, duh".

To be fair, West Wing started 15 years back

They acquiesced to the possibility of aliens a few year back. Letting the grays in but not the gays.

Yeah they said it was ok for aliens not to believe in god. Of course a space fairing race hundreds of thousands of years old might have an idea or two about omniscience. ;)

Yeah they said it was ok for aliens not to believe in god. Of course a space fairing race hundreds of thousands of years old might have an idea or two about omniscience. ;)

Might even have passed themselves off as it once or twice, for shits, giggles and gold.

Edited by trophyshy

Gays should not be married in church. They should be forced to do it in a fitting location, like a public toilet cubicle or a flower shop

:D I love you, you twat. Regrettably, though, Heathcare has been irrelevant for nigh on eight years now. :(

I've been watching BBC Parliament for half an hour and pretty much hate everyone on both sides. This can't end well.